Guns International

Kicked out of Best of the West the other day.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mic

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Austin
    So, my buddy and I got kicked out of Best of the West the other day.

Got you. Bet you all thought I was screwing around or it was going to be a screw BOTW thread.
    Sorry, neither of these. We exceeded reasonable time capacity I guess.
    We got there at about 9:30 in the morning.
    By 2:30, the range guy came and said we had to take off. They had other people waiting and were limited on bays due to an NRA police thing this weekend that had a bunch of their bays tied up.

We were also limited to their 50yd tactical bay - the others were tied up.

We were pretty much done shooting anyways. If we weren't, we'd have probably been a little annoyed.

So, a quick lesson. You may want to call ahead before going out. In case they have a bunch of ranges shutdown and you're limited to certain bays or they may be shutting some down.

Not slamming the range - we went there because we love it.
    DK Firearms

Oldfalguy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    Point Venture
    Yep I can see holding a bay for 5 hours being more than a bit excessive.
    I think there should be a max time/ pay per hour rule in place for when the range gets busy/full so there is bay turnover.
    The range should not lose money or we will lose the range.
    If they are not busy then no big deal.
    My only gripe is when there is some rifle/3 Gun event going on BTW closes the skeet and trap fields.
    Not sure why in the world this is done at all. I realize they may need extra parking but that is 900 acres out there and there is never more than 6 cars at the skeet/trap fields. I have kept my membership there just to have a place to shoot NFA 3 times a year.

Daily

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2011
    Texas
    Same thing happened to me a while back, I love that range though. They never mentioned to me having a 2 hour rule or anything like that. I really felt like I was the early bird catching the worm when we showed up around 8:30 and then we got cut out around 10:30 by the late bloomers, I probably won't go on the weekends anymore because the longer bays are taken up, and we get kicked out after around 2 hours. Honestly I tried to share the bay with the guys that came in to tell us we needed to leave, we had about 15 targets set up, and they didnt bring any. They were upset to realize there was only 2 targets that were staying. Edit: I think they should say when you sign up : There is a 2 hour limit

J. Fred

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 10, 2011
    Devil's Backbone,RR32
    So, my buddy and I got kicked out of Best of the West the other day.

Got you. Bet you all thought I was screwing around or it was going to be a screw BOTW thread.
    Sorry, neither of these. We exceeded reasonable time capacity I guess.
    We got there at about 9:30 in the morning.
    By 2:30, the range guy came and said we had to take off. They had other people waiting
    and were limited on bays
    Not slamming the range - we went there because we love it.

Surprised they didn't need an Eviction Notice after y'all being there that long.

j/k

Mic

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Austin
    Wow. I didn't realize that there was actually a limit. I can't remember if they gave me something to sign that I gave a cursory look through (like the liability waivers I read all the way through :)

Mic

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Austin
    That makes more sense. My buddy and I come up with drill and keep most of them down to 5 rounds or less. Going back and forth, coming up with new ones, and starting with .22 helps out a lot. More fun, less ammo, less cost. Popping through 500 rounds would get expensive!

jtriron

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2010
    HoustonTexas
    Some indoor pistol ranges here in H-Town have a 1 hour limit, but they seem to only enforce that with folks waiting in line for a lane.

Mic

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Austin
    Well, we did our First-Wed-Shoot after work again (we call it Blastenfest). Guy told my buddy when we got there that there is a 2 hr min, but if they get busy, they'll limit us. At least they told us this time. We had a pretty good size group, so we figured they'd be lenient if it came down to it.

But, we were there from 9 to 3 and nothing. We left when we were tired, hungry, and out of ammo. Good times.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Geeze, I feel pretty lucky! I am a member of two private clubs and regularly spend the day switching from different rifle ranges, pistol and shotgun ranges. I usually stay as long as my food and water last.

The thing that really amazes me is that you pay by the gun. You could bring a whole truck load of firearms out to our ranges and shoot them all! The only thing we must do is use the proper shooting facility on the property and clean up after ourselves.

I wonder how you guys put up with being evicted because you stayed too long. That would really chap me. I wish I could take all of you out to shoot. It would only cost your targets and ammo.

It probably sounds like I'm rubbing your nose in it but that isn't it. I feel bad that your shooting rights have been limited like that and also feel pretty lucky.

Flash

smokey1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2010
    Austin,TX
    The old man that owns the place is a great guy, but if your not careful he will talk your ear off for 2 hours while you wait!

Bumblingbear

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2012
    Austin
    Wow... 5 hours is a long time especially in that heat.

I've gone to BotW in both extreme heat and extreme cold. I now plan accordingly... lol

Top Bottom