Target Sports

Is there really a difference between .223 and 5.56 ammo?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RankAmateur

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2022
    New Braunfels
    Has anyone heard of a set of no-go gauges for .223 vs 5.56mm? I imagine that commercial barrel makers use the same reamer for both. Would some shop actually change reamers when making an AR-i5 vs bolt action gun?
    If there are any barrel makers out there, please chime in.
    Never heard of different gauges. Go/no-go gauges measure only headspace or cartridge base to shoulder datum. As the standard measurements in SAAMI/CIP diagrams show lengths of base to shoulder, base to neck, and shoulder angle to be the same between the cartridges, the length to datum should be the same too. Others may have better information, but I don' t recall that the description of a "looser" chamber for 5.56 x 45 means a longer case body, rather a potentially slightly wider chamber and a longer throat due to a different leade angle. So, I don't think the go/no-go gauges would be different?
    Capitol Armory ad

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    Has anyone heard of a set of no-go gauges for .223 vs 5.56mm? I imagine that commercial barrel makers use the same reamer for both. Would some shop actually change reamers when making an AR-i5 vs bolt action gun?
    This equates to the introduction of the Wylde chamber for the AR platform.

zackmars

Novice Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    5.56 and .223 use different reamers

With AR's, it has more to do with companies using worn out 5.56 reamers, vs .233 reamers.

zackmars

Novice Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    I've never been able to tell the difference between my 5.56 chambers and .223 wylde chambers.

Given the choice I'll take a 5.56

CavCop

CAVCOP on Rumble
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2016
    Central TX

As the gauges only check the chamber/head space and not the throat I have never noticed a difference testing thousands of Military rifles. I think a few places make 5.56 gauges. They say the 5.56 has a slightly longer head space.

I used 223 gauges for 20 plus years.

Attachments

• IMG_3388.jpeg
      IMG_3388.jpeg
      199.2 KB · Views: 40

zackmars

Novice Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    It’s just a better option for match ammo. Nothing more.
    I've heard people say that, but I haven't seen any conclusive proof that .223 wylde is better. Some of the best shooting AR's I've had have had 5.56 chambers. All my .223 wylde chambers were really nothing special.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    I've heard people say that, but I haven't seen any conclusive proof that .223 wylde is better. Some of the best shooting AR's I've had have had 5.56 chambers. All my .223 wylde chambers were really nothing special.
    Yes. I get told that. I don’t see much improvement

A1Oni

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2021
    Tejas
    for modern rifles, and post 580 series mini 14s the difference is virtually nill and most modern rifles use 5.56 spec barrels anyway.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    for modern rifles, and post 580 series mini 14s the difference is virtually nill and most modern rifles use 5.56 spec barrels anyway.
    <>

Someone elsewhere recently told me that they had a recent Mini14 stamped “5.56”.

Aren’t those receivers till “cast” ? And, if so; how significant is that ?

Last edited:

A1Oni

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2021
    Tejas
    <>

Someone elsewhere recently told me that they had a recent Mini14 stamped “5.56 NATO”.

Aren’t those receivers till “cast” ? And, if so; how significant is that ?
    mini 14 receivers have always been cast iirc but it doesnt really make that much of a difference considering mini 14s aren't that good, which im sure will draw ire and cope from some people but a 500 dollar AR will hold zero better than a new 1000 dollar mini 14.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    mini 14 receivers have always been cast iirc but it doesnt really make that much of a difference considering mini 14s aren't that good, which im sure will draw ire and cope from some people but a 500 dollar AR will hold zero better than a new 1000 dollar mini 14.
    <>

Yes, & Thanks.

Having owned Mini’s for decades, I’ve been puzzled by their ever increasing “value(s)”.

<>

zackmars

Novice Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    I do not get it either my man.

Economy of scale. Mini's had their moment in the sun back when Colt was the only name in civilian AR's, and back when people weren't making a huge fuss about needing to ban them.

Then the AWB hit, all of the sudden everyone wanted what the government said they shouldn't have. Plus Bill's 10 rounds comments drew a lot of fire.

A1Oni

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2021
    Tejas
    Economy of scale. Mini's had their moment in the sun back when Colt was the only name in civilian AR's, and back when people weren't making a huge fuss about needing to ban them.

Then the AWB hit, all of the sudden everyone wanted what the government said they shouldn't have. Plus Bill's 10 rounds comments drew a lot of fire.
    eh, I think by the time of the SGW and Bushmaster ARs, the MIni-14 was starting to fade.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    I don’t think it’s that black and white. Having been buying in the awb market, it was definitely the ar’s market to take hold of and it eventually did.

The mini14 is an inferior design but so are akm’s and surplus bolt actions. With that said there’s a nostalgia that comes with some guns.

The ar market became so over saturated that I’d take a mini 14 over a terrible brand/build. some brands and builds are terrible and I wouldn’t trust out in the middle of nowhere. The accuracy of a mini can be laughed at, but when all parts are gtg in the older second gens; I’d trust a mini over certain cheap ar’s to not fail me.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    eh, I think by the time of the SGW and Bushmaster ARs, the MIni-14 was starting to fade.
    <>

The attraction of the Mini14 to us older Guys was that it LOOKED a lot like a M14 or even a Garand.

Remember that the first “Stoners” were just awful and we all wanted some “REAL” rifles back, The problems were partly lube, partly ammo, and the rest minor design issues.

(continued under “rants”)

leVieux

Top Bottom