• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • unicom

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2016
    So, not sure why I can't reply to your PM. Maybe because I'm still considered a "new member"?
    Anyways, I can still see your PM. If you PM me your number, I can text you back and we can arrange when/where to exchange the helmet. Thanks!

210-819-8758

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DK Firearms

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    So, not sure why I can't reply to your PM. Maybe because I'm still considered a "new member"?
    Anyways, I can still see your PM. If you PM me your number, I can text you back and we can arrange when/where to exchange the helmet. Thanks!
    Yes.
    I believe 25 posts, or being a paying member, is required.

Tex929rr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 11, 2015
    Welfare, TX
    A lot of good advice so far. We are still riding sportbikes (I’m 65 and the Mrs 61). As many have said, a smaller dual sport is a great way to start. The problem with bigger displacement bikes is the power comes on so fast you can get yourself in trouble much more quickly, but even 30 horsepower is enough to kill yourself. As far as helmets, Shoei and Arai are great. They used to be way better than the alternatives but nowadays Scorpion, KBC, Shark, etc all make excellent helmets at moderate prices. I have found that I really like helmets with built in sunshades. Cycle Gear went to carrying mostly their own brand but I don’t know if they are any good or not.

innominate

Asian Cajun
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Austin
    I don't agree with the big displacement bikes are too powerful sentiment. That blanket statement is misleading. A 600 cc triumph triple will splat you like a bug plenty quick

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    I don't agree with the big displacement bikes are too powerful sentiment. That blanket statement is misleading. A 600 cc triumph triple will splat you like a bug plenty quick
    A 600 is big in displacement compared to a 250 is what I think he was getting at. Sportbikes have a ton of power even the 600's. My last bike sport bike was a 2006 Kawasaki ZX636. AKA "Sex dirty sex" and that bike had enough power to get in trouble quick!

unicom

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2016
    I hear people tell me not to start with a 600cc bike all the time. And some say no more then a 600cc. But I know plenty of people who started out on bigger bikes all the way up to a hayabusa and did just fine. They say it comes down to being able to exercise self control and not push the bike hard until you have plenty of practice with the controls and a lot of experience. I don’t even know what type of bike I will get. But an MSF course is in my very near future before I even think about getting one.

Tblack89

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2022
    Hutto tx
    My buddy had never rode and I taught him on a zx6r. The reason I would say not to start on a 250-300 is you out grow it quickly.

On the same note you definitely have to have self control and not get to big for your britches, you will get hurt quickly if you do.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I’ll most likely get my license. Just incase.

Then I would suggest a lighter bike to test on. I'm not sure about Texas since I transferred my License from Oregon. Even though I had a motorcycle endorsement from Washington state I had to take a written test in Oregon. I'm pretty sure first time motorcycle endorsements require an actual riding test as well.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    Whiskey throttle is a thing. Never panic and grab a handful of throttle. Always go for the clutch first if shit is going south. This can happen on any bike, but the more powerful the bike the worse it will be.

There is big difference in power between a 600cc super sport bike like a Honda CBR600 and 600CC cruiser like a Honda Shadow.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    Then I would suggest a lighter bike to test on. I'm not sure about Texas since I transferred my License from Oregon. Even though I had a motorcycle endorsement from Washington state I had to take a written test in Oregon. I'm pretty sure first time motorcycle endorsements require an actual riding test as well.
    Here the Saftey course is the riding part of the test. It's required to take it to get the M endorsement on your license. They supply the bikes for the course. You cannot use your bike for the course here and they are all under 249cc. Most of them with be little 125s.

unicom

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2016
    The closest Harley dealer uses there 500cc cruiser I believe

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Here the Saftey course is the riding part of the test. It's required to take it to get the M endorsement on your license. They supply the bikes for the course. You cannot use your bike for the course here and they are all under 249cc. Most of them with be little 125s.
    Well that's good. Some states even have different class (below or above 500cc's and 3 wheel) motorcycle endorsements, if I remember rightly, Oregon did.

innominate

Asian Cajun
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Austin
    I hear people tell me not to start with a 600cc bike all the time. And some say no more then a 600cc. But I know plenty of people who started out on bigger bikes all the way up to a hayabusa and did just fine. They say it comes down to being able to exercise self control and not push the bike hard until you have plenty of practice with the controls and a lot of experience. I don’t even know what type of bike I will get. But an MSF course is in my very near future before I even think about getting one.

Yeah the displacement can be misleading. My first bike was a 900 CC Triumph twin. ~60hp at the crank. Yet a 600 cc bike can easily have over 100hp. And be 100# lighter than the 900cc bike. There is no 1 answer. Self control and understanding limits go a long way.

Tblack89

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2022
    Hutto tx
    The only difference I can feel between my r6 and r1 is the torque. R1 definitely is way more torquey.

Realistically they both have the same top speed of 189 or at least that’s where they govern out at. So I’ve been told.

A 600 is more than enough power on the street, most will never touch anywhere near its full potential anyway.

studenygreg

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2015
    My 1st bike was a Suzuki tu250x. I rode it for years. It handled like a bicycle. Got great gas mileage. It did 95% of everything I wanted. I even used it 2up. I like the nimbleness of smaller bikes. I'm not a speed demon. Just need to keep up with traffic on the highway and on hills.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom