Texas SOT

I've had some primers (400) sitting in the garage since Feb, and since forgot about them, It hasn't been horrible outside, they OK to load up?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alpha.Geek

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2021
    Tyler "suburbs"... :)
    They were in the garage for at least 5 months, in the cold, raining humidity, and now the heat...
    Still in the fiberboard sleeve-boxes and taped together, yet I forgot they were in there until I went to go tumble some brass, and realized I don't know where the Brasso is either... :(

I REALLY don't want to load them up, if I have to pull 400 rounds if there are issues... and I have to tap multiple 124gr PC 9mm out of some barrels.
    I think they are probably okay, not neglected for years of cold, humidity, and heat... just these last 5 months or so...
    They came out of the ammo can, in a controlled environment like 9 months ago, were in the house, and came with me in the car through the move.

I think they are prolly still okay, but...
    Think they are still good with all the rain we had the beginning of this year, due to humidity, cold, and then the recent heat in just cardboard sleeves?

Would you load them up?
    (No I am not selling them to some sucker... I need all the primers I can get.) :)
    Hurley's Gold

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    Hit them with a hammer. If they go bang they good.

I'm just kidding ofcourse
    I'm not kidding. The AmmoLoad primer tube loader at the local PD range had a habit of spitting out a few every so often. Step on one just right and they will go off. Known to cause stains in underwear. Every so often the operator would put on the hearing protection and glasses, grab a claw hammer and "clean" the floor of live ones. Better than sitting there peacefully watching the machine run and have one go off.

Alpha.Geek

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2021
    Thanks for the all the input, I've only been reloading for like 10.5 years,
    but I have always had a dedicated cool room in the house to increase
    logevity, in case primers and power need to be stored long-term.

Alpha.Geek

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2021
    I wonder how hot it gets in that UPS truck?
    Hot on the outside of the truck, but shaded inside the truck, and they always have their door and/or windows open, like the USPS, so not as hot on the inside, as cases are in a cardboard outer box (case), then an inner cardboard box (brick), then individual sleeves made of cardboard and plastic, usually. I believe fiberboard/cardboard is a pretty-good insulator, especially in cases of 5000 with congregation on the out-most layer (adding additional air pockets of insulation, in addition).

They are generally in a UPS truck, for only 8-10 hours, max, I assume.

On the porch, maybe a few, to 8- hours max, normally, under 3 layers of cardboard (and again the outmost layer being congregated cardboard, with air pocket for most UPS, USPS, and FedEx packages I receive.

(I assume the factory has humidity control, as well as temp-controlled factory-storage, too.)

Last edited:

hornetguy

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 21, 2021
    Allen, Texas
    I would load them and shoot them. I've read that powder (and I assume primers) are ok even after prolonged temps up to 130-140 degrees. My garage has never gotten over 101 degrees (digital thermocouple measurement).... I don't worry about it.

twarr1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2021
    Austin
    Primers are a primary explosive, they will last pretty much forever, unlike smokeless powder which starts deteriorating the minute it's made

Top Bottom