• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    So this has caught my eye. MSRP is only $450, so it's reasonably priced, the recoil looks like it's fairly low and it holds 30 rounds in a more or less full-sized pistol package. It looks like it'd be a fun plinker, target pistol and small game killer. And then I got wondering... self defense?

http://www.brassfetcher.com/22WMR.html

The answer is "yes", so long as you've trained with it and use ammo that does not expand. Ammo that doesn't expand on target is going to be good for about 16" penetration from this pistol, and while that's at the farther end of the FBI's standards, you're better off being at the deep end than winding up shallow.

About the only thing I see that I dislike (having not handled the pistol) is the magazine release is the old "European style". But with 30 rounds, how often do you suppose you'll have to reload? I've got some experience with this type of mag release on my CZ-52, and with practice a reload can actually be pretty quick. Not quite as fast as something with a button, but you'll leave the majority of revolver guys in the dust. Food for thought.

I might have to start saving up... Hopefully they'll come out with a green or tan (I'd prefer tan, but green would do) version by the time I'm ready to buy.
    Hurley's Gold

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Looks weird but, a customer let me check his out and it actually feels surprisingly comfortable. If I didn't have other stuff to buy, I would seriously consider buying one as I think it would be a ton of fun. I'm thinking possible suppressor candidate? I think they should make one in .17hmr also, since ammo is easier to get in some ways.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    .17HMR would be nice.

I'm not sure about a suppressor on that, it should be throwing a 40 grain bullet at around 1300 FPS. It's not subsonic like most .22LR is going to be. It would still work, just not nearly as well... Maybe someone in the ammo biz could cook up a 45ish grain subsonic load for it? :D

smittyb

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Cut N Shoot
    My brother got one this weekend. Talked them down to 325 plus tax, it came with 2 mags. That's 60 rounds ready to go. We shot 120 rounds through it, and it was a blast. The fiber optic sights are nice, but only drift adjustable in front. The manual says to use only "full power" loads to cycle reliably. On the last clip we used one of the loads it suggests not using, Winchester supeme 32gr hollow points. On the last 10 or 12 shots, it jammed pretty consistantly. That was after firing 100 rounds without cleaning FWIW. This thing is LOUD, and as at got darker, we noticed it throws a hell of a fireball. We were shooting offhand at about 15 yards, and it seemed to be resonably accurate, would need to bench test it to be really sure.

Overall I would say it is a decent gun, very fun for sure. The mag has a lip on the front, so the European release is really NOT bad. Grab the release with your thumb and the mag lip with the forefinger and rip it right out. Once I did it a few times, it came out slicker than goose shit.
    I would really love to see a long slide version with a 6" bbl and adjustable rear sights. That would make this a very very nice setup.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    My brother got one this weekend. Talked them down to 325 plus tax, it came with 2 mags. That's 60 rounds ready to go. We shot 120 rounds through it, and it was a blast. The fiber optic sights are nice, but only drift adjustable in front. The manual says to use only "full power" loads to cycle reliably. On the last clip we used one of the loads it suggests not using, Winchester supeme 32gr hollow points. On the last 10 or 12 shots, it jammed pretty consistantly. That was after firing 100 rounds without cleaning FWIW. This thing is LOUD, and as at got darker, we noticed it throws a hell of a fireball. We were shooting offhand at about 15 yards, and it seemed to be resonably accurate, would need to bench test it to be really sure.

Overall I would say it is a decent gun, very fun for sure. The mag has a lip on the front, so the European release is really NOT bad. Grab the release with your thumb and the mag lip with the forefinger and rip it right out. Once I did it a few times, it came out slicker than goose shit.
    I would really love to see a long slide version with a 6" bbl and adjustable rear sights. That would make this a very very nice setup.

Good to hear it! I'm actually thinking real hard about getting one.

I agree with you about the "long slide" target version. Great idea.

I have another gun with a Euro mag release, and didn't find it too much a hassle. Works exactly the same way you describe. Being that this is more a hunting and target pistol than a tactical pistol (though loaded with solid nose ammo it would fit the bill), the Euro mag release actually does make some sense to me.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    My brother got one this weekend. Talked them down to 325 plus tax, it came with 2 mags. That's 60 rounds ready to go. We shot 120 rounds through it, and it was a blast. The fiber optic sights are nice, but only drift adjustable in front. The manual says to use only "full power" loads to cycle reliably. On the last clip we used one of the loads it suggests not using, Winchester supeme 32gr hollow points. ............

smittyb

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Cut N Shoot
    If you are referring to my earlier post, you will note that I said mag twice and clip once.
    For what reason I can not tell you, as I wrote that almost 8 years ago. There was probably a reason back then, such as triggering folk who like to point out when someone doesn’t use a term they like.
    Yes, I know The difference between a magazine and a clip.

Top Bottom