Patriot Mobile

Kimber makes the best 1911's, bar NONE!!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Okierifleman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Houston
    Kimber fan here for sure!!! You will find people that want to bash them, but that is typical on a forum or blog. Usually these people dont know what they are talking about. For an out of the box 1911 you cannot beat the quality. If you want to drop $2-3000 on a Wilson, Nighthawk, Les Baer, Fusion, etc..... go ahead. But, I guarantee that most people cannot get anything more out of them than they would a Kimber, and they are out another grand or two.

brickboy240

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Houston, TX, USA
    No kidding!

I was shooting a Pasadena Gun Ctr one evening next to a guy with a Wilson CQB and at the same distance, he was getting groups that were maybe 1/2" tighter than my lowly GI Springfield with Blazer Brass ammo.

So thats all that another 1500 bucks would get me...1/2" tighter group?

Sorry...the gun was pretty and maybe better built but what would 1/2" really have bought me?

Don't tell this to the guys that own the expensive 1911s...they swear their stuff is golden and yours is crap because they have to feel good about blowing alot of cake on their 1911.

Truth is that most factory 1911s these days shoot very well.

- brickboy240

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    If you want to drop $2-3000 on a Wilson, Nighthawk, Les Baer, Fusion, etc..... go ahead. But, I guarantee that most people cannot get anything more out of them than they would a Kimber, and they are out another grand or two.

My thinking is the few of them made the more that they appreciate. The initial investment is a premium,as will be the pay off in 10 years.

I look at guns that I feel can be used as an investment. Kinda of like the idea behind a NFA trust. Your buying a hobby/tool/ long term investment.

Look at what pre ban evil black guns bring apposed to post ban. Now we have pre & post Obama guns.

Okierifleman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Houston
    I totally agree with you, I consider them investments myself. But, if I can buy 3 $1000 Kimbers for what it would cost me for 1 Nighthawk or Wison, what have I accomplished? I tell you what. I have 3 badass guns that I can shoot every week. None of them will ever lose much value, some may actually appreciate a little. But, if you think that, someones CQB is going to be the next pre 64 Model 70 or Grade 5 Beretta O/U, I dont think its going to happen in our lifetime.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX

Sorry...the gun was pretty and maybe better built but what would 1/2" really have bought me?

It's just like with sports cars. Yeah, there are cheaper ones that can give you 90-95% of the performance of say a $190,000 Porsche 911 GT2. At the end of the day, a souped up Camaro or Vette is still a Chevy whereas a 911 GT2 is.....well.....a friggin' twin turbo 911 GT2! ;) I like both ways equally, cheap and gets the job done, as well as top of the line. It's hard not to have an appreciation of the finer things in life, even if they aren't totally "necessary". That being said, I still wouldn't spend over ~$1-1.3k on a 1911 unless maybe I won the lottery as I still need plenty of training and that extra $1-1.5k for a tricked out gun sure would pay for a lot of ammo and some excellent training courses.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    They make a good one, but not the best. Les Baer makes the best 1911

I would disagree but we're not comparing custom or semi-custom to mass production. Baer will make about 1600-1800 guns this year. Kimber will make about 1600-1800 guns in a little over a week.

To qualify why I say I'd disagree, a 1911, in the semi or custom world, is a personal thing. I'd love to have Chuck Rogers build me a full custom. But even if I was prepared to spend that kind of money, it'll be years before I see it, but it'd be exactly what works best for me, plus some. I could start with an entry to the level with a Baer but likely, my expectations would be higher than it could deliver and the Kimber would outshine it as a better value. Or maybe not.

bikerbill

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    Lago Vista
    since I only have one other 1911, I don't think I'm qualified to say Kimber is the best ... however!! my UCII has been perfect from day one, except for a misfeed with a Corbon DPX ...that's why you shoot 'em before you trust 'em ... loaded with Golden Sabers, it's a perfect gun for concealed carry, better accuracy than my 4-inch Springer, light and easy to shoot with little felt recoil ... the best? dunno ... but it's a hell of a gun for under $700 ...

HadEmAll

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    My only Kimber, a series I Classic Custom, unfortunately needed a Wilson extractor to be reliable. Last round feeding failures, and during CHL requalification. Ticked me off mightily.

My brother bought a Series II after shooting mine, and had many slide lockbacks mid-magazine until Kimber shipped him another slidestop. I tried to convince him to get the Wilson, but he's sticking with the 2nd Kimber one for now.

That's 2 out of 2 in my family that were NOT reliable without modifications.

okie556

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Longview, TX
    Kimber is my choice. I have had 50 at least and never a problem.

What happened? Did you lose them all in one of those terrible boating accidents?

Just kidding.........I'm just jealous because I am trying to find an Ultra or Pro Carry I can afford and you have had 50! Don't seem fair!

Mate

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2009
    Houston
    If you and the shooter next to you were of the same skill, then your statement will have some weight.

Sure the gun helps, but most times people dont know how to shoot in the first place. Just because someone has a fancy whatever dosent mean that they know what they're doing with it.

No kidding!

I was shooting a Pasadena Gun Ctr one evening next to a guy with a Wilson CQB and at the same distance, he was getting groups that were maybe 1/2" tighter than my lowly GI Springfield with Blazer Brass ammo.

Don't tell this to the guys that own the expensive 1911s...they swear their stuff is golden and yours is crap because they have to feel good about blowing alot of cake on their 1911.

Truth is that most factory 1911s these days shoot very well.

- brickboy240

Top Bottom