• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mkburden

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    HUNT COUNTY TEXAS
    I have narowed my selection down to two. I have a springfield xd9sc and am stuck between the rear sight laser and the guide rod laser. My questions are for anyone that owns either. The problem I have with the guide rod laser is replacing internal parts (built well?), but its also kind of the neat part I like about it too. Plus, doesn't add any size to the pistol, but it only pulses no constant on. The rear sight laser adds minimal size, but can be constant on or pulse. Feedback from both camps?
    ARJ Defense ad

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I had a guide rod laser for a Glock. It worked fine and never had a problem with it. That being said, I have to agree with the arguement of not changing out internal parts. The rear sight lasers seem pretty cool, and I would probably go that route if I needed another laser.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I have the most common guide rod laser for my XD-45, the LaserMax; and other than it tends to eat batteries (which aren't cheap), I still prefer it.

For one, I find it to be the best alignment to where the bullet is going to go in relative distances. Secondly, I prefer the internal design as that protects it from potential accidental damage. Thirdly, it doesn't add anything to the outside of the weapon, I can use the normal holsters and whatnot. Lastly, I got one of the first dozen made for my gun, and it has held up perfectly in the several years I've had it; so quality should not come into question.

As for the pulsing, there is a reason for it...faster target acquisition. It does draw your attention much quicker than a solid laser (which I have on a shottie) and it takes no time to get used to.

Other than the battery life, the only other downside is cost. Internal lasers are more expensive than external ones, and they are specific for a particular weapon (if I buy an XDm-45, I will need to buy a different laser for it). But none of those are significant enough for me to choose something else, and I've been very happy with my LaserMax!

Cheers! M2

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    I have had both a Glock and a 1911 with internal guide rod lasers. Both were great...I have a latch on under the barrel laser for my PT99 Taurus. It is supposed to be zeroed with a tiny allen wrench and is a pain to get right, or stay there....Don't waste your money on cheap products....

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    The rear sight lasers have a very short battery time rating, and I'm not sure much how power and brightness they have being so small. But they d seem like the best place for a laser to be. The guide rod sights have a bit of movement, and are rated for a larger MOA than the CT grip mounted. Everything's a trade off.

West Texas

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Texas!
    I've not had a minutes trouble out of any of the LaserLyte products I've bought...you get what you pay for!

shaggydog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2008
    College Station
    I have the LaserLyte rear sight lasers on my G30 and G21. Both have a few hundred rounds through them with the sights mounted. Shights have held zero, are very bright and do interfere with any holster. I like them very much.

Top Bottom