• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jparks54

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Fruitvale
    Each will only teach you about that particular platform. Building an AR wll teach you nothing about an AK. Then understanding the effects of shorter barrels on cycling and little things like that. Most won't make much difference to the average range shooter.

10/22s are pretty simple guns as they are. Most everything bolts together same as an AR. AKs can be built and are pretty involved but my understanding is that building is just as expensive as buying right now.

If you have little or no experience an AR would be the easiest. A 1911 would probably be a nightmare without a lot of help from someone who is very knowledgable. Same for an AK.

Get a real cheap gun, mosin, Hipoint, or something else that you won't mind tearing up. Take it home, shoot it, and try to fix things you don't like about it, and shoot it again to see if you got the results you expected.

What Tyoe of gunsmith work are you wanting to do, is there a particular platform or firearm you like?

I want to learn every thing about all of the platforms I mentioned. Just don't know the order I will do them in. The 1911 will be some what soon as i will be doing that instead of getting a class ring.
    Gun Zone Deals

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Won't really matter which one you do first then. Sounds like your settled on the 1911.

I'm guessing High school class ring.....if so you got plenty of time. Take armorer courses instead of college courses. Work at a gun shop or with a gunsmith instead of some part time job.

Someone had a thread about an online gunsmith course a while back before the big crash and it's probably buried here somewhere. Can't remember who the course was given by but no amount of studying and tests will replace hands on experience so both will be needed if you want to be successful.

Your location says Dublin. Do you plan to set up shop in that area? If so, what is the most common firearm in the area? Is it one that would be a good candidate for supplying gunsmith work?

Figure out where what platform would supply most of your business and start with that. Learn the right way to mount a scope. Getting them level is a huge PITA and I would gladly pay to have my scopes mounted for me just to avoid the hassle. Wouldn't be that hard to learn, relatively little investment, and business from lazy people like me.

Also, please punctuate a little better. Some of your posts are kinda hard to read.

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    Someone had a thread about an online gunsmith course a while back before the big crash and it's probably buried here somewhere. Can't remember who the course was given by but no amount of studying and tests will replace hands on experience so both will be needed if you want to be successful. ...

I had the thread on that, it was Penn Foster.

jparks54

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Fruitvale
    Won't really matter which one you do first then. Sounds like your settled on the 1911.

I'm guessing High school class ring.....

Also, please punctuate a little better. Some of your posts are kinda hard to read.

Is that what made you think high school? I'm sorry I'm awful in grammar and spelling so sorry for my punctuation just be glad there is spell check lol. Any way no I'm Married and in collage. That is why I can't get with a gunsmith right now as I work 50+ hours a week and go to class full time. I still have 2.5 years till I'm out but my wife will finish in December (I'm older than her it's just I slacked in high school and she took half her collage or more in high school and I changed majors after my first year so that was 2 semesters waisted) any way after she graduates and gets a job ill be able to settle with me having less pay that's when I plan to start getting with a gunsmith and taking armorers classes.

As for staying in Dublin no I don't plan to stay here I'm either looking at the outskirts of Waco or outskirts of DFW. Ideally would be me getting a job at a firearm factory after I graduate.

Thinking about it a little longer it will probably be best for me to start a career along my field of study build up some funds while learning more gunsmithing and all other aspects of guns and than opening a shop.

Oh and my major is industrial technology/ industrial engineer that's were the manufacturing side comes from I love working on the lathes mills and cnc's

I will never work on another's firearm unless I am confidant in my ability even when working on mine I take every precaution when testing.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Is that what made you think high school? I'm sorry I'm awful in grammar and spelling so sorry for my punctuation just be glad there is spell check lol. Any way no I'm Married and in collage. That is why I can't get with a gunsmith right now as I work 50+ hours a week and go to class full time. I still have 2.5 years till I'm out but my wife will finish in December (I'm older than her it's just I slacked in high school and she took half her collage or more in high school and I changed majors after my first year so that was 2 semesters waisted) any way after she graduates and gets a job ill be able to settle with me having less pay that's when I plan to start getting with a gunsmith and taking armorers classes.

As for staying in Dublin no I don't plan to stay here I'm either looking at the outskirts of Waco or outskirts of DFW. Ideally would be me getting a job at a firearm factory after I graduate.

Thinking about it a little longer it will probably be best for me to start a career along my field of study build up some funds while learning more gunsmithing and all other aspects of guns and than opening a shop.

Oh and my major is industrial technology/ industrial engineer that's were the manufacturing side comes from I love working on the lathes mills and cnc's

I just connected "class ring" with high school. Didn't do much college and never really though about rings for it.

Take some courses, apply what you learn to your firearms for practice, then consider making money with it.

Best advice I know to give. Free advice and nothing more than outside opinion. Keep in mind, doing something for a living has the ability to make you hate a hobby you enjoy, lol.

jparks54

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Fruitvale
    I just connected "class ring" with high school. Didn't do much college and never really though about rings for it.

Best advice I know to give. Free advice and nothing more than outside opinion. Keep in mind, doing something for a living has the ability to make you hate a hobby you enjoy, lol.

That's an understandable conclusion. My wife has been going on and on about class rings so I thought hey sounds like a good reason to get a 1911 lol.

Ya that keeps going through my mind to. But I've also heard from many people if you love/ enjoy what you do you'll never work a day in your life.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Yeah, I feel like if I get get paid to shoot I would probably not mind working.

jparks54

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Fruitvale
    Much better than most jobs right...

I have another question. What firearm manufacturers are located here in Texas and were in Texas?

Last edited:

willypete9

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2013
    longview,tx area
    ya no im not a real fart smeller but ya no the difernce in a misspelling cud be the difernce in life or deth! imo I don't see how you can get into college if you cant spell it!

jparks54

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Fruitvale
    ya no im not a real fart smeller but ya no the difernce in a misspelling cud be the difernce in life or deth! imo I don't see how you can get into college if you cant spell it!

Funny thing is is that's the auto correct from my phone and tablet I thought it was ege but went with my phone. They didn't give me a spelling test to get in other wise I wouldn't have got in lol

Top Bottom