• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tom Danger Collins

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    Houston / Kingwood
    I have an 8 year old son, and was wondering if any members of this forum would have any suggestions as to the best approach to introduce my son to the shooting sports. I live in a subdivision and cant set up tin cans on a fence post for BB gun practice. What do you think is the appropriate age to start, and how?
    Capitol Armory ad

jake75

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2009
    Hurst, TX
    I started my 2 girls out about a year ago at 9 and 11. I bought them all of the safety gear and a Cricket .22. I took them to the range with me a few times to explain how important safety was. They didn't even shoot until the 4th or 5th time we went. It was a lot of safety instruction and dry firing with that thing. The age to start him? Whenever you think he is ready and can take instruction and be able to pay attention to his surroundings.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I started my daughter at 7. We never touched a gun until she could recite the 4 cardinal safety rules at amy spontanious moment, and after she could demonstrate safe handling with her "finger" gun.

We then transistioned to dry practice at the house. I strictly supervised her, standing behind her with my arms on either side of her arms any time she held the pistol (A Walther P22) Once I was confident we went to the range where I again strictly supervised her. I think it was about 11 when I moved her her to the .380 ( a huge, in .380 terms, Beretta 84) She is 14 now and has shot the AR, my Kimbers, etc.

At 8 I was teachin her the difference between cover and concealment, corner clearing techniques, etc. When she is 18 she will go to a school with me where two-man team tactics are taught. How much fun that will be!

cowboy45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    mexia texas
    I have an 8 year old son, and was wondering if any members of this forum would have any suggestions as to the best approach to introduce my son to the shooting sports. I live in a subdivision and cant set up tin cans on a fence post for BB gun practice. What do you think is the appropriate age to start, and how?
    How about a Daisy Red Ryder and some soft drink cans in the garage. Safety,Safety,Safety. I can still hold my index finger up and ask my grandson what it is. His response is that is your booger hook and you keep it off the trigger until you are redy to shoot.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Tom

I started my son about that age, and like jake75 I made absolutely sure he knew the rules before ever touching a firearm. We started "light" but it wasn't long before I was letting him shoot single shots through my AKs. I only loaded one round at first, just in case. Over time he demonstrated not only proficiency in shooting, but in being safe on the range. Now he's 13 and I let him shoot full magazines on his own. He has shot basically every gun I have (the ones he hasn't is simply because we haven't gotten them to the range) as well as several belonging to my shooting buds; and I have been complimented numerous times by the RSO where we shoot on how well he behaves on the range.

My wife was a bit concerned at first about all this, but I explained that I wanted to remove the "mystery" behind firearms and now we are both confident that if he ever came across a gun someplace (such at a friend's house), he would know the right thing to do and do it. His curiosity has been satisfied and now we have the shared love of firearms. He even gets up early on the weekends to go to gun shows with me! It is a great father-son activity!

So I would advise a .22 and going to the range. They have little recoil and I honestly don't think a BB gun is going to prepare him too much for an actual firearm. Plus, the mechanisms are different; whereas a .22 functions like a "normal" firearm. Plus, I always joked that if I got my son a BB gun, he'd probably shoot me in the butt with it!

One last piece of advice, if he doesn't seem to be enjoying it, throttle back and re-engage at a later date. Don't force the issue, especially if he seems a bit apprehensive about it all. He is at a good age but not all kids are ready at the same time, so it'd be better to wait a little longer if he isn't having fun and not put him off completely.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Cheers! M2

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    My home they get to shoot rimfire at 8 years old or as soon as they demonstrate control after that age. Rifle only at the bench.

That said I teach rule number one very early and that adults will always hand guns to kids before they touch them.

Rule two, three and four is taught with an air soft gun and a target or a daisy gun as well in the home.

Tom Danger Collins

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    Houston / Kingwood
    Thanks to all who replied to my question! I've taken everything into consideration and now have a pretty good idea of how to introduce my son into shooting thanks to your replies. Thanks again, and I will for sure post how it goes.

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    I started my daughter at 7. We never touched a gun until she could recite the 4 cardinal safety rules at amy spontanious moment, and after she could demonstrate safe handling with her "finger" gun.

We then transistioned to dry practice at the house. I strictly supervised her, standing behind her with my arms on either side of her arms any time she held the pistol (A Walther P22) Once I was confident we went to the range where I again strictly supervised her. I think it was about 11 when I moved her her to the .380 ( a huge, in .380 terms, Beretta 84) She is 14 now and has shot the AR, my Kimbers, etc.

At 8 I was teachin her the difference between cover and concealment, corner clearing techniques, etc. When she is 18 she will go to a school with me where two-man team tactics are taught. How much fun that will be!
    shucks take me lol

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    When my daughter was 8, I bought her ("us" really) an airsoft pistol and big pack of disposable cups. Shooting cups off the kitchen table is good fun for everyone! Once I realized she was interested I gave her a red ryder for christmas. Now at 13 she goes to the range with me. She really likes shooting the ARs

Tom Danger Collins

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    Houston / Kingwood
    Anyone know where I could take my kid to shoot at cans with a .22LR? I have access to an indoor range however I believe they would frown on throwing cans out there. I want my son's first shooting experience to be fun, and I think it would be more enjoyable to a boy his age if he were able to shoot at a reactive target like a can, vs a paper target. Any advice on this?

GTRich94

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2009
    u
    I took my daughter to the range to shoot my 10/22 and my Beretta Neos when she was 6. Unfortunately, both are a little big for her and I'll probably pick up a youth sized rifle (Cricket or maybe the Rossi 22/410 combo) for her 7th b-day next month. Since she had fun with the 22's, I went to Academy and bought a Crossman airsoft pistol. Now she and my 4 year old son have fun in the garage shooting the recyclables. To keep the ricochets down, I went to Home Depot and bought a 4x8 sheet of 3/4" insulation board. Its light weight and thick enough that the bb's go through it, but can’t get back through after they hit the wall. It doesn’t stop all the ricochets, but since the airsoft use plastic BB's, they don’t hurt when you get hit by the occasional stray. I also picked up one of the cheap Daisy lasers at Academy and it’s made it a lot more fun for the kids.

Tom Danger Collins

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    Houston / Kingwood
    I took my daughter to the range to shoot my 10/22 and my Beretta Neos when she was 6. Unfortunately, both are a little big for her and I'll probably pick up a youth sized rifle (Cricket or maybe the Rossi 22/410 combo) for her 7th b-day next month. Since she had fun with the 22's, I went to Academy and bought a Crossman airsoft pistol. Now she and my 4 year old son have fun in the garage shooting the recyclables. To keep the ricochets down, I went to Home Depot and bought a 4x8 sheet of 3/4" insulation board. Its light weight and thick enough that the bb's go through it, but can’t get back through after they hit the wall. It doesn’t stop all the ricochets, but since the airsoft use plastic BB's, they don’t hurt when you get hit by the occasional stray. I also picked up one of the cheap Daisy lasers at Academy and it’s made it a lot more fun for the kids.

I picked up a Cricket 22LR for him as a Christmas present today with a blue laminate wood stock. The fit and finish on those little rifles is great. I'm not real crazy over the peep sights but I think they will do just fine. Here's a pic . . . rifle cost me about 170 bucks and some change.
    crickett.jpg

Can anyone tell me if there are any INDOOR shooting ranges in Houston that will permit an 8 year old with an adult? I saw a video on YouTube of a 6 year old shooting a 22 at Top Gun, but the video was two years old. Does anyone know?

AusTex

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Can't help on the range advice but get the kids shooting right young.. grind in that safety. This waive of shooters loading up on semi auto pistols and ar-15's when they turn 18 and 21 is pretty scary with no previous gun handling skills or safety training.

jcm

smschulz

Paid for CUT
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    I think it would be more enjoyable to a boy his age if he were able to shoot at a reactive target like a can, vs a paper target. Any advice on this?

Don't kid yourself ~ he will enjoy shooting at paper too.
    Just because you like the 'reactive' target doesn't meen he will (he would enjoy it but they have no frame of reference).
    Just take him shooting ~ where ever ~ get started and let him have fun.
    Don't try to force the situation on what you think he will like ~ let him make up his own mind.
    Trust me you will and he will do just fine just by going.

GTRich94

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2009
    u
    Can anyone tell me if there are any INDOOR shooting ranges in Houston that will permit an 8 year old with an adult? I saw a video on YouTube of a 6 year old shooting a 22 at Top Gun, but the video was two years old. Does anyone know?

You're on the wrong side of town, but Best Shot range in Friendswood allows 22 rifles. Closer to you, I think rifles were mentioned in the Spring Guns and Ammo thread in this same forum.

lorendhenry

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    spring
    the Thunder River Renegades are having a practice shoot on Jan29th 2011 there is a 5 dollar range fee for the day( all lead bullets are required). It is a cowboy action shooting club in magnolia, tx. Lot of good folks. The targets are steel so reactive. I will have a few extra 22 pistols and rifles there as well as 410 shot guns for youth. I always considered a 410 a great teaching tool does not have the range that a 22 has, hard for most kids to comprehend greater than a mile range. If you would like more information contact me Lorendhenry@sbcglobal.net. the clubs website is index

jake75

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2009
    Hurst, TX
    I got my girls a Walther P22 and a Marlin 795 for Christmas. I had them set up on sleeping bags in a tent I had set up in the living room. The kids woke me up to check out what Santa had left them. My girlfriend said, "Only in Texas would 2 little girls be so excited to get guns for Christmas."

Top Bottom