• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Dubna, Russia
    Concern "Kalashnikov" has developed a new machine gun. In an interview with TASS (Telegraph Agensy of Soviet Union), said the general director Alexey Krivoruchko.

"On the basis of the experience of today's armed conflicts, we have developed a lightweight 5.45 mm machine gun of Kalashnikov RPK-16. By weight, size, accuracy and flexibility, this gun does not have analogues ", - he said.

The product can be equipped with interchangeable barrels of different lengths. In the long version of it can be used as a machine gun, in short - as the assault rifle.

According to him, the product design allows you to replace the barrel in order to use it as a light machine gun (long stem), and how an assault rifle (short barrel).

Especially for RPK-16 has developed a new high-capacity magazine, which can be used with Kalashnikovs.

(c) lenta.ru
    Texas SOT

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    It's going to need a lot more than an interchangeable barrel to be something new. Hell, if it isn't a bullpup with as many plastic parts as possible it's already outdated.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I don't know much about Russian weapons but the AK-74 they are using is even more outdated than our M-16s.

Huh? The M16 has been in service ten years longer than the AK-74. In fact, the 5.45×39mm cartridge was developed in response to the 5.56...

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Huh? The M16 has been in service ten years longer than the AK-74. In fact, the 5.45×39mm cartridge was developed in response to the 5.56...

Wouldn't that mean they were behind us and playing catch up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Wouldn't that mean they were behind us and playing catch up?

Essentially, yes. The Soviets did design the AK-74 (and 5.45x39 round) based on the US development of and experience with the M16 and 5.56 round.

However, many Russian special purpose units are returning to the 7.62x39 round.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    Again incorrect, the AK-74 and AKM only share an approximate 50% parts commonality (interchangeable most often are pins, springs and screws).

Source: http://www.military-today.com/firearms.pdf

Oh, please. That's like saying 10mm/.45 Glocks are a different gun than their 9mm/.40/.357 counterparts because none of the parts swap out. There were no meaningful technology upgrades between the two unless you count the flash hider and folding stock (both of which could have easily been retrofitted to the 47). The have the same giant gas piston, the same ergonomics, the same crappy safety selector, the same shitty mag release, the same crappy trigger design...

The 74 is technologically still behind the M16, which is noticeably outdated itself compared to more modern bullpups. My original statement is correct. But if it makes any difference I'll let you win the internet for today.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Oh, please. That's like saying 10mm/.45 Glocks are a different gun than their 9mm/.40/.357 counterparts because none of the parts swap out. There were no meaningful technology upgrades between the two unless you count the flash hider and folding stock (both of which could have easily been retrofitted to the 47). The have the same giant gas piston, the same ergonomics, the same crappy safety selector, the same shitty mag release, the same crappy trigger design...

The 74 is technologically still behind the M16, which is noticeably outdated itself compared to more modern bullpups. My original statement is correct. But if it makes any difference I'll let you win the internet for today.

Giving up is a sign of defeat, so I'll accept your surrender especially considering how many of your points are inaccurate...

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    The gun to wait for is the new Kalashnikov USA KR-9 due out sometime soon...

dsc_01151.jpg

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/05/10/kalashnikov-usa-ak9-test/

Top Bottom