Kimber Mags

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by brownchristian, Apr 14, 2009.

1. brownchristian

brownchristian New Member

Mar 13, 2009
    I have a Kimber CDP and I purchased a Wilson mag for it and it doesn't fit. The mag is too short. I had to modify the black plastic piece on the bottom of the mag to make it fit. I thought all 1911 mags would work. What's the deal?

2. DCortez

DCortez TGT Addict

Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    Did you get the officer model mag?

3. brownchristian

Mar 13, 2009
    Apparently not if that is what I need.

4. DCortez

DCortez TGT Addict

Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    The mags come in different sizes. The ultra mag (3" barrel) is smaller than the custom mag (5" barrel). I'm not sure about the pro.

Since I'm still a newbie, I emailed Wilson before I ordered mine, to make sure I got the right ones.

5. 40Arpent

40Arpent TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    What would make you think that a mag designed for a compact 1911 would work in a full-sized 1911?

Kimber makes the CDP in several sizes, and you need to know which one you have in order to obtain the correct magazines. Sounds like you have one with a full-sized grip but bought magazines for the compact CDP.

6. JKTex

JKTex Well-Known

Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    If you have an Ultra or Compact, you need officers mags. But since what you gat was too short, I assume you have a Pro or Custom, for which you need a full size, or Government size mag.

I think the Wilson Officers size use a "O" in the model number.

You should NEVER have to modify a mag to fit the gun. You are right in thinking any 1911 mag (for the right frame size) will fit.

The upside is, a new basepad is easy to get and you can sell that mag easily.

7. dee

dee Well-Known

Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    I have the CDP Custom and it takes standard 1911 gov. mags

8. Army 1911

Army 1911 Well-Known

Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    Don't sell the mag buy a pistol that fits it. :happy0001:

9. brownchristian

Mar 13, 2009
    Thanks for the help guys. Apparently I wasn't aware there are different size magazines. I have the Pro CDP which is a full size grip. No longer have the packaging to return the mag so I modified it to fit. Plan on buying a couple more anyway.

10. DCortez

DCortez TGT Addict

Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    Easy mistake to make. We bought an Ultra and Custom at the same time so we could compare the mags and see a difference. Emailing Wilson seemed less hassle than filling out a return :lolz:

BTW, I wonder why Kimber bothers making crappy mags.