• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • leonidas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2010
    Plano
    Has anyone had hands on experience with these rifles? I know Kel-Tec has a bad rap and much like ears, we all have opinions about various firearms manufacturers. I'm just researching this gun because it intrigues me as a light weight backpack carbine that might be a great rifle in substitution for an AR/AK.
    Capitol Armory ad

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Quite a few shooters in CA had a Kel-Tec phase while I lived there. What I gathered from the experiences of people I shot with were...

Reliability was alright, as long as a certain pin didn't simply fall out while you were shooting. There were upgrades available at the local tractor supply store, and I think Kel-Tec came out with an upgrade, too.

The receivers will break sometimes. Kel-Tec made good on their warranty promise every single time that I've heard of. Their warranty is lifetime, and even if you send them a gun that's simply too dirty to function, you'll get a functioning gun back from them. Turnaround can be long, but they're literally running AT capacity. I've heard that they don't even have a large on-site vault because guns leave the door as soon as they're done.

They're 100% American-made. They even source machines and tools from the US whenever possible.

Accuracy is so-so. It's Mini-14 territory at best, thanks mainly to that skinny barrel and long-stroke piston system. Then again, it's pretty damn light.

You can now add a pistol grip and telescoping stock if you want to improve the ergonomics of the rifle.

It's not an AR, it'll never be an AR. But it's cheaper than most ARs, it can fold up into a smallish package and if you don't need a hard-use tactical carbine (like an AR), just a plinker and backpack companion it'll fit the bill just fine.

leonidas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2010
    Plano
    I watched Nuntnfancy's review and it was positive. I trust his opinion on the firearm. I'm still hesitant to buy one before firing it. Thanks for the input Sage. It's funny, every time I convince myself to purchase an AR I stumble upon alternatives like this or the various AKs. Personally I'd like one of each (or more for that matter), but we're all familiar with the budget/marriage constraints. Besides, every time I start telling myself I NEED another gun, I have to slap myself back to reality and ask just what will it be used for. I will most likely purchase an AR, it makes a perfect rifle for wife or younger children (and me too of course).

Ric_Knight

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2009
    San Marcos
    If you look around you can find an AR for right at or close to the price you will pay for a Kel-Tec, if you can find one in stock. The SU-16 series is pretty popular with the light sporting carbine crowd, and from what I understand with good reason.

I paid $699 for my AR and th best price I could find on the SU-16 at the time (August) was $600. If you are looking for a hard use carbine, go with the AR.

Rum Runner

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Plano
    I know exactly how you feel. I go from AR to AK to SKS to SU16 to Mini14 to just a savage edge in 243. Change my mind all the time. Would love to have one of each. Sorry, I am not any help.

suhsjake

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    San Antonio
    The way I view the Keltec SU-16 and Sub-2000 as survival/backpacking rifles. They are not ARs or AKs in anyway. They make good plinkers as well.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    The way I view the Keltec SU-16 and Sub-2000 as survival/backpacking rifles. They are not ARs or AKs in anyway. They make good plinkers as well.

I agree. I'm actually thinking real hard about a Sub-2000 in 9mm with the Glock magazine well. I don't have a Glock, I just like the idea of picking up a few KCI 33 round magazines...

leonidas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2010
    Plano
    I know exactly how you feel. I go from AR to AK to SKS to SU16 to Mini14 to just a savage edge in 243. Change my mind all the time. Would love to have one of each. Sorry, I am not any help.

Good to hear I'm not the only one with this dilema. Now that the price for an AR appears to have come down a bit since I first started looking at them in 2008, it makes the decision much easier. I prefer the look of an AR overall of them (of course the Springfield M1A is a beauty too) but in 2008 any AR I would like to buy was $1,500+.

Is it just me or does it seem that the prices for AKs have remain relatively stable ($600-$800) compared to the price of an average AR? I'm not talking the Romanian WASRs ($300-$500) which I have been told numerous times aren't as well made as the Russian/Bulgarian AKs or even the Eyptian/Chinesse copy AKs.

Davetex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    Greers Ferry Lake
    I've had a SU 16C for a while now. Put several hundred rounds through it and never had a malfunction. It does have a pretty stiff trigger, but all in all,
    it's a decent carbine.

Top Bottom