• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ScorpionHunter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2012
    Driftwood
    In other words, if the bookies are giving better odds (7/2 or $7 to $2) that he won't be confirmed, they believe he will be confirmed.
    Bookies don't necessarily think he might win or lose. They just want people to bet. But I think they do have to make sure they don't create an arbitrage where making both bets creates a no lose situation.

For example, if the odds were, say, 8 to 1 that Kavanaugh loses (a "no" bet), you could pay $6 for the "yes" bet and $1 for the "no" bet. If "yes" wins, your "yes" wins $1 and your "no" loses $1. That's a scratch. But if "no" wins, your "yes" loses $6 and your "no" wins $8. That would give you a chance to make $2 for no risk.

The real question is whether the collective action of all the betting is an accurate predictor. It wasn't in 2016. Let's hope it's better with Kavanaugh.
    Venture Surplus ad

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    The Dems on Kavanaugh

03EF4274-7262-46F5-AC04-DAA92292DA85.gif

Lunyfringe

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Canton, TX
    Bookies don't necessarily think he might win or lose. They just want people to bet. But I think they do have to make sure they don't create an arbitrage where making both bets creates a no lose situation.

For example, if the odds were, say, 8 to 1 that Kavanaugh loses (a "no" bet), you could pay $6 for the "yes" bet and $1 for the "no" bet. If "yes" wins, your "yes" wins $1 and your "no" loses $1. That's a scratch. But if "no" wins, your "yes" loses $6 and your "no" wins $8. That would give you a chance to make $2 for no risk.

The real question is whether the collective action of all the betting is an accurate predictor. It wasn't in 2016. Let's hope it's better with Kavanaugh.
    They adjust the odds based on how many bets they have taken each way, and pad it so they make money no matter which way it goes.

Those odds tell me that they are getting a lot of bets on him being confirmed, but a few the other way.

ScorpionHunter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2012
    Driftwood
    They adjust the odds based on how many bets they have taken each way, and pad it so they make money no matter which way it goes.

Those odds tell me that they are getting a lot of bets on him being confirmed, but a few the other way.
    I'd like to see how much money is actually bet on these types of events. I don't think any of the UK online bookies take American accounts, so I'm curious how much non-US interest there is in this sort of thing.

sharkey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    I really fear the time is coming where we're going to have to water the tree.

Kavanaugh should be seated. If President Trump gets a third pick the left is going to go batshit. That could well be the trigger for a civil war.
    The DNC is praying to a god they don't believe in Ruthie makes it 2 more years

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Last edited:

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx

Show me a bookie that will give better odds on what they believe you would win. Odds are based on statistics, the better the chance of winning, the lower the odds.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    One R senator will be at his daughter's wedding on Saturday and not available to vote.

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    One R senator will be at his daughter's wedding on Saturday and not available to vote.

he has made it clear if needed he will be there. The original tweet saying he would not be there was from Liberals just pushing buttons.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    he has made it clear if needed he will be there. The original tweet saying he would not be there was from Liberals just pushing buttons.

They are now saying they will hold the vote open until Sunday for him. He told Kavanaugh he would somehow get his Yes vote done.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    How many days till somebody leaks the whole FBI report to the press?
    Surprised it hasn't been already! Maybe because there is nothing bad in it?
    They held it in a SCIF within the Capitol building. If it gets released, we have big problems with gov't infosec (and it would likely be an FBI leak).

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    They held it in a SCIF within the Capitol building. If it gets released, we have big problems with gov't infosec (and it would likely be an FBI leak).

Having witnessed cellphones inside DoD SCIFs before, I don’t trust a non-DoD SCIF to actually prevent the info from being released.

Also, just because it’s in a SCIF doesn’t mean the report is classified.

Top Bottom