• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jamesmrj

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2011
    Cypress, TX
    For the knife guys out there. I bought some small kukris as groomsmen gifts, but they are not nearly as sharp as I'd like. I'd use my Arkansas stones, but the curvature of the blade makes this impractical.

What sort of steel/ceramic rods do you guys suggest, or do you use a different method?
    Guns International

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I have a small collection of Kukris and face the same situation. I got one genuine Kukri from the "Kukri House" that came to me VERY sharp. The rest are dull to butter knife dull.

I planned on taking one of my Kukris and using a rotary sanding disk to get the edge close to sharp then finishing with a stone. I have not attacked it yet. Life is too short to work some of the dull places down with a stone. There's just too much material to remove.

Flash

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    I have found that sometimes it's best to find a professional. They have the equipment and skills to get a good edge easily. Then is is easier to keep it that way. Since you have a few of them, you might get a better deal.

Doc007

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2013
    Austin
    I used a variable speed grinder then finished with a kitchen steel. Not the sharpest blade I have but good enough to cut paper

jamesmrj

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2011
    Cypress, TX
    I appreciate the input guys.

Flash, I got these from kukri house thamel, one of the two rival makers in napal. They are decently sharp, just not as sharp as I'd hoped.

Acera, I may get mine professionally sharpened some day, but with all the costs of a wedding, I'm really not wanting to add more.

Doc, wouldn't hitting it with a grinder heat the blade enough to mess up the temper?

I'll probably end up getting a sharpening rod of the steel variety.

stx kid

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    laredo
    I've got a set of files that have never let me down when it came to setting an edge to a knife. I start off with an aggressive cut, and then work my way down to a jeweler's file. just keep a steady hand , some light oil, and a wire brush to clean your files.

Top Bottom