• ...and so much more!
  • Mike1234567

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    South Texas
    I had a supervisor at Ft. Sam Houston who, for a very short time, complained when she saw I wasn't wasn't woking. I told her, give me more work and I'll do it. The work wasn't there to do so I sat there at my desk for 2-3 days at a time with nothing to do. I even offered to try to drum up more work but was told, "Oh no, we don't want that". She continued to complain until I offered to walk over with her to her supervisor and explain that I got my work done 2-3 times faster than every other worker and had 1/2 to 1/3 as many rejects. So, IMNSHO, that made me her best employee... not only the fastest but the best quality too... and yes, I'm bored so please give me more work. She declined and told me I was doing a great job. I did often sit on my ass doing nothing for the entire 8 hour workday though.
    Gun Zone Deals

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    I almost never get mad at people at work, but one salaried guy who works for me has earned my ire. We've got key cards that stamp when people get into the building. This dude's been working 7 hours and getting paid for 8. Damn thief is all he is. I call him out on it, write him up and he starts whining about all his chores in the mornings, have to get up earlier, won't have time for breakfast etc. F%$*er. He's from Cali - maybe that crap works there.

Does he get done what he's supposed to in his 7 hours?

He's salaried. If he's exempt (which is usually the case with a salaried employee), he's not on an hourly time clock.

Push him on hours and you'll end up with him taking you for overtime, time spent working from home (if he has access to email on a laptop or phone), etc. when he gets the labor board to re-certify him as hourly/non-exempt.

In other words, give him more work that will take more time in the office - don't require more hours. If he's not doing his work that's different from not putting in X hours.

Last edited:

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Here's what you do:
    Tally up all the hours he has shorted the company.
    Call him in.
    Explain to him he has shorted the company X number of hours.
    He now has a choice to make. 1.) Pay back the shorted hours with his vacation time. 2.) He can resign.

If he is doing it on a regular basis he is stealing from the company.

He owes no hours to the company if he's salaried and exempt. That's key. If he's not exempt, salaried or not, he's due overtime. Is he exempt?

Edit: You can absolutely require salaried employees to work certain hours - you just can't dock them for not doing so (but there can be disciplinary action).

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I work on commission only. If I dont work I dont make money.

sometimes I hear little rubs from hourly guys when I take off a couple hours here and there, but I only do that to keep things even from when I worked during non business hours, which I do alot. I start working at 6 lots of mornings when they don't show up till 8
    As long as I am making my goals and taking care of my customers, I have the latitude to plan my own work. I could not clock in and work in a cubicle for 8 hours... no way

SA_Steve

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 1, 2014
    San Antonio, Texas USA
    An old corporate rule is there's no credit from coming in early, lots of penalty for leaving early.

I've known several incompetent folks who always kept their desk piled high and appeared to be hard at work when the boss left. They all got promoted to management in short order.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    I had a supervisor at Ft. Sam Houston who, for a very short time, complained when she saw I wasn't wasn't woking. I told her, give me more work and I'll do it. The work wasn't there to do so I sat there at my desk for 2-3 days at a time with nothing to do. I even offered to try to drum up more work but was told, "Oh no, we don't want that". She continued to complain until I offered to walk over with her to her supervisor and explain that I got my work done 2-3 times faster than every other worker and had 1/2 to 1/3 as many rejects. So, IMNSHO, that made me her best employee... not only the fastest but the best quality too... and yes, I'm bored so please give me more work. She declined and told me I was doing a great job. I did often sit on my ass doing nothing for the entire 8 hour workday though.

Had to do that in the only union shop I ever worked.
    Being salaried, I was not union.
    But my job as an Expediter included lots of overlapping participation on the factory floor, all union workers.
    I got my butt routinely chewed for working too hard and showing them up.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    You have to try my creme filling

2ntuwee.gif

Top Bottom