• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2010
    Haslet
    I really love my Taurus pt1911, but the front sight tends to be hard to see (I think a combination of middle aged eyes and right hand/left eye dominant), and I wondered which would be a better option for conceal and carry situations. Since most real encounters would certainly be at night, I'm leaning toward a laser, but I think that would require a new holster.

What are everyone's opinions and experiences?

Thanks,
    Target Sports

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    it will require a new holster, unless yours is loose. your two options are a tough choice, i do a high hold on my 1911, so i dont think a laser grip would feel right to me, and i might possibly cover it. i would likely go with night nights in your position.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    Given that you have a light either on or off the weapon... A laser will let you shoot more precisely and since you are looking at the threat and using the laser your point of focus is the same. With night sights you have to focus on the sight and the target goes fuzzy. With us older folks it may take two pair of glasses, bifocals to see and aquire a threat and then switch to the front sight. But here is the catch. Never rely on a laser. Any laser as a primary means I'd sighting. Bring the gun up and focus on the front sight and then turn the laser on as a secondary aiming device. A good weapon mounted light will totally blackout the irons and silhouette them while letting you ID the threat. Lasers and night sights simply show you the weapon is pointed at a target you can't identify. I have a streemlight TLR-2 on my Glock 19. I think it's the best of both worlds.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    If you have a hard time seeing regular sights, then night sights aren't going to help much. Night sights with the white ring around them may help.

There are lasers that will fit your current holster.

Laser Gun Sight : LaserLyte : Laser Bore Sighter : Sub-Compact Laser : Universal Rail Mount : Quick Detachable Laser : Universal Rifle & Shotgun : Gun Sight Accessories : Universal Lasersight

RL-19N_Large_6.jpg

https://www.lasermax.com/ProductDetails/tabid/127/ProductID/300/Default.aspx
    $399.00 MSRP
    LMS-1911S
    1911%20GRL.MAIN(web).jpg

They are on the expensive side, but do the job.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    The Laserlyte rear sight laser is absolute trash. Almost every single one sold (hundreds) when I was at Cabela's was returned for repair. They are extremely finicky, fragile, and unreliable. It's my understanding that, after the whole ordeal, Glock severed ties with Laserlyte. That's what I heard anyways.

The ONLY laser worth considering are Crimson Trace Lasergrips. I would not consider any other laser on the market personally. The Crimson Trace's have about the most instinctive operational design, though I would opt for the newer versions that have the activation button on the front strap.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    The Laserlyte rear sight laser is absolute trash. Almost every single one sold (hundreds) when I was at Cabela's was returned for repair. They are extremely finicky, fragile, and unreliable. It's my understanding that, after the whole ordeal, Glock severed ties with Laserlyte. That's what I heard anyways.
    Did not know this. Good info.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2010
    Haslet
    Thanks for all the information. I like the idea of the crimsom trace, but they ain't cheap....about 400 bucks on the website. But depending on the day, my wife says I'm worth that...:)

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Check out the XS Big Dot. Requires a little re-learning, but once you understand how it works, it's awesome sauce! I have a set on my P220 Single Action Only, and I'm thinking about changing out the TruGlo TFO sights on my P226 I like 'em so much. XS Sight Systems - Sights

They're a lot more accurate than they seem at first blush.

Actually, if you really prefer "normal" sights, the TFO isn't a bad choice either. It's a TruGlo front sight with tritium under it so it really grabs the eye in pretty much any light. But I still think the XS does a better job when it comes to visibility.

Top Bottom