• ...and so much more!
  • V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Wow, a totally radical new design.......no grip safety......................

Interesting looking I suppose, but...I'll pass.............

Dude has terrible gun handling skills...............

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Wow, a totally radical new design.......no grip safety......................
    Yeah. Then why is it so obvious the spot where the grip safety was deleted?

~30 years ago, IIRC, somebody made full size 1911 frames with a solid back strap and no provision for a grip safety at all. I really wish I had bought a few.

Geezer

Mostly Peaceful
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 23, 2019
    Silsbee, Texas
    So, Kimber makes a new Star BM?

1681820137098.png

OutlawStar

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 14, 2017
    Anna
    I saw this and asked "who is this gun even intended for?" Its $1500, is kinda like a 1911, but not. Kinda like a CZ, but not. Kinda like a browning, but not. No rail, serrations everywhere for... grip?

Not going to lie I didn't mind my dad's Ultra Carry CDPII because it was so lightweight, and their revolver looks cool but Kimber doesn't have a good reputation for quality despite the high price. I commend them for making attempts other than a new polymer gun, but at the same time, there isn't any innovation in any of it.

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    I saw this and asked "who is this gun even intended for?" Its $1500, is kinda like a 1911, but not. Kinda like a CZ, but not. Kinda like a browning, but not. No rail, serrations everywhere for... grip?

Not going to lie I didn't mind my dad's Ultra Carry CDPII because it was so lightweight, and their revolver looks cool but Kimber doesn't have a good reputation for quality despite the high price. I commend them for making attempts other than a new polymer gun, but at the same time, there isn't any innovation in any of it.
    My Ultra Carry CDP II has been a nice pistol but It's the only kimber I'll ever own.

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    I am not a Kimber fan. A lot of that was based on the letters “NY” on the slide. This has an AL, which is much more of a desirable firearm. Win me over Kimber….

Dimonback

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Austin
    The words Kimber and masterpiece don’t belong on the same page.
    I own one. I've owned many 1911s, from a Colt Combat Commander to a Kimber Gold Combat, and currently own a PRE serial number (look that up) Smith and Wesson 5" and a Sig C3, both customized by me. I've held concealed carry licenses in Oregon, Idaho, Colorado, Nevada and Texas over the last 35 years. I've also competed in both USPSA and IDPA with my 1911s. I've decided in my advanced age and shaky hands that I probably can no longer solve a problem with a 9 round limit, and didn't really want the 2011 Prodigy as it's blocky and harder to conceal. I can assure any doubters that for me, the KDS9C is an absolute home run. It's comfortable, more accurate than I am, and trustworthy enough to be my new EDC, just to set the record straight.

Last edited:

CharlieWH2O

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 14, 2015
    Galveston County
    I have owned and own several Kimber models including Raptors, Pro series and UC II in multiple calibers. A couple weeks ago at the range the thumb safety on a Custom II .45 5" failed (see photo). I have never had a machined steel part fail like that. If Kimber's KDS9c includes MIM parts I would not bet my life on it without some replacements. Full disclosure, the pistol still ran I just had to keep the pin from coming out to keep the grip safety in place take care the slide stop did not come out. This pistol probably has north of 2000 rounds.

IMG_0748.jpeg

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    First of all, the new Kimber makes me want to go, {yawn}. It's not new or exciting, though I'm sure that it will fit somebody's need and hopefully they will enjoy it. There are a whole lot of pistols that fall into that same category. Also, $1500? Ouch!

I'm not one of those who beat up on Kimber. They had a great reputation once and then decided to take the same shortcuts as Colt and S&W and they lost that reputation. There are plenty of horror stories, but I honestly have never had a problem with Kimber. Having said that, there is no reason that the thumb safety should ever break. That is the result of trying to use cheap parts in their increasingly expensive guns. Their staff should be forced to wear a picture of that around their necks until the shame causes them to change their greedy ways.

Top Bottom