• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tmd11111

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    San Angelo, Tx
    Well besides picking up a loaded gun at the Odessa gun show this weekend two other things really stuck out in my mind and made me go WTF. First was a tactical 30-30 levergun, not surprising but really.... Second and more importantly there was two of Odessa's finest attending the show in uniform. I had to look twice at their badges because one of them looked to be about 17 years old. He was bragging to one of the venders about his carry gun, a STI doublestack converted to 10mm. Yeah I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't see it with my own eyes. I know its not uncommon to see LEO's carring a 1911 but a doublestack 10mm. Am I missing something here?
    Gun Zone Deals

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    I saw a DPMS Sportical in 5.56 for sale at the show in Ft Worth last weekend. The guy was asking $1275 for it. I did a double take to make sure it wasn't the .308 version. I asked the guy behind the table if he was seriously trying to sell a Sportical for $1275 and said "oh yeah I am. It's an election year.". My first and completely involuntary reaction was to laugh in his face. I had to walk off laughing as he looked at me like I'd hit him or something.

Guys like that are big contributors to the problem. He's taking an entry level rifle and looking to rip off an unsuspecting shooting newbie. I wish I had gotten his card because I'd have a discussion thread started here if I had.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Guys like that are big contributors to the problem. He's taking an entry level rifle and looking to rip off an unsuspecting shooting newbie. I wish I had gotten his card because I'd have a discussion thread started here if I had.

So if you could make extra profit selling something above retail, you wouldn't? I get what you're saying but just trying to prompt some thought...we live in a relatively free market country, and it should stay that way. The next step to resolving this "problem" you're bringing up is governmental price controls. Just some food for thought.

pvtsnowball82

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Outside San Antonio
    So if you could make extra profit selling something above retail, you wouldn't? I get what you're saying but just trying to prompt some thought...we live in a relatively free market country, and it should stay that way. The next step to resolving this "problem" you're bringing up is governmental price controls. Just some food for thought.

+1

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009

No I would not. It's not about price controls, it's about his statement about it being an election year and his implication that some newbie who doesn't know any better will pay that out of fear. The sad reality is this guy will lie to someone who is trusting him for his knowledge just so he can make a buck.

We don't need to rely on the government to take care of a lying cheat, a free market can do that on it's own. Unfortunately the OP didn't get a card so we can't spread his name around and add the dealer to the list to stay away from. Instead we'll just have to wait for the market demand to die down some (hopefully around November) and these types of dealers customer base will dry up quickly.

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas

If you knew me you would know how ridiculous the thought of me advocating governmental price control really is. What upset me about the whole thing is beyond the free market. It's the introduction that he will give to someone who is interested in joining our ranks. They will have purchased something that they are very proud of at first and the more they learn the more they will know that they were preyed upon. Profit is great. I have made a very nice living off of profit. What this guy was doing is selling a Honda Civic for the price of a Mercedes. If someone is stupid enough to fall for it I guess more power to him but I would never do something like that. I would rather bring someone into the life of gun ownership, educate them, sell them something that fits their needs, make a profit and keep them as a customer for a lifetime.

BTW, I don't sell guns. I'm an oil/ranch man. Just sayin' what I'd do.

oldman45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2012
    Shreveport LA
    My take on this is that if a person wants to sell something at a certain elevated price and can get it, go for it. If I think the price is too high, I will not buy it but maybe someone else will.

Now about the Underwood ammo, their prices did not impress me. I bought 200 rounds of Remington 230 grain FMJ last week for $36 per hundred at a WalMart. It is a trusted ammo that suited my pocketbook.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    Now about the Underwood ammo, their prices did not impress me. I bought 200 rounds of Remington 230 grain FMJ last week for $36 per hundred at a WalMart. It is a trusted ammo that suited my pocketbook.

For 10mm Underwood is the place, unless you make your own. Factory 10mm is watered down.

Mike D Texas

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    Parker County
    My take on this is that if a person wants to sell something at a certain elevated price and can get it, go for it. If I think the price is too high, I will not buy it but maybe someone else will.

Just noticed that 45 ACP was FMJ. Why would anyone want a bonded FMJ?

Here's a defense load.

http://www.underwoodammo.com/45acpp230grainjacketedhollowpointboxof50.aspx

They use gold dot bullets.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Mic

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Austin

If the guy's going to try duping the newbs, then he deserves to get shit from those who know better. Yeah, he has the right to sell for whatever he wants. And buyers have the right to ridicule his prices.

The best thing the could have happened would have been for tmd to interrupt the raping of a newb by offering to show them a superior gun at a cheaper price a table or two down.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.

I was talking about full power 10mm loads only!
    Basically impossible to buy it "off the shelf".

I buy all my plinking ammo from WalMart as well.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 16, 2012
    Travis County

Sure; it doesn't mean I won't expect to be laughed at incessantly by people.

Free market works both ways, man. He can try to sell at a ridiculous price, and people can tell him (and others) that he's committing highway robbery and point them to a much cheaper option. Doesn't Cabela's have these things at around $700?

After a few weeks of it collecting dust on his table, he will either lower his price to be more competitive or find some sucker that didn't do research. No government intervention involved.

MGTX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2012
    By the Bay
    Thanks for the heads up on Underwood Ammo, might be something I check out for my defensive loads.

Normally I've had to go to Double Tap or Buffalo Bore for full power 180 grain 10mm loads. While Underwood is a tad bit slower, they are a darn sight cheaper than those other guys.

For practice, target shooting and general plinking, I can find HSM 10mm down here cheaper than most US made .45 ACP. It is available locally for $20 a 50 round box, the 180 grain loads are running about 150 fps less than what Underwood claims, but that is not bad for the price. (Compared to Underwood, it's like getting the 3rd box for free)

10mm being extremely expensive is a myth, all quality ammo is expensive these days............

Top Bottom