• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    So i got a pretty sweet laser pointer on ebay for about $20.

it is labeled " <100 mW "

it was advertised as a 100 mW laser, but whatever, i was expecting it to be underspec. i estimate this one @ around 50 mW, but it is stil waaay cooler that those 5 mW ones you get at the dollar store...

at night the green beam is visible, and is handy for star gazing when you want to point out a particular star planet or constelation. tonight i took it out and was able to project a clearly visible dot onto some clouds! so awesome!

this makes me want to get the parts and build a 1 or 2 Watt laser, and maybe even setup a primitive CNC and use it for precision engraving.

thoguht i think my next step is going to be making a 200-500 mW laser and housing it in a model Phaser (star trek the original series style)...

and dont worry i've already got my phaser permit.

pics on the way...
    Texas SOT

Wolfwood

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    laser-card.jpg
    phaserpermit.jpg

0626110400.jpg

shipwreck

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Beretta City,Texas
    Realize that when you get into that power, the beams are not safe.

I bought one on Ebay for a rifle in 2006. It was WAY higher than the stated power, based on what it could do.

I ended up getting rid of it. It was TOO bright. It hurt your eyes just to look at the beam on the wall if it was closer than 7-10 yards.

When you start getting into the powers you have, you really should wear some safety glasses with that. I did a LOT of reading on it after I noticed that ANY slightly reflective surface would splinter the beam and cause reflections. I had one cross my eye for a fraction of a second just from reflection off of a vase.

They may be cool - but they really aren't safe in that power.

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    I have one of the 1 watt Wicked Lasers. I can also tell you that 90% of the general population would damage either their own or someone else's vision if they used it for any period of time. The number of items items that are reflective in a room are too numerous to count. Any one of them could permanently blind you, your cat, dog, or someone else.

That being said, mine came with laser glasses which I never operate it without them. It burns holes in paper, lights matches, and will burn skin in about 2 seconds. I tried to light charcoal, but it kept ashing the area being lased which insulated it from further heat. On a foggy night (no air traffic) I did shoot it into the air, and it seemed to go forever, kinda like a mile long light saber. It is how well you can focus the beam that makes it an effective cutting tool. From the factory it is not a very sharp focus, and it intentionally has a beam diverger attached to reduce liability, however it is easily removable. It has an electronic lock to turn it on which is very effective. I forgot the combo one time and never got turned on without reading the instructions again. I keep it locked up in the gun safe, because it is as dangerous as any other weapon in there. The real danger is someone blinded with your laser will legally bleed you dry with lawsuits, and you will always lose.

Wolfwood, stick to guns, these things are far too dangerous.

Wolfwood

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009

I bought one on Ebay for a rifle in 2006. It was WAY higher than the stated power, based on what it could do.

I ended up getting rid of it. It was TOO bright. It hurt your eyes just to look at the beam on the wall if it was closer than 7-10 yards.

When you start getting into the powers you have, you really should wear some safety glasses with that. I did a LOT of reading on it after I noticed that ANY slightly reflective surface would splinter the beam and cause reflections. I had one cross my eye for a fraction of a second just from reflection off of a vase.

yep.
    thanks - and that needs to be emphasized one needs to be sure to direct the beam and non reflective dark coloured surfaces, for no long that needed. and be sure that no one is going to be crossing the beam. all this is key. it may not burn a hole through your skull, but they can cause serious damage to your eyes. which is why there is a need for safety keys and switches in higher power lasers.

goggles are a must especially for short distance stuff.

Wolfwood

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    I have one of the 1 watt Wicked Lasers. I can also tell you that 90% of the general population would damage either their own or someone else's vision if they used it for any period of time. The number of items items that are reflective in a room are too numerous to count. Any one of them could permanently blind you, your cat, dog, or someone else.

That being said, mine came with laser glasses which I never operate it without them. It burns holes in paper, lights matches, and will burn skin in about 2 seconds. I tried to light charcoal, but it kept ashing the area being lased which insulated it from further heat. On a foggy night (no air traffic) I did shoot it into the air, and it seemed to go forever, kinda like a mile long light saber. It is how well you can focus the beam that makes it an effective cutting tool. From the factory it is not a very sharp focus, and it intentionally has a beam diverger attached to reduce liability, however it is easily removable. It has an electronic lock to turn it on which is very effective. I forgot the combo one time and never got turned on without reading the instructions again. I keep it locked up in the gun safe, because it is as dangerous as any other weapon in there. The real danger is someone blinded with your laser will legally bleed you dry with lawsuits, and you will always lose.

Wolfwood, stick to guns, these things are far too dangerous.

use of a 1 W laser would be limited to very controlled conditions. and probably very seldom. would be one of those "i can own it, so i want to" things.

rifletex91

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    Houston

Seen some vidz on youtube where people make their own and even modify these type of lasers to actually burn threw light material. They also got tutorials on what to buy and how to assemble to make your own. Although that wouldn't be a good idea.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Just be extremely careful using any lasers pointed towards the skies, the Federal Aviation Administration has laid out plans to impose fines up to $11,000 for anyone caught using such devices anywhere in the vicinity of aircraft in the US. This is due to an huge increase in such events, in 2010 a total of 2,836 aircraft laser incidents were recorded, close to a 50% increase when compared to 2009. Since it is sometimes hard to discern where aircraft are located--especially at night--I would be extremely cautious in using a laser to pinpoint stars...

Cheers! M2

DMC

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2009
    Navasota
    I purchased 4 from Frys the $29 ones. I just measured their out put at work.
    183 mw
    165 mw
    131 mw
    129 mw

The package says they are less than 30 mw in one place then says less than 5 mw in another.

TrailDust

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Kalifornication
    In all seriousness, you do have to be damn careful with lasers. I was accidentally hit out in the field and suffered a retinal injury I still deal with to this day. Not trying to be a nanny, just sharing a word of warning as I would with someone new to guns buying his first one.

Wolfwood

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    In all seriousness, you do have to be damn careful with lasers. I was accidentally hit out in the field and suffered a retinal injury I still deal with to this day. Not trying to be a nanny, just sharing a word of warning as I would with someone new to guns buying his first one.

coming through loud and clear.

Top Bottom