Law Enforcement Only ammo

TipBledsoe

Jun 28, 2020
San Antonio area
Are ordinary citezens allowed to buy/sell/own ammunition labeled as Law Enforcement Only, such as Black Talon and Winchester SXT?

Tamlibtoim

Jun 1, 2016
Texas (Bay Area)
I am by no means an authority on this, but I believe its just a marketing gimmick as quite a few manufacturers put this on their boxes. I have never heard of an ammunition that is strictly for law enforcement. That being said I have read that some states prohibit the use of some ammunition, specifically hollow points.

seeker_two

TGT Addict
Jul 1, 2008
LEO-Only ammo is perfectly legal. In the beginning, the label indicated the ammo was loaded to a higher pressure than commercial ammo. The LEO agency that bought it had to sign a waiver releasing the manufacturer from liability for increased wear and breakage on the guns. Now, it's mainly a sales gimmick to drum up large agency contract sales. LEO ammo isn't any different than commercial +P ammo now.

oldag

TGT Addict
Feb 19, 2015
Winchester Ranger T is a great round. Supposedly law enforcement only. But with some searching you can find a dealer who is selling it to the general public.

Renegade

SuperOwner
Mar 5, 2008
Texas
Nope. Pistol AP ammo is illegal to sell, rifle AP is perfectly legal to make and sell
OP context was pistol Ammo, hence I replied in context

But since you brought it up, AP Ammo is also illegal in certain rifles and DDs, but I would be most impressed if OP has GAU-8 and is looking for 30mm DU rounds.

Last edited:
Top Bottom