• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX

Your answer was bars and 51% places. So is that it? Are government building off limits? Are there other places off limits besides those? Are hospitals and "religious sites", whatever that means, off limits always?
    Obviously that's not all. Bars and 51% places were just an example. I did reference that he read the book, and that such questions were addressed.
    Then why mention it at all? Your answer was inaccurate.

Did you read the thread before you posted your inaccurate and incomplete answer? (this is what I meant by judgmental. Why do you do this?)
    My answer is not inaccurate....I even referenced the code for him...
    Section 46.035 (b) (1)
    No, you did not. You said it was "in the book". Here is the full text of your post;

FWIW, I had questions after my class too. Like Texas Redneck, I keep the book provided in my truck. I spent 4 months reading it during my lunch breaks, so I felt pretty confident when my license arrived. It's a lot to learn in a brief time, and can be a bit overwhelming and confusing, but it will come to you in time. Just read it over and over.

"Is there any place other then school, hospital, religious site, or government building that it is illegal?"

This too is covered in the book. Bars, or anywhere that receives 51% of it's revenue from on premises consumption of alcohol .

As far as being incomplete, I thought it was obvious that I was referencing that section of code as JUST ONE EXAMPLE
    of "other places" that are off limits. That is what he asked, is it not? Did you read the post accurately?
    That is why I am banging my head; All the assumptions and incomplete answers. You mention bars and 51% places, and ignore his other wrong conclusions.
    If you choose to consider that incomplete, well, that's just you. You have referenced many sections of code many times, without posting the entire penal code, have you not?
    Duh. But if a guy asks where he cannot carry I don't answer with "bars", and leave it at that.

txinvestigator...I don't profess to have your expertise in these matters, but you often fail to realize that not everyone comprehends, or retains, 100% of what is taught in class. That's why I suggested the OP read the book...over and over if necessary. Then, if they still have questions, ask away. I don't think the OP actually tried reading the book first, but that's par for the course.
    If you had read the thread before posting you would see the correct information was already given to him.
    And yes, you can be quite judgmental.
    When you are wrong and someone points it out, that does not make the person judgmental.

Are you a chick?
    Hurley's Gold

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    But because the first 2 responses to OP's first post were a little brash, he never even came back to TGT to see the rest of the answers,
    How in the hell was this response harsh? It was the second one.

I am not chastising you, but if your class did not cover that I would demand my money back. Those items are the PURPOSE of the class.

SO to answer you; You should have received a little handbook from DPS in your class. If not, look here Texas Department of Public Safety - Courtesy, Service, Protection

AS far as "can I carry in a mall or Wal-mart / target / grocery store?" You can carry anwhere that you did not receive 30.06 notice, or anyplace not off limits in Penal Code 46.03 or 46.035. (look in the handbook)

For this question; "Is there any place other then school, hospital, religious site, or government building that it is illegal?" Government buildings are not off limits. Hospitals, churches, etc and only off limits if you are given 30.06 notice. Yes, there are many other places off limits. (see the handbook under penal code 46.03 and 46.035 )

I have to ask if they covered the definition of premises as it applies to these places?

"Does this include post offices?" Post offices are not off limits under Texas Law. There is some discussion if they are off limits to CHL holders under Federal Law. You should google that for some interesting reading.

Texas Solo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    San Antonio
    When you are wrong and someone points it out, that does not make the person judgmental.

This should read:
    "when I say you're wrong and I point it out, it makes me judgmental"

I'm not the only one here that thinks you're opinionated and judgmental. You have no idea.

It must be an awesome responsibility being perfect.

DoubleActionCHL

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    There's a whole lotta
    penis-length.gif

goin' on!

Seabear1500

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Corpus Christi
    I think its sad that the OP came here and was pretty much told that its his fault that he got a "bad" instructor and no real help. He never came back after his second post thanks to the welcome he got. If you guys don't want to give advice, just don't write anything. Not everyone has been carrying for years or has been reading on the internet for weeks on end before their CHL class. It's ALOT of information to try and process and legaleze is difficult to get the grasp of for most people anyways. But because the first 2 responses to OP's first post were a little brash, he never even came back to TGT to see the rest of the answers, and a few of them were quite helpful. I'm not saying I disagree with you guys about the class/ instructor, but maybe it's just alot to try and cram in your head, and who really knows what they're looking at quality wise when they're trying to find their first chl instructor. The OP was doing the right thing by asking a question before he was in a situation where he would possibly be breaking the law. And I get it, it's all been covered ad nauseum...use the search function...blah, blah, blah. If you want someone to search, then don't say anything. They used their google search to find us, the least we can do is be polite. Just my 2 cents.

Good post GM Chief. Sadly I think this is why this forum doesn't have the activity one would expect. Heck this is Texas where everything is bigger, and I thought we Texans were supposed to be the friendliest people around.

When I first saw this post I'll have to admit my first thought was that his instructor sucked, however we have to admit that good or bad instructor, there is a lot to cover and retain and it takes several reviews to get it all to stick permanently. Maybe we should have found a nicer way to put that then to run off another new member.

I'm not pointing fingers and I don't want to get out the ruler. LOL Sometimes problems can be avoided if people will read their replys before they post them. Written word can come across harsher than what we intend, I know I have to review my comments and often I just delete.

All that being said, how 'bout them Cowgirls?

Heavyduty

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Krum, Texas
    Lets see if i can stir this up a little.
    I have a Utah non res. permit and reading the TX laws the way they write them can make you go blind.
    I go to alot of school functions for my kids and i know i cant go into any school building but i think i can be on the property with CC.
    Picking up and dropping off with practices, game and ffa. its just a pain taking it off and on all the time. is it correct the we can carry in vehicle and on person as long as we dont enter building? i think orig. poster was asking this too. take it easy on me investigator.
    Thx in advance.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I have a Utah non res. permit
    I go to alot of school functions for my kids and i know i cant go into any school building but i think i can be on the property with CC.
    Picking up and dropping off with practices, game and ffa. its just a pain taking it off and on all the time. is it correct the we can carry in vehicle and on person as long as we dont enter building?

Yes, you can carry on the property

Texas Penal Code
    Sec. 46.03. PLACES WEAPONS PROHIBITED. (a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly possesses or goes with a firearm, illegal knife, club, or prohibited weapon listed in Section 46.05(a):
    (1) on the physical premises of a school or educational institution, any grounds or building on which an activity sponsored by a school or educational institution is being conducted, or a passenger transportation vehicle of a school or educational institution, whether the school or educational institution is public or private, unless pursuant to written regulations or written authorization of the institution;

Sec. 46.035. UNLAWFUL CARRYING OF HANDGUN BY LICENSE HOLDER.

(b) A license holder commits an offense if the license holder intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries a handgun under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, regardless of whether the handgun is concealed, on or about the license holder's person:

(2) on the premises where a high school, collegiate, or professional sporting event or interscholastic event is taking place, unless the license holder is a participant in the event and a handgun is used in the event;

(3) "Premises" means a building or a portion of a building. The term does not include any public or private driveway, street, sidewalk or walkway, parking lot, parking garage, or other parking area.

Top Bottom