Law enforement structure.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Dcav, Dec 6, 2009.

1. Dcav

Dcav TGT Addict

Oct 31, 2009
    Converse
    New to Texas, on the Houston/Spring border. Some dumb-asses where fighting in the parking lot and police came. There vests had constable on the back, noticed it as I watched the ruckus out of my bedroom window. So far I have seen Houston police, and constables, just curious what the structure is. In NY we had local, county, and of course the state police. :headscratch:

2. Jason

Jason Well-Known

Apr 20, 2008
    Austiin area
    All I know if they were in Austin and black the city would be getting sued shortly after the outcome of the event especially if one of "them" gets shot or killed by the police. This is of course no matter what they were doing to get shot or killed. Only other NWVDDC's are allowed to kill NWCDDC's.

3. Willy

Willy Well-Known

Aug 28, 2009
    Ellis County
    I think most constables are part of the county law enforcement. They have recently been given the power to write traffic tickets, but their main purpose is to serve warrants. The perp may have had a warrant out for his arrest and they called in the constables to arrest and transfer the perp. At least that's how I understand it. Feel free to correct me, somebody.

4. txinvestigator

txinvestigator TGT Addict

May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Constables are elected officials. The Texas Constitution calls for each county to have precincts, and a Constable for each precinct. The Constables hire deputies. They have traditionally served to bailiff the Justice of the Peace Courts and serve warrants and civil process.

They have always been full Texas Peace Officers, and could always write traffic tickets.

The JPs handle small claims and class C misdemeanors from the LE agencies other than the city police. City police Class Cs are handled through the city courts, called Municipal Courts.

Class C misdemeanors are crimes punishable by only a fine, and are our lowest class of crime. Traffic violations are mostly class C.

Other LE agencies are the city police, who investigate all crime within the jurisdiction. Some towns have Marshals, who focus on serving the warrants of municipal courts.

The Sheriff is an elected official, and he is tasked with running the county jail as well as Law Enforcement within the county. While Sheriff's typically concentrate on the unincorporated areas of the county, their LE jurisdiction is the entire county. Of course, they hire deputies.

The Texas DPS is our state LE agency. They began with the creation of the Texas Rangers in 1823. In 1935, the Department of Public Safety was officially started, with the combination of the Rangers, License & Weight, and Highway Patrol. The Rangers are our state Investigative Agency.

There are other LE agencies, such as Dallas' Dallas Area Rapid Transit (DART) Police, colleges and hospitals can have their own agencies, there is the Texas Parks and Wildlife Park Rangers, etc.

All LE agencies can arrest on warrants issued from any court.

Below is a complete list;

5. Dcav

Dcav TGT Addict

Oct 31, 2009
    Converse
    Thanks TX, that's the kind of answer I was looking for. Just trying to keep myself informed of my new surroundings.

6. armadillo

armadillo Member

Sep 15, 2009
    TX
    In the Houston area it is common practice to have Deputy Constables doing patrol work outside the city limits. The large subdivisions contract with the elected Constable to provide a set number of patrol hours for a fee. As I understand it - the Constable is allowed to use these funds to hire extra Deputies outside his official budget. Many of the Deputies are retired PD officers and Deputy Sheriffs.

7. cuate

cuate Well-Known

Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    "Texas has the Biggest and Mostess of everything". Like nutty drivers around the big cities, road hog 18 wheelers, Elmer Fudd poke along drivers holdin up traffic, dark tinted window gangbangers with firearms aboard, speeders. tailgaters, litterbugs, wierdos, dingbats and hippies....Along with accompaning Barney Phifes by the millions enriching the coffers of their LEO courts with dollars almost as great as the spending
    spree of the obomanites...Revenuers properly labeled. All because so many people have the "get there-itis" and their personalities take over the steering wheel and gas pedal ! Did I leave out the "po" illegal aliens who don't seem to have drivers licenses, liability insurance, or a permanent address when they can be found once they T Bone your shiny new car? Maybe we need some extra Constables...

8. ZX9RCAM

ZX9RCAM Over the Rainbow bridge... TGT Supporter

May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    For the record, ISD police CAN write tickets outside of school areas.....I always thought they could not.

9. txinvestigator

May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    What do you mean by "school area"? The entire land area that the ISD encompasses (everywhere that pays an ISD property tax) is their jurisdiction.

10. txinvestigator

May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I have done exhaustive research on this. Fact; in Dallas the ENTIRE fines collected by municipal court (that includes PD, FD, code enforcement, etc) are less than 5% of the city budget. Public Safety is by far the biggest expenditure the city has.

I have looked at all of the major cities, and the numbers remain true. Revenue is just not the reason for traffic enforcement.