• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • radioflyer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    I wanted a holster for my P30 that would also fit the Armalaser RSS rail-laser. I thermoformed a custom body for my Comp-Tac Minotaur that worked well for IWB carry, but i wanted one for OWB as well. I have a lot of experience with ABS and using MEK solution and my thermoformer, this is what i came up wth.
    IMG_1216.jpg

IMG_1214.jpg

IMG_1215.jpg

The Body is .093" Haircell ABS in a full wrap chem-welded together with a seperate welded on section for the inside portion with cutout belt-loops. I formed a much larger front sight channel than normel to ease re-holstering. Using the heat gun, i was able to get perfect retention. Took it to my tactical class and it functions as smoothly as i expected. The only downside is the hidious finish that resulted from sanding the entire piece in preperation for a texture-coat I ran out of earlier that week.
    This is a prototype proof of concept. I will probably make a second one with a better cut and finish possibly using Kydex instead of ABS due to it's lower melting point.
    Guns International

espnazi

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    El Paso
    Cool, I'm in the process of making one for my p30 out of kydex. I'm still not very good at making them but it is certainly fun.

Here a is of the only one I've made so far.

22027-1.jpg

espnazi

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    El Paso
    I'm using a press with some cheap harbor freight ratchet clamps.

I first heat the kydex in a small toaster oven. Place a piece of kydex then the gun at the angle I want it. followed by the second piece of hot kydex and put on the clamps. I use foam on both sides to give a sandwich effect similar to Raven holsters.

radioflyer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Looks good.

Helpful hints:

- If for some reason your retention is too tight or loose, you can address a specific area using a hot-hair dryer as a heat gun.
    - I like to attach a 1/4" dowel rod to the centerline top of the slide to ensure a good clean sight channel.

espnazi

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    El Paso
    Thanks.

When i start making different designs I'll start using a dowel/pencil for a channel. The thing I like about the Raven design is you dont need one since one is naturally created.

radioflyer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Hmm. I think i'm going to try a couple sheets of Kydex to see what i can come up with.

From what i've read, a 50/50 mixture of tetrahydrofuran (THF) and methylethylketone (MEK) along with combined with 10% Kydex shavings will bond kydex to itself using a similar procedure to my ABS method.

I'd really like to build a holster for my HK45 to accomidate a rail tac light. It's proving to be a complete pain in the ass. Perhaps A modified clay mold would be better suited to making the holster than the actual weapon itself.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Cool, good progress. I just got some materials and started doing some kydex stuff. I'll post pics in the next few days. Just for fun I built kind of a Raven style holster out of the .125 kydex and it is pretty darn thick. ;) I'll say this much, it's cool how easily this stuff thermo-forms.

Top Bottom