Gun Zone Deals

L-1 Solutions Fingerprinting - Whiskey Tango Foxtrot!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chickenwing

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Central Texas
    So after a quick search I couldn't find a thread about the new rule that DPS is only going to accept electronically submitted fingerprints for a NEW CHL applications from L-1 Identity Solutions starting March 1st 2011.

Has anybody else heard about this or have any details on it? My understanding is you will have to get a number from DPS for the application, schedule an appointment in between 9am-5pm to have them done at an L-1 solutions location. Also, L-1 Solutions is a privately traded company according to what I've been told. I don't know just how thrilled I would be by some company having my e-fingerprints on file. No matter how safe they say that stuff is the fact is, it isn't.

Now, this is just all stuff I have been told. I haven't seen any official announcements or anything but I trust the people I have heard it from. They have also spoken with TSRA reps about it, and those same reps don't seem to have a problem with it. Honestly? I do, and here is why:

1) This is a privately traded company dealing with my personal information that honestly has no damn business dealing with my fingerprints. If I want them rolled in ink by someone I know and send those cards in to DPS that should be my option.

2) If this is the only method to obtain fingerprints to send in to DPS and I lived in BFE, Tx and had to drive 2 hours on a work day between 0900 and 1700 hrs just to get fingerprints for my license from some company that has their hand in DPS' pocket I would be just on the short side of pissed.

3) I see this as a deterrent from people getting their licenses:
    a) Because they may have to travel so far to an L-1 location
    b) Because they don't want a private company to have possible storage rights to their fingerprints
    c) Because after traveling all that distance let's say something goes amiss and you can't have them done that day (Lord knows DPS NEVER fouls anything up *sarcasm*), now you have to come back and you just don't care to make the drive again so you end up just carrying in your car and never getting your license because of the hassle.

4) L-1 Solutions can charge whatever they good and damn well please for the service because they are a private company, which is fine. However, want a license? You have to get them here, don't like it? Tough sh*t.

5) Again, (a little tin foil hat here) if they take your fingerprints to be submitted they may very well keep a copy of them on file for whatever reason. Sure they might keep a copy of the electronic record just in case DPS fouls up and doesn't get them so they have to send another copy, or they can do whatever they want with them because they are a private company. Sure there might be some regulations as to what they do with them but let's be real here, how safe is that information and what business is it of theirs to begin with?

If what I have been told (and in turn are sharing with you) is true, I don't know what in the hell DPS is thinking. Essentially they are creating a non competition, restrictive environment for license applications and in my opinion it crosses the line from regulatory (in the sense of allowing us to exercise our right to bear arms while maintaining order) to infringement. I know I don't know the whole story but what I've heard makes no sense to me. One reason I have been given for this is poorly ink rolled cards being submitted, but from my understanding there is something like a 99% success rate of rolled ink cards.

Like I said, I don't know the whole story. That is why I'm here. I don't want to jump to crazy tin foil hat conclusions, but I am confused. Maybe somebody out there can shed some light on the situation and explain what the hell is going on. I do trust the people who have told me about this, and believe they know what they are talking about. But if all this is true, I wanna know why there aren't some more pissed off people out there talking about it. Because it smells, and not of roses.
    Capitol Armory ad

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    It was my understanding that it had to be electronic fingerprints, *not* that it was "sole-sourced" to one company. Some municipalities/counties already have 'em.

Chickenwing

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Central Texas
    It was my understanding that it had to be electronic fingerprints, *not* that it was "sole-sourced" to one company. Some municipalities/counties already have 'em.

Hmmm. I would have less of a problem with that. But the 2 (different) instructors I have spoken with both said L-1 and L-1 only. Possible that they both misunderstood though. Thus, I am here to see what else people have heard. Thanks for the reply.

Chickenwing

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Central Texas
    I got mine electronically at a DPS branch office. Forcing everyone to go to L-1 would be nuts.

I've had mine done there for my Level III license, and I agree it would be completely nuts to go to L-1 prints only. It just seems so incredibly dense that I have a hard time believing it, hence the search for more info.

rbrthenderson

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2010
    NRH
    I applied for my CHL on Jan. 2nd and when I went through the application online, the website gave me the following information, "L-1 Solutions was selected as the vendor to implement the Fingerprint Applicant Services of Texas (FAST) and is working closely with the Texas Department of Public Safety to provide convenient applicant fingerprinting services throughout the state." They did not show me any other options for fingerprinting. It then offered the link to the L-1 site to set up the appointment. I set it up and went and got them done there but I wasn't aware that I could have them done anywhere else.

I recently moved from Indiana, where they are offering the L-1 system now. People in Indiana are using it because they are processing and issuing the licenses in ~1 Week. When I applied for my Indiana LTCH, I went to the police station and had them done with the rolled method and it took them 2 1/2 months to process and issue my license.

Seabear1500

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Corpus Christi
    Ok, I'll pitch in here. As a CHL instructor I don't like the idea. I own my finger print equipment and have a lady from County come do the ink prints. We have had ZERO returned. DPS claims something like 25% of rolled prints get rejected. Whatever. So YES as of March first all prints will be done by L1 and L1 only. Sounds like a deal was made. The regulations do state that they are only able to charge $10, so unless the regulation changes, that will be the fee.

Personally I don't care for it, but one good thing is that once DPS has your prints you won't have to have them taken again for renewals, they will use what they have on file. In addition they say they are going to use your old picture unless you want a new one. Makes no sense to me either.

So as of right now that is the most up to date info I have. YMMV

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    Many larger LE agencies can do them for you electronically...that having been said I am betting that many of these agencies probably contract that service to an outside vendor. So if you go to the PD and get fingerprinted you may be actually getting fingerprinted by a private company that works for the PD. I dont feel my prints are any more safe being given to a PD, then a private company. Both can be hacked and stolen.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    From the CHL Instructor Newsletter

ELECTRONIC FINGERPRINTS
    [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]! Subject to the adoption by the Public Safety Commission of amendments to the Department’s administrative rules, beginning on March 1, 2011, Concealed Handgun Licensing will [/FONT][/FONT]no longer accept hand rolled, ink fingerprint cards[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]. After the adoption of this rule, all applicants will have to submit fingerprints electronically through L1 Identity Solutions.
    In the meantime, for those students who choose not to use the L1 service, they will need to provide fingerprints on an applicant fingerprint card. Keep in mind:
    DPS will
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]no longer be providing [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]applicants or instructors with applicant fingerprint cards.[/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial][/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]
    Cost to applicants - [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]$9.95
    [/FONT][/FONT]Applicants that have their fingerprints digitally scanned, means [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]LESS ADMINISTRATIVE OVERHEAD [/FONT][/FONT]for instructors and more time for instruction.
    Digital fingerprints have a 98% accuracy rate, which means
    [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]FEWER REJECTS [/FONT][/FONT]and the inconvenience of reprinting for applicants.
    L1 Digital fingerprints are uploaded to the state’s computer
    [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]AUTOMATICALLY[/FONT][/FONT], while other prints have to be submitted through the mail.
    [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]QUICKER [/FONT][/FONT]fingerprinting processing times
    Accurate fingerprint classification
    [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]ENSURES [/FONT][/FONT]a good criminal history check.
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]
    [/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]DPS has an agreement with L-1 that dictates how the prints are stored, how much they can charge, etc. [/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]

wrtanker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2009
    Ft. Worth
    I used to take fingerprints for a company I worked for. It was a large company with a high turnover rate so we took prints from something like 10-15 people every week. The reject rate was pretty high (especially when the prints arrived on a Friday or the day before a holiday). It is difficult to take a good print that the FBI will accept. There are many factors that influence the quality of the print taken including oil on the skin, softness (lots of hand lotion over time), scars, etc. Our reject rate was about average for all submissions so it wasn't just a lack of training on our part.

The bottom line here is that not just anyone can take a good print and even the ones that can don't always get acceptable ones. The electronic prints should help with that. However, they really need to make it more widely avaliable to the general populace.

bugsbunny45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2011
    Beaumont, Texas
    All teachers in Texas had to have fingerprints taken by L1 in 2010. It was not to bad. The lady that did mines did about 60 people on my campus in one day. Seems if they doing that many just by sure repetition you would be good at it.

Top Bottom