• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wakosama

Collapse now - Avoid the rush
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2022
    Spring
    In nice condition, came with several mags. the old guy never shot it and kept it loaded on a shelf in his closet. the mags have been loaded for at least 5 years. worried the springs are worn out. what do you think?
    Texas SOT

wakosama

Collapse now - Avoid the rush
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2022
    Spring
    It's not my first, and that's already taken care of. Ballistol still stinks. just wondering about the mag springs. tks.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    In nice condition, came with several mags. the old guy never shot it and kept it loaded on a shelf in his closet. the mags have been loaded for at least 5 years. worried the springs are worn out. what do you think?
    take it out and shoot it if they are worn out shooting it will tell you real quick !

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Found a loaded mag in the trunk of my car under the spare tire that had to have been there for years. Worked fine.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Springs don't wear out from being compressed for long periods. They wear out from being extended, then compressed, then extended, then compressed, rinse, repeat, etc., etc.

As stated, clean it then take it to the range. If the springs are worn out, it will let you know. If it functions fine, then you're golden!

Plus, unless it's a defensive weapon, then there's no real worry!

Gordo

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2023
    San Antonio
    The only mags I've ever had issues with being stored loaded were TAPCO plastic SKS mags.
    Went to the mag storage closet one day, and the 120 rounds that were in the mags for nearly a decade here mostly on the floor.
    The wonderful plastic lips had relaxed, and let the rounds do their own thing...
    Never a plastic magazine in my stash ever again, thank you.

Springs can go bad, but only after thousands, and thousands of cycles, like on a car engine over years.
    I know there are some trigger happy folks around, but doubt if even they will ever hit those kinds of numbers.

red442joe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2022
    Michigan
    The only mags I've ever had issues with being stored loaded were TAPCO plastic SKS mags.
    Went to the mag storage closet one day, and the 120 rounds that were in the mags for nearly a decade here mostly on the floor.
    The wonderful plastic lips had relaxed, and let the rounds do their own thing...
    Never a plastic magazine in my stash ever again, thank you.

Springs can go bad, but only after thousands, and thousands of cycles, like on a car engine over years.
    I know there are some trigger happy folks around, but doubt if even they will ever hit those kinds of numbers.
    Just a fyi
    Gen 3 P-Mags use a clip/cover that holds rounds down to take the load off the feed lips.

Joe

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Springs don't wear out from being compressed for long periods. They wear out from being extended, then compressed, then extended, then compressed, rinse, repeat, etc., etc.

As stated, clean it then take it to the range. If the springs are worn out, it will let you know. If it functions fine, then you're golden!

Plus, unless it's a defensive weapon, then there's no real worry!

Learn something new every day

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    thanks all. I did cheat. I had a strip and clean youtube bookmarked.
    I've had my Mark I Target model since 1978. The first time I field stripped it was a real struggle reassembling it. Pretty much the same thing every time until the advent of the internet. Just by pure luck everything would unexplainably fall in place. There are many YouTube videos on reassembly of the Ruger Mark series. None of them seem to follow the same procedure and not all of them work.

A1Oni

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2021
    Tejas
    springs only get worn by constant use, if they are only compressed they should be fine.

Top Bottom