• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Deavis

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Austin
    I'm using Lee dies until I can get the gist of what I'm doing. I'll pick up a headspace gauge later this month.

Just make sure you've gotten all the slack out of the press before you give up on the sizing die. All the way at the bottom of the stroke turn the die down until it is hard against the shellplate, raise the head, turn it down 1/4 turn, make sure there is zero slack in the system. That handle should be rock solid at the bottom stop with no play from the plate to the die. Then try sizing a case that currently is not chambering. If the case goes into the chamber farther than before, you're dealing with headspace not a base sizing issue. If you can't correct it, send the casings to me and I'll run them across my roll-sizer for you. That will bring the bases back within spec, it's cheating but it makes sizing sooo much easier on 308.
    Guns International

ttuttle

An old guy who like to shoot
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2015
    Just make sure you've gotten all the slack out of the press before you give up on the sizing die. All the way at the bottom of the stroke turn the die down until it is hard against the shellplate, raise the head, turn it down 1/4 turn, make sure there is zero slack in the system. That handle should be rock solid at the bottom stop with no play from the plate to the die. Then try sizing a case that currently is not chambering. If the case goes into the chamber farther than before, you're dealing with headspace not a base sizing issue. If you can't correct it, send the casings to me and I'll run them across my roll-sizer for you. That will bring the bases back within spec, it's cheating but it makes sizing sooo much easier on 308.
    I appreciate the offer but this is problem I need to solve in my shop so I will know how to do it in the future. I have the die down so the shellplate touches the bottom of the die but the brass gets so jammed in the die that it is extremly difficult to pull out, to the point that I am afraid of pulling the rim off the case. I am depending on the small base die I ordered to solve the problem. Call me independent but it's my problem to solve, but I have to admit the help I've gotten here has put me on track.

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    I appreciate the offer but this is problem I need to solve in my shop so I will know how to do it in the future. I have the die down so the shellplate touches the bottom of the die but the brass gets so jammed in the die that it is extremly difficult to pull out, to the point that I am afraid of pulling the rim off the case. I am depending on the small base die I ordered to solve the problem. Call me independent but it's my problem to solve, but I have to admit the help I've gotten here has put me on track.
    That sounds like a too little or too much lube issue. I've had some that were difficult to pull back out, but the majority take more effort going into the die than out of it.

Deavis

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Austin
    You shouldn't have that much of a problem with them coming out. Pull out the expander, turn that die down, and size a casing. Since you've already sized them, the effort should be minimal in both directions but 308 takes some oomph with steel dies. Are you using lube or wax on the casings?

Deavis

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Austin
    Also, you can't size the very base of a casing on a press, sb die or normal die. If the head is out of spec, roll sizing is the only way to get it back unless you have a push through die for 308.

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    Never knew anyone that had a roll sizer. Then again, never knew anyone that had this issue where a FL Die couldn't work it. Are we talking case rim, because that's the only part a FL die won't reach because it's in the shell holder?

Deavis

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Austin
    Never knew anyone that had a roll sizer. Then again, never knew anyone that had this issue where a FL Die couldn't work it. Are we talking case rim, because that's the only part a FL die won't reach because it's in the shell holder?
    Scharch made them for years, they are great. They size the full base and were gangbusters on guppy brass from glocks. The amount of sizing depends on the shell holder\plate thickness and any die mouth radius. With some setups, you could leave 1\16" or more unsized above the groove and that could cause issues, even if it was on the solid.

I believe small base dies are like FCD dies, normally they are used to cover up the symptoms of another problem.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    If the Garand's chamber is true 7.62x51, and if the cases were resized with a small-base die, then the only thing that could prevent chambering is case length, bullet seating depth, and/or bullet weight/size/length.

Be well.

ttuttle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2015
    Guys, I have to thank one and all. I got the small base die as suggested and it did the trick. I ran the oversize cases thru the new die plus the regular sizing die just to make sure. It did the trick. Instead of jamming in the chamber they enter and eject easily. I really appreciate the help. Thanks!

ttuttle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2015
    308 fer sher!

If the Garand's chamber is true 7.62x51, and if the cases were resized with a small-base die, then the only thing that could prevent chambering is case length, bullet seating depth, and/or bullet weight/size/length.

Be well.
    The Garand T-type were definitly 308. It's stamped in the barrel "308 Win". They were rebarreled during Korea for the Navy. Why they're known as Tankers is beyond me.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Guys, I have to thank one and all. I got the small base die as suggested and it did the trick. I ran the oversize cases thru the new die plus the regular sizing die just to make sure. It did the trick. Instead of jamming in the chamber they enter and eject easily. I really appreciate the help. Thanks!
    Cool. Glad it worked out for you.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Cardwellfamily5%
    Top Bottom