Patriot Mobile

It's enjoyable watching the 22 Neckbeards panic.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CrazedJava

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2013
    DFW
    Aside from .22, have you seen the Glock magazine hoarders? Check the prices on gunbroker for Glock17 mag LOTs. These guys are so desperately holding on to the dream!

That's idiotic. Even during the panic, Glock mags were among the first pistol mags to reappear. They're made in such huge quantities that I knew the supply would catch up to the demand eventually.
    Gun Zone Deals

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    22LR is coming back nicely.
    I've scored over 3000rds of CCI Mini-Mag 40grn locally in the last two weeks. At pre-panic prices to boot.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    My wife brought home a slip of paper with a list of ammo and prices. Some guy at work said his brother has a great deal on HTF ammo so get it now! 22lr at higher prices than I just found online. He's a neckbeard from Ark.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    From where I sit, the "Neck Beards" were just a bunch of fictional scapegoat characters who magically cornered the market and resold .22 LR at three times it was worth. Damn near everyone who panicked and bought everything in sight was them selves by definition a "Neck Beard", even if they did not flip it.

Upon reflection, if anyone ever looked, you would have seen a disturbing trend that very many, brick and mortar gun shops put their .22 LR inventory for sale on-line at inflated prices instead of selling it to their regular customers (even then, they held some back for $75 per brick).

It is simple math: Domestic manufacturers can only produce about 8 million rounds per day. They claim they are working 24/7. That is bull shit. Machines need down time for maintenance and calibration, workers need rest, and raw materials must be available for production. Just one hiccup, and the line stops.

At 8 Million rounds produced per day, that amounts to about 16,000 five hundred round bricks per day. If all that production per day went to just WalMart, each store would only get four 500 round bricks per day.

That number gets even more confused, because not all .22 LR comes in tidy 500 round boxes. Today we have a mind numbing assortment of 50, 100, 222, 225, 300, 325, 333, 375, 500, 525, and 555 count boxes of ammo. Then, there is the whopper of a 1,400 round bucket of bullets and a 1,600 count plastic ammo box.

Other retailers like Academy, Dick's, Gander Mountain, Cabela's, and Bass Pro also have orders for .22 LR.

There is no way Wally will get their full allocation, because they pay the least. That is why their shelves are always empty.

On the other hand, Academy, Bass Pro, Gander Mountain, and LGS's do get their shipments, and we have to pay more to play these days.

Factor in the established on-line vendors like Midway USA, Graf & Sons, Target Sports, Palmetto State, among many others, and the domestic supply is woefully insufficient.

I've scratched my itch for .22 LR by paying the same price for high quality Norma USA Tac-22, SK Standard Plus, and Wolf Match Target that costs the same as domestically produced bulk "blaster" ammo.

The ammo is out there, you just have to adjust to a "new normal" and discover that the high quality ammo we never considered is now competitive to high priced American bulk.

$75 for a box of 525 Winchester or $58 for a box of 500 Norma Tac-22?

Be well.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I want to tell y'all something.
    While I appreciate accuracy from a gun/ammo combination, I respect the tissue damage aspect even more.
    I grew up with guns that had a purpose. Varmint and predator control being the #1.
    .22 lr or a shotgun handled most all of it. Sure, we hunted. Mostly dove and quail for sport, coyote and bobcat for some stash cash from the fur buyers.
    The 1st gun I bought for myself was a 10-22. Around 1977 or so. Plain as they came.
    I got a brick of ammo. Not hollow points. Dad always bought hollow points.
    I plinked around with it. Had some fun with the rapid fire a 10-22 can deliver.

One evening a possum camu up on the porch and was feasting on cat food frpm the bowl. I eased the door open and at about 1' I plugged the varmint in the boiler room. It turned nonchalantly and started walking away. I steadily pumped it's carcass full of lead while it ambled off the porch and around the corner of the house.
    I've never kept anything but hollow points in my .22s since.
    When I stock up on rimfire, a remington golden bullet beats a eley match for me.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I can't find CCI HP mini Mag here local. Other than that supplies are looking up.

Cables in Allen had around 3k on Wednesday. Didn't see one person willing to pay $9 for 100. FYI, they usually get those on Tuesday, but still had some on Wed.

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    Confirmed Neckbeard Sighting:

Seen first hand at the show in Midland today.

500 round loose pack Remington Thunderbolt - $75.00

50 round Aguila Colibri (yes, the same box we can pick up at just about any Academy for $5.99 a box) - $25.00

Very nicely and in a low voice so that those around me wouldn't hear I told him that I'm not looking for .22 ammo and I know it's none of my business what he choses to ask for his personal property but just a heads up, both Academys have the same stuff in stock and have for a while for $5.99.

He said 'well, I gotta get out of em what auh got in em plus they got them limits over there at them Academys.' (No they don't)

Meanwhile the fat hairy thing sitting next to him who I assume was his wife stared at me like I was Satan on earth.

When I walked off I heard the fat hairy thing say loudly 'What a fucking asshole'.

I was very polite, quiet and non-confrontational.

The neckbeards exist. I met one face to face today.

Last edited:

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Those little 40-round boxes are EVIL, I say. 38 gr Copper Plated Hollow Points.

Federal is following the ice cream and cereal model, sell less quantity for the same price we are used to.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone

50 round Aguila Colibri (yes, the same box we can pick up at just about any Academy for $5.99 a box) - $25.00

Very nicely and in a low voice so that those around me wouldn't hear I told him that I'm not looking for .22 ammo and I know it's none of my business what he choses to ask for his personal property but just a heads up, both Academys have the same stuff in stock and have for a while for $5.99.

He said 'well, I gotta get out of em what auh got in em plus they got them limits over there at them Academys.' (No they don't)

Meanwhile the fat hairy thing sitting next to him who I assume was his wife starred at me like I was Satan on earth.

When I walked off I heard the fat hairy thing say loudly 'What a fucking asshole'.

I love when people look at me like I'm Satan! Especially ignorant assholes.

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    I love when people look at me like I'm Satan! Especially ignorant assholes.

10665745_10153295927994408_9124824578730983789_n.jpg

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013

Meanwhile the fat hairy thing sitting next to him who I assume was his wife stared at me like I was Satan on earth.

When I walked off I heard the fat hairy thing say loudly 'What a $#@!ing $#@!'.

Did the wife have a neckbeard too?

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    At the absolute height of the .22LR drought I never paid more than $.1 per round.

RWS (RUAG Ammotech GmbH) is good ammunition, the company dates back to 1865 and is a direct descendant of Alfred Nobel & Co. I bought a 1000 rounds of 40gr. Target Rifle from Sportsman's Guide for 95.00 and shoot it from my Ruger MkIII and my Lee Enfield .22 Mk IV* WWI training rifle. It's very accurate stuff.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    At the absolute height of the .22LR drought I never paid more than $.1 per round.

RWS (RUAG Ammotech GmbH) is good ammunition, the company dates back to 1865 and is a direct descendant of Alfred Nobel & Co. I bought a 1000 rounds of 40gr. Target Rifle from Sportsman's Guide for 95.00 and shoot it from my Ruger MkIII and my Lee Enfield .22 Mk IV* WWI training rifle. It's very accurate stuff.

Since I can never find them after I shoot, I don't reload 32. I've been shooting RWS 32 for long while. I first bought because they were cheap. But they are very accurate. Found some 9's cheap and bought a few of those too. Good ammo.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    RWS is very good ammo.
    Norma is too.

The Neckbeards are alive and well in my AO.
    They've pretty much confined themselves to Wal-Mart these days thankfully.
    There are about 6 of them who work as a tag team on the two local Wal-Marts. The stores are about 10 minute drive apart.
    Two or three go to one, the other two or three to the other.
    When the ammo comes out they call each other and then race back/forth to the opposite Wal-Mart and scarf up all the .22 they can.
    One of them then goes to the Academy and camps out until they open.

Top Bottom