Texas SOT

Is there an effective state organization fighting for your 2nd Amendment rights in

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JonboyAU

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Sylvester, GA
    Texas? Sorry for my ignorance- I live in Georgia and have only recently read up on your state's carry laws. I found this forum in the course of encouraging my best friend (who lives in Waco) to arm himself and take responsibility for his own security. Honestly, I am quite surprised at the laws you have in place as it doesn't go with my mental image of Texas at all. Please don't take my attitude as some kind of superiority complex as Georgia had (and still has) some really bad laws too. We have had a long, hard fight to get some legislative relief and I am happy to report that over the last two years we have had some real accomplishments in regaining some of our 2nd Amendment rights. The "we" I refer to is an organization called Georgia Carry and I just wondered if you had a similar group in Texas that I could support.
    Gun Zone Deals

Rifleman55

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Re: Is there an effective state organization fighting for your 2nd Amendment rights i

We have the Texas State rifle association.

SiscoKid

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SE TEXAS
    Re: Is there an effective state organization fighting for your 2nd Amendment rights i

Contrary to what some have said about them, the TSRA in conjunction with Rick Perry has done wonders for our State gun rights. Every legislative session the last few times has passed one or more GOOD gun bills. Rick Perry attends every TSRA and NRA Banquet, usually speaks. He's an avid hunter and I bet one of the few governors in America who PACKS HEAT.

We could be worse off. We could still have that big mouth boozer Ann Richards bad mouthing Guns and Repugs.

And above all, anti-gun Obummer knows better than to "Mess with Texas".

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX

Texas? Sorry for my ignorance- I live in Georgia and have only recently read up on your state's carry laws. I found this forum in the course of encouraging my best friend (who lives in Waco) to arm himself and take responsibility for his own security. Honestly, I am quite surprised at the laws you have in place as it doesn't go with my mental image of Texas at all.

Such as?....................

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale

Tell your buddy to join the TSRA and the LSCDL. The TSRA has done some great stuff, but has some "gaps". The LSCDL is new, but looks like it should fill in the cracks quite nicely.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio

Honestly, I am quite surprised at the laws you have in place as it doesn't go with my mental image of Texas at all.

1. What was your image of Texas?
    2. We have some of the best gun laws in the nation for those who are pro 2A. Which laws are YOU refering to?

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin

Many people from out State are very surprised that open carry of handguns is generally illegal here.

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas

Make sure you buddy know's Texas doesnt have open carry Yet. Yall probably think we all have cowboy hat and 45's on our hips. Sorry to say the TV has once again misinformed the whole world. :deadhorse:
    Were working on it though. Except for the cowboy hat thing, mine is camo with Nugents signature on it.

JonboyAU

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Sylvester, GA

1. What was your image of Texas?
    2. We have some of the best gun laws in the nation for those who are pro 2A. Which laws are YOU refering to?

I guess I should say my image of a Texan. I picture an Texan to be an independent person that highly values personal liberty and constitutional rights- much more than an average American. Nothing to do with cowboy hats or six guns on your hips and everything to do with your history of being the Republic of Texas. I consider my mental image to be complimentary.

As far as what I find surprising, I would begin with the requirements to obtain and maintain a CHL. A costly day long class and a fee of $140 for an initial CHL and a half day renewal class and $70 to renew every 5 years? I guess it is nice that you can skip a class after THREE renewals. Do you have to take a driving test every time your renew your driver's license? Your rights shouldn't be a function of the cash in your pocket. It also seems to take quite a long time to receive your CHL. Texas has two and one half times the population of Georgia but only slightly more than half the license holders that we have- I would expect that the high expense of obtaining a CHL has a lot to do with that.

I do find it surprising that Texas does not allow open carry, but I don't plan to get in a big debate over it.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX

I guess I should say my image of a Texan. I picture an Texan to be an independent person that highly values personal liberty and constitutional rights- much more than an average American. Nothing to do with cowboy hats or six guns on your hips and everything to do with your history of being the Republic of Texas. I consider my mental image to be complimentary.

As far as what I find surprising, I would begin with the requirements to obtain and maintain a CHL. A costly day long class and a fee of $140 for an initial CHL and a half day renewal class and $70 to renew every 5 years? I guess it is nice that you can skip a class after THREE renewals. Do you have to take a driving test every time your renew your driver's license? Your rights shouldn't be a function of the cash in your pocket. It also seems to take quite a long time to receive your CHL. Texas has two and one half times the population of Georgia but only slightly more than half the license holders that we have- I would expect that the high expense of obtaining a CHL has a lot to do with that.

I do find it surprising that Texas does not allow open carry, but I don't plan to get in a big debate over it.

If you consider the history of gun laws in Texas you will see that it is much better now than just 15 years ago. Prior to 1995 it was generally unlawful to carry a handgun on or about your person. We had no method to even carry in our cars. Today, we can carry in most places with a license, and in our cars without a license if we are law abiding citizens. Without a CHL there are 6 other circumstances when carry of a handgun is lawful.

We have pretty much no restrictions on rifle and shotgun carry. It is unlawful to point it at someone or display in amanner calculated to cause alarm.

We have come a long way, and there are bills introduced this session to further increase our ability to carry.

Regarding open carry, of the times Texas allows the carry of handguns, open carry is allowed 50% of those circumstances. 13 % demands it, 38% prohibit open carry. It is true you cannot just generally strap on a six shooter to your hip in plain view and carry around. We also don't all ride horses. ;)

BTW, welcome to the forum.

JonboyAU

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Sylvester, GA

If you consider the history of gun laws in Texas you will see that it is much better now than just 15 years ago. Prior to 1995 it was generally unlawful to carry a handgun on or about your person. We had no method to even carry in our cars. Today, we can carry in most places with a license, and in our cars without a license if we are law abiding citizens. Without a CHL there are 6 other circumstances when carry of a handgun is lawful.

We have pretty much no restrictions on rifle and shotgun carry. It is unlawful to point it at someone or display in amanner calculated to cause alarm.

We have come a long way, and there are bills introduced this session to further increase our ability to carry.

Regarding open carry, of the times Texas allows the carry of handguns, open carry is allowed 50% of those circumstances. 13 % demands it, 38% prohibit open carry. It is true you cannot just generally strap on a six shooter to your hip in plain view and carry around. We also don't all ride horses. ;)

BTW, welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the welcome.

I think that you are getting at what I am really interested in learning- are the folks on this forum (who I certainly consider interested parties) satisfied with the current state of affairs with regard to carrying a weapon in Texas and if you are not, how are you working to change it? And how can I help?

In Georgia, we too have had some real issues with our RTKBA and we too have made some major strides. Last year, we finally saw the repeal of a 140 year old public gathering law that prohibited firearms carry at a "public gathering" but failed to define exactly what constituted a public gathering. That is certainly our most significant accomplishment to date. Over the last two years we have changed the laws to allow carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol, a bar with the owner's permission, on public transportation and in the unsecured areas of airports. We can now remain armed on school property when we drop off our kids, we can keep our firearms in our cars on college campuses and church parking lots. We have failed on church carry and school/college carry and in carrying in public (government) buildings. We have been able to put a time limit on issuance of carry permits and done away with minor legal violations that were decades old being a disqualifier to obtaining a carry permit.

We have accomplished these things mostly through the political process and occasionally by lawsuits against those that would deny our legal rights. There is still much to accomplish and there is always the need for constant vigilance to protect what we have gained from slipping away.

I don't write any of this in anything but a positive spirit- it is not meant to say Georgia is better than Texas or look at what a great organization I belong to in Georgia Carry (though I am proud to be a member and I do think it is a great organization)- I am just interested to learn more and look for mutual encouragement in a spirit of unity on the subject of our 2nd Amendment rights.

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas

Thanks for the welcome.

I think that you are getting at what I am really interested in learning- are the folks on this forum (who I certainly consider interested parties) satisfied with the current state of affairs with regard to carrying a weapon in Texas and if you are not, how are you working to change it? And how can I help?

In Georgia, we too have had some real issues with our RTKBA and we too have made some major strides. Last year, we finally saw the repeal of a 140 year old public gathering law that prohibited firearms carry at a "public gathering" but failed to define exactly what constituted a public gathering. That is certainly our most significant accomplishment to date. Over the last two years we have changed the laws to allow carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol, a bar with the owner's permission, on public transportation and in the unsecured areas of airports. We can now remain armed on school property when we drop off our kids, we can keep our firearms in our cars on college campuses and church parking lots. We have failed on church carry and school/college carry and in carrying in public (government) buildings. We have been able to put a time limit on issuance of carry permits and done away with minor legal violations that were decades old being a disqualifier to obtaining a carry permit.

We have accomplished these things mostly through the political process and occasionally by lawsuits against those that would deny our legal rights. There is still much to accomplish and there is always the need for constant vigilance to protect what we have gained from slipping away.

I don't write any of this in anything but a positive spirit- it is not meant to say Georgia is better than Texas or look at what a great organization I belong to in Georgia Carry (though I am proud to be a member and I do think it is a great organization)- I am just interested to learn more and look for mutual encouragement in a spirit of unity on the subject of our 2nd Amendment rights.
    We have some crap in the Texas Laws kinda like what you have in Georgia. Like you gatering law, we have " Calculate to Alarm" in the rifle laws and Disorderly conduct laws. So if you carry a rifle you'll go to jail becuse some libtard was " Alarmed". If someone simply calls the cops, " Oh my God he's got a gun", your going to jail. Some places in Texas dont enforce all that crap, but the Liberal Metro area do.
    It's all subject to change though. Lots of good people are working hard to make a difference in the Right to carry in Texas.
    True, prior to Janurary of 1996, Texans couldnt carry a handgun other than under the traveling exemption. Traveling, just like your "gathering" law, Is Not Defined in the Penal Code. So it pretty much your ass depending on what you get for a judge.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio

Welcome to the forum. Its good to hear that things are improving in GA.

Take what you hear on here with a grain of salt. There is some good info....and some inaccurate info as well.

For the record, Texans typically ARE very independant minded and DO value freedoms and constiutional rights. I dont believe that the fact that we have a CHL requirement in order to carry concealed would indicate otherwise.

JonboyAU

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Sylvester, GA

We have some crap in the Texas Laws kinda like what you have in Georgia. Like you gatering law, we have " Calculate to Alarm" in the rifle laws and Disorderly conduct laws. So if you carry a rifle you'll go to jail becuse some libtard was " Alarmed". If someone simply calls the cops, " Oh my God he's got a gun", your going to jail. Some places in Texas dont enforce all that crap, but the Liberal Metro area do.
    It's all subject to change though. Lots of good people are working hard to make a difference in the Right to carry in Texas.
    True, prior to Janurary of 1996, Texans couldnt carry a handgun other than under the traveling exemption. Traveling, just like your "gathering" law, Is Not Defined in the Penal Code. So it pretty much your ass depending on what you get for a judge.

Here is the public gathering law that now is gone:

16-11-127. (a) Except as provided in Code Section 16-11-127.1, a person is guilty of a misdemeanor when he or she carries to or while at a public gathering any explosive compound, firearm, or knife designed for the purpose of offense and defense. (b) For the purpose of this Code section, 'public gathering' shall include, but shall not be limited to, athletic or sporting events, churches or church functions, political rallies or functions, publicly owned or operated buildings, or establishments at which alcoholic beverages are sold for consumption on the premises. Nothing in this Code section shall otherwise prohibit the carrying of a firearm in any other public place by a person licensed or permitted to carry such firearm by this part. (c) This Code section shall not apply to competitors participating in organized sport shooting events. Law enforcement officers, peace officers retired from state or federal law enforcement agencies, judges, magistrates, solicitors-general, and district attorneys may carry pistols in publicly owned or operated buildings. (d) It is an affirmative defense to a violation of this Code section if a person notifies a law enforcement officer or other person employed to provide security for a public gathering of the presence of such item as soon as possible after learning of its presence and surrenders or secures such item as directed by the law enforcement officer or other person employed to provide security for a public gathering.

How can someone abide by the law when no one can clearly understand what the law is? That section of the law is the seed that started our entire organization.

JonboyAU

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Sylvester, GA

Welcome to the forum. Its good to hear that things are improving in GA.

Take what you hear on here with a grain of salt. There is some good info....and some inaccurate info as well.

For the record, Texans typically ARE very independant minded and DO value freedoms and constiutional rights. I dont believe that the fact that we have a CHL requirement in order to carry concealed would indicate otherwise.

Thanks!

I believe that an argument can be made that any state, including Georgia and Texas, that requires a license to bear arms is infringing on its citizens 2nd Amendment rights. I know that if I was a Texas resident I would, at the very least, be working to lower the cost and time required to obtain a CHL. This is not because I cant afford it, rather I do not want others denied protection because of their economic situation. I believe the training requirements (especially for renewal) in Texas are onerous and something I would work to repeal.

If you would like to know what we are working towards here I am glad to share our desired end result. Open carry with no license required, concealed carry with a license- carry only restricted in courthouses and jails. No training requirements, though we strongly advocate for training as a personal responsibility. Signs carry no legal weight here and we intend to keep it that way. Licenses available in a timely manner and at a reasonable price (currently under $80 here). I think that about covers it.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas

Thanks!

I believe that an argument can be made that any state, including Georgia and Texas, that requires a license to bear arms is infringing on its citizens 2nd Amendment rights.

If you look at the history of concealed carry across the nation you will see very few states had shall issue licenses as recently as 20 years ago. Texas was one of them. Much progress has been made.

Also, Texas is slow to change the laws, as our legislature only meets every other year and then only for 140 days. So we have had 1/2 the opportunities as many other states.

Top Bottom