Target Sports

Just hit my one-year mark in San Antonio...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldwisemonk

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2023
    San Antonio
    ...and I love it here.

Been slowly posting and lurking here in TGT, and somehow managed to forget the intro. So here 'tid.

My mom is from Thailand and my dad is a tobacco farmer white boy from North Carolina. My dad met my mom when he was stationed in northeast Thailand during the Vietnam War. I like to say I'm one of the good things to come out of that war. Most of the ink on my body is in honor of them. My mom and my dad are my heroes.

Grew up an Army brat, traveling the globe, but mostly lived in Utah.

I'm currently a digital product designer, but in my past life I was a videographer and photographer on Hickam Air Force Base, HI, and Dugway Proving Ground, UT. I've had the opportunity to photograph a former President and Vice President, a slew of Generals, and various celebrities. But I also had to do crime scene photography, and let me tell you ... taking pictures of a small child with bruises for an investigation is no picnic.

Anyway, I moved to San Antonio last year to be closer to my family, and it was one of the best decisions of my life. Might sound weird, but the air is so much nicer here, and despite the long summers, the weather is much better here (I'm done shoveling snow every day). The food is mostly better here ... I've tried several breakfast tacos and still haven't found anything that blows me away (I know full well that this is a hot take, and likely to anger some folks).

Really, the only thing I miss is all the Bureau of Land Management space in Utah. It was super easy to go out and boondock camp, or go shooting. Guess I need to make friends with folks that have enough acreage to set up their own personal gun ranges. I have steel targets hanging in my garage that are taunting me.

Nice to meet y'all.
    -Monk

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Welcome to tgt I’ll be your guide.

Man-with-Shotgun.jpg

kbaxter60

"Gig 'Em!"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    Great intro! I grew up in San Antonio then spent three decades with the snow shovel in eastern WA. And, yes the BLM land was sweet. I had a Marine buddy what built his own Super Cub and would fly up to a local mountaintop, where there was an area for shooting. I missed out on going with him...still kicking myself.

Glad you are loving it here and maybe we'll meet up some day...

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Welcome aboard. You've survived over a year in San Antonio so you can add that to your resume! Lol. All kidding aside you'll fit in well around here. I was born and raised in San Antonio but I only return for the holidays. Here north of Austin in Cedar park I've been fortunate enough to meet up for lunches and go shooting with several members over the years. All good people.

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    Welcome. I hear you on the public land in the West versus land access here. That is the biggest downfall. I spent years in AK and MT and miss the wide open access.

If you are still “Range shopping”, check out my two favorites, Lone Star Handgun and Cedar Ridge Range. They are pretty different set ups but both offer a LOT for a shooter.

Top Bottom