Jonathan Arthur Ciener .22LR Conversion

Discussion in 'General Firearms & Ammo' started by netxhomesteader, Aug 6, 2009.

1. netxhomesteader

netxhomesteader New Member

Jul 17, 2009
    Richmond
    :332: I guess I'm going to rant here. But I want other folks who are considering buying a .22LR conversion for their AK-47 or other guns to hear about my personal experience with Mr. Ciener.

I ordered my conversion kit in January 2009 after reading several articles in the various gun mags. With the ammo shortage and the way the 7.62x39 went up in price, it sounded like the right thing to do. Here it is August 2009 and I still don't have my conversion kit!:headscratch: I've tried several times to call J.A. Ciener, but to no avail. :banghead: I finally sent a letter to them and received a short response. "you've waited this long, don't cancel now." Wow, now I feel better.....:mad0071:

Recently, I found a link generated from someone who's experienced similar service from Ciener. http://www.donotbuyciener22lrconversions.org/

So I know the idea of being able to plink with .22 rounds sounds good, I don't think Jonathan Arthur Ciener is the best option. I'll post again when I get my kit.

2. baboon

baboon Well-Known

I've never heard anything good a Ciener's customer service. I heard more about him screwing people over then anything. I guess that's why CMMG came out with a conversion kit.

3. Army 1911

Army 1911 Well-Known

Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    What gun is this for? I have seen several conversions at various gun shows, Glock, EEA and others. You might look into other brands.

4. TriggerTime

TriggerTime Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Houston, Texas
    When the ammo crisis was at its darkest, and trying to practice for Service Rifle Competition was impossible because I couldn't find any match .308 and the only .223 was 55 grain stuff and no 77's or 69 match, I sucked it up and ordered a Compass Lake Engineering dedicated .22lr upper with a Douglas barrel for my AR-15.

It has been one of the best decisions I've ever made in my life. Compass Lake is absolutely outstanding quality and they are wonderful folks to deal with. They told me that it would take 3 weeks to build and get to me and they beat that. With my sling and shooting coat on I can keep them in the 10 ring at 100 yards in sitting and prone and offhand is pretty good too.

Plus, I sure love being able to practice and shoot as many rounds as I want without going broke. A brick of match 22lr can be had for about $50 from the right sources.

Sorry to hear about your experience and sure hope it gets made right soon.

5. TSU45

TSU45 Active Member

Jun 6, 2008
    San Marcos, Tx
    If you don't mind me asking, how much does that kit run with the sleeved barrel? I see WASR-22s still popping up for around $300. Might be worth it just to get a dedicated gun and not deal with ciener. Baboon about sums up everything I've heard about ciener.

6. TxEMTP69

TxEMTP69 TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
    I know advantage arms has a glock conversion, i've heard absolute crap about ceiners and been told to stay away.

7. netxhomesteader

netxhomesteader New Member

Jul 17, 2009
    Richmond
    Thanks, the conversion was for my Romanian AK-47. Nice gun, I just wanted to be able to shoot it more often. :fighting0002: The kit with an extra magazine was $258. When I was trying to decide if I wanted to buy this, I couldn't find any negatives about Ciener. Now I'm starting to find lots of comments that would have probably talked me out of making the purchase. For now, I continue to wait and and chalk it up to lesson learned.:crazy-1:

8. Hoji

Hoji Bowling-Pin Commando

May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Thank you for the product/customer service review.

9. jwise

jwise New Member

Jun 17, 2009
    Spring
    I love my Ciener kit for the AR-15. However, I like the Blackdog Machine magazines WAY better than the Ciener mags.

I've heard to never order from the factory, as it is a pain to deal with. If you can find them in stock, they are a good buy.

10. JKTex

JKTex Well-Known

Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    Ciener has had an absolutely horrible reputation for a long time.