• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free
    meals and food stamps ever.

Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the
    Animals."

Their stated reason for the policy is because the animals will grow dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves.

This ends today's lesson... :banghead:

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    Hugh Hewitt was ranting on his radio show last night about this. Did you know that the USDA is doing a series of radio infomercials in the form of 30 minute soap operas (or Telenovias) on Spanish only speaking radio stations urging everyone, legal or not, regardless of income to apply for the food stamp program? Don't believe they would do such a thing? Check it out:

USDA uses Spanish soap operas to encourage Food Stamp participation

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Food stamps are not as easy to get as everyone keeps saying. Let me put a face to the Food Stamp program....ME and my family. Although we were dropped from the program. I keep reading here on my favorite forum that apparently I shouldn't be able to vote, I should be drug tested, and sterilized...
    I hope that none of you and your families EVER have to go through this crap... But if you do, you can be assured I wouldn't be putting you and your families down. If it makes you guy's feel better I sold my LAST carry weapon the other day, and pawned and lost all my inherited family jewelry, cuz I should wouldn't want to be seen wearing my late uncle's gold ring while using the lonestar card. But beings we were dropped from the program early, we don't have to worry about that...

I hope the humiliation is going to be worth this post... but I have been reading this stuff for a long time and feeling me and my family were being dumped on every time I see a Food stamp rant...

"but for the grace of GOD, there go I"
    My apologies Skip. Hate to hear it.

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    come on skip i know you better than that, the diff is some truly need and some dont.
    im talking about those who dont need it but taking it anyway

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    Food stamps are not as easy to get as everyone keeps saying. Let me put a face to the Food Stamp program....ME and my family. Although we were dropped from the program. I keep reading here on my favorite forum that apparently I shouldn't be able to vote, I should be drug tested, and sterilized...
    I hope that none of you and your families EVER have to go through this crap... But if you do, you can be assured I wouldn't be putting you and your families down. If it makes you guy's feel better I sold my LAST carry weapon the other day, and pawned and lost all my inherited family jewelry, cuz I should wouldn't want to be seen wearing my late uncle's gold ring while using the lonestar card. But beings we were dropped from the program early, we don't have to worry about that...

I hope the humiliation is going to be worth this post... but I have been reading this stuff for a long time and feeling me and my family were being dumped on every time I see a Food stamp rant...

Deep Breath....

Ok. I was not going to respond to this but I decided to anyway because maybe I can help you see the problem.

First, a little about myself. When I got out of the Army in the mid nineties I had a very hard time finding full time employment and was homeless for almost two years. I never took government assistance during that time because it was just me (no family yet) and I was able to feed myself by eating cheap (ramin every day for every meal) and stretching every single dollar that I could get picking up an odd job here and there. I lived in a barn for a while (was trespassing but never caught) and occasionally slept on friends couches. My stretch of homelessness ended when I moved into the dorm at college (thank God for the G. I. Bill).
    Over the years since graduating from College I formed, and succeeded with, a corporation that provides legal services for oil and gas companies. I built the company by hard, honest work and used (and still use) the money handling lessons that I learned while homeless (you'd be surprised what you can do once you learn to live on $30.00 or less a month). I have been so blessed that now my friends (who's couches I used to sleep on) call me their 'rich friend'. In fact several of them work for my company and have for years.

These rants that you read about the welfare system should be viewed for exactly what they are. They are a true and honest expression of the frustration that we feel about the system itself. The system is as broken and misused as any system has ever been. Just today I stopped at Walmart in Midland on my way in from work. I stood in line and watched while EVERY person in front of me paid for their cart loads with Lone Star cards. I was the ONLY person in that line who paid with actual earned money. One extremely over weight woman paid for her groceries with her Lone Star card then paid cash for the three cases of Bud Light in her cart and a carton of Marlboro Reds. For what she paid for the beer and smokes she could have easily covered the groceries and then some. Did I just happen to be in Walmart on EBT day? No. This happens every day all over the United States. I am right smack dab in the middle of the area that has the lowest unemployment rate in the country, maybe even the world. There are so many jobs out here that anyone who is willing to work can have one. People from all across the country are flooding to this area because of the jobs here and all I see in the Walmart are Lone Star cards being used by people who are certainly capable of working. Have a too low paying job? Get another one. Jobs are everywhere here.

But guess what; you will have to pass a drug test to get most of them, the higher paying ones anyway. Do I believe that those receiving government assistance should have to take a drug test? ABSOFREAKINGLUTELY!!! Millions of Americans take drug tests every day for the privilege of obtaining a job and paying the taxes that fund the system that is being bilked and misused everyday.

I have never heard of anyone calling for sterilization of those on assistance and I'm pretty sure you said that tongue in cheek. I have on the other hand heard people calling for sterilization of the mom with 12 kids to different dads who is on assistance, or the 'baby daddy' with 15 kids that he does absolutely nothing to support. I don't think you fit into either of those catagories.

The purpose of my post and adding the link to the news story was to show just one more way that the system is being used and abused. It is nothing more than vote buying. I hope you can see that for what it is.

Is assistance needed? Yes, definitely. Is it abused? Yes, definitely. It should be a safety net, not the hammock that it has become.

I sincerely hope that if things have not turned around for you and your family that it will soon. You seem like a very likeable guy and I am sure you are a great father. I wish you and your family the very best and will offer you this: if things are bad send me a PM. I may be able to help and will keep it strictly confidential.

TLDR; I know.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Never saw a post on this forum that called for sterilization of food stamp recipients.

Never saw a post on this forum that called for suspension of voter rights while on public assistance.

But I have seen too many able-bodied and tattooed fat women with two or more children checking out at HEB with a basket full of junk food and sodas with a Lone Star Card, pay for their smokes and beer in cash, then climb into a late model SUV to go wherever they go.

Why does the Government want to do what churches, soup kitchens, and food banks used to do?

Because people wanting to help people don't let the lazy "get over" so they have enough left-over money to fuel their bad habits.

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    Never saw a post on this forum that called for sterilization of food stamp recipients.

Never saw a post on this forum that called for suspension of voter rights while on public assistance.

But I have seen too many able-bodied and tattooed fat women with two or more children checking out at HEB with a basket full of junk food and sodas with a Lone Star Card, pay for their smokes and beer in cash, then climb into a late model SUV to go wherever they go.

Why does the Government want to do what churches, soup kitchens, and food banks used to do?

Because people wanting to help people don't let the lazy "get over" so they have enough left-over money to fuel their bad habits.

Exactly! Although I would have worded it differently.

Elbe

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    San Antonio

You yourself have made posts calling for the suspension of voting rights while on public assistance. See post #10.

http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/politics/35834-welfare-reform.html

RandomHero

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2011
    Northwest San Antonio
    come on skip i know you better than that, the diff is some truly need and some dont.
    im talking about those who dont need it but taking it anyway

my kids mother (baby momma) and her new husband are fully capable of working, but dont. he is 35(?) she is 24 and they have 2 kids from his first marriage, 2 kid from their own, and then mine. Like i said, they do not work, they live with his parents and the last i heard they were getting $900+ in food coupons.

RandomHero

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2011
    Northwest San Antonio

TxBigfoot

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2011
    Red Oak
    People should be drug tested when they receive welfare, it's not humiliating or insulting when I have to take one for work. A lot of people on welfare don't know what it really means to be poor. I see them drive nicer cars than me, and I work 50 hrs a week a lot of times. These people keep spitting kids out and make a career out of it.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Skip,

I've always been single and moved and worked all the way down the center of the nation. In that time, I was wiped out to the last Dollar twice. The bastards that got me worst were the companies that paid once per month. I started in the middle of the month so I had to work a month and a half before I got a full check. I've always worked and earned my own money but sometimes things don't go exactly the way we plan. Stuff happens and folks get hurt. My taxes pay for your assistance and I say it's money well spent.

You have seen people abuse the system as I have. When we blast the cheaters, it's well said and they deserve it. At Wally World last week, I was behind two ladies hauling baskets of food out of there. The bill was $400+ and guess how they paid? I had my usual $50 load paid for by me. That just isn't right and people do milk the system. If the brush we paint with is a bit too wide and you get some on you, it is not intended. There are always exceptions.

Flash

FlashBang

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Bastrop TX
    I am all for giving food stamps and welfare to those who are truly in need and cannot take care pf themselves, however, I am NOT in favor of giving it to those who are fit and able to work and refuse to; or those in this country illegally. The elderly and infirm should be helped, but not the 20 year old mother or father of 6 that sleeps all day and hangs on the corner all night. When I was on the force, I would see brand new Hummers, people decked out with gold "grills" and chains hanging around their necks, and living in free public housing. The City/County had a program that offered FREE job training to help people get off welfare, provided their books, a check while in training and helped place them after they completed the training. The program got shut down, not because it cost to much but because no one was using it. Welfare should be a transition stage until you get back on your feet, it should not be a way of life to be handed down from generation to generation.

Top Bottom