Patriot Mobile

Leaving a blue state, need advice from texas residents.....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blue2Red

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 4, 2015
    Hello everyone, as the title alludes to, I think I am nearing my last days in the state of New Jersey. For those of you who have visited the area or know people who live in the Northeast, you'll know that the area area is not exactly conducive to a "free" way of life. Aside from the obvious laughable firearm laws, the financial burden is pretty ridiculous. I make decent money as an Aircraft Technician for a commercial airline, and I am barely living paycheck to paycheck for a comparatively uncomfortable lifestyle. $8500 a year in just property tax, $350k for 1500 sqft with no property, $3000 a year for 2 cars insurance, $1000 a year for homeowners insurance, $4000 to state income tax, the list goes on. I know everyone has bills, and I am very grateful for what I have worked for, but there has to be more to life than just breaking even for basic necessities. Regardless of the financial burden, the people in this area suck, no manners, no sense of pride or even respect for where they live. I have become accustom to the cultural diversity, as I have lived here my whole life, however being made to feel foreign in your country is becoming strange for me. Until I started getting older, none of these things were on my mind, and life was simple. Now having grown a little, I things its crazy that I cant even stop to take a piss when traveling home from the shooting range. Home and range only. Anyway, sorry for carrying on, I guess the rant and rave section was the right place for this post.

To make a long story even longer, I have access to free flight from my job, and I want to move out of state for either a portion of the year or travel back and forth as many of my co workers do. A few of my coworkers in here New Jersey live in Houston, however I would like to get some "residential knowledge" from you guys from various parts of Texas, which likely have similar interests as me. I am not interested in living in a major city, but wouldn't mind being within reasonable (30-45 min) driving distance to one. I would like enough property to be able to shoot my guns, ride dirt bikes, work on cars, and so on without being put in jail. I'm not used to the extreme heat, but would prefer the dry heat rather than the humidity. I would like good value for my money when it comes to a home with property. These may sound like very basic criteria to most of you, but these are luxuries to me. Any suggestions on where in Texas to look into or places to avoid, would be greatly appreciated. Also, some information on what taxes are like, and the cost of common items, utilities, gas, food, esc would be a big help as well. Thanks again
    Lynx Defense

texas skeeter

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Somewhere here nor there....
    I just left N. Texas and we moved to SW Missouri. there are 4 Airports within 45 mins of my house. Property here in which is heavily wooded with crazy good hunting is cheap. Just thought I'd through it out there....

image-M.jpg

image-M.jpg

image-S.jpg

image-S.jpg

Recoil45

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2014
    I just moved here a year ago from NY and find nearly everything is better and the cost of living is far lower.

The minor cons are:

Heavily enforced traffic laws.

High water bills.

Small pieces of land in most new subdivisions in the N Dallas area.

Big con:
    Almost impossible to buy a house not controlled by an HOA in N Dallas.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    If you are looking to get away from Humidity, Houston is probably not the area to look in. Welcome aboard.

Give this thread some time. There will be members here that will surely be able to help you get a better idea of what you may be looking for.

Blue2Red

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 4, 2015
    That is beautiful. The airports are an important consideration for me. May I ask the reason for leaving Texas?

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    Texas is big and lots of options (about the same as the tri-state area to Maine, if not further). Humidity no good? Stay away from Houston, we have 50 to 60% + regularly there. Western part of the state or pan handle has little humidity. Liberals inhabit Austin, stay away. Dallas, too (unless in the country outside of Dallas). San Antonio, meh, a wannabe Austin if you ask me. Past that, anywhere is going to be better than Jersey (I was born in Newark). HOAs have the power to put a lien on your house in Texas. Crazy, but true. I personally avoid HOAs, but they serve a purpose (keeps your neighbors in check). The further west you go, cheaper land gets. But of you're looking for cheap land, Texas is no longer the place (unless you get property near border).

Blue2Red

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 4, 2015
    If you are looking to get away from Humidity, Houston is probably not the area to look in. Welcome aboard.

Give this thread some time. There will be members here that will surely be able to help you get a better idea of what you may be looking for.

Thank you, this forum seems great so far, and I look forward to hearing more about your state. I continuously see Texas high on losts for quality of living, productivity, levels of crime, and after seeing some real-estate listings, I was blown away

texas skeeter

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    That is beautiful. The airports are an important consideration for me. May I ask the reason for leaving Texas?
    to buy reasonable land. Don't get me wrong I LOVE Texas. BUT.... to find decent heavily wooded, lots of water land for a good price with exceptional hunting. The Only places in Texas are all south as far as I'm concerned and they are too proud of that dirt price wise. You have Springfield, Branson Creek, Branson corp and Fayetteville Ar. airports all with-in 45 mins of me. We love it here....

Blue2Red

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 4, 2015
    Texas is big and lots of options (about the same as the tri-state area to Maine, if not further). Humidity no good? Stay away from Houston, we have 50 to 60% + regularly there. Western part of the state or pan handle has little humidity. Liberals inhabit Austin, stay away. Dallas, too (unless in the country outside of Dallas). San Antonio, meh, a wannabe Austin if you ask me. Past that, anywhere is going to be better than Jersey (I was born in Newark). HOAs have the power to put a lien on your house in Texas. Crazy, but true. I personally avoid HOAs, but they serve a purpose (keeps your neighbors in check). The further west you go, cheaper land gets. But of you're looking for cheap land, Texas is no longer the place (unless you get property near border).

Thanks man, I work at EWR, so you know where I am coming from. Ill have to look into this HOA issue, as it seems to have come up twice already. In reference to the property sizes. Being that you have lived in both Jersey and Texas, is there a big difference in value when it comes to sqft and acres in Texas?

Blue2Red

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 4, 2015
    to buy reasonable land. Don't get me wrong I LOVE Texas. BUT.... to find decent heavily wooded, lots of water land for a good price with exceptional hunting. The Only places in Texas are all south as far as I'm concerned and they are too proud of that dirt price wise. You have Springfield, Branson Creek, Branson corp and Fayetteville Ar. airports all with-in 45 mins of me. We love it here....

Sounds great, ill have to take a close look into the Springfield area and the flight availability. Question, and I am going to sound like a noob, but how much land to you need to be able to shoot a decent distance (300 yards). I am not really a hunter, however, I am involved in 3 gun, and wouldnt mind being able to practice on my own property.

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Thanks man, I work at EWR, so you know where I am coming from. Ill have to look into this HOA issue, as it seems to have come up twice already. In reference to the property sizes. Being that you have lived in both Jersey and Texas, is there a big difference in value when it comes to sqft and acres in Texas?

An HOA in Texas has the ability to foreclose on your house. If a capricious board wants to come up with a reason - they can.

Due process? Sure, plus additional fees and lawyers bills.

That alone is reason to avoid them, unless you like having slave-masters.

Blue2Red

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 4, 2015
    An HOA in Texas has the ability to foreclose on your house. If a capricious board wants to come up with a reason - they can.

Due process? Sure, plus additional fees and lawyers bills.

That alone is reason to avoid them, unless you like having slave-masters.

Do these HOA's usually "rule" large developments or do they extend out to even the rural away from the city? This sounds like something to avoid for sure

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    Compared to the North East, especially EWR/North Jersey area? In almost all parts of Texas, absolutely. Last year, I bought a 2300 sqft house set up in '07 on 5 acres, wooded, can't see my neighbors, and in the country about 35 - 40 minutes from from the city (Fort Worth) for under $140,000. My property taxes are about $2,000/yr. Good luck finding anything close to that up there. Now on the city side, you will not be able to find anything past .33 acres really as most new houses are built on small lots, .5 if you're lucky. A nice neighborhood development in the metroplex, a 3,000 sqft home will run you $250 - 300,000 with property taxes being about $4 to $5,000/yr. Property taxes are higher down here but that because there is not a state income tax.

texas skeeter

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    how much land to you need to be able to shoot a decent distance (300 yards). I am not really a hunter, however, I am involved in 3 gun, and wouldnt mind being able to practice on my own property.
    I bought 34 acres on a lake with lakefront at 100K. More than enough for my own 1000yd range. I've even got the perfect spot with angles picked out. :asniper:

Blue2Red

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 4, 2015
    Compared to the North East, especially EWR/North Jersey area? In almost all parts of Texas, absolutely. Last year, I bought a 2300 sqft house set up in '07 on 5 acres, wooded, can't see my neighbors, and in the country about 35 - 40 minutes from from the city (Fort Worth) for under $140,000. My property taxes are about $2,000/yr. Good luck finding anything close to that up there. Now on the city side, you will not be able to find anything past .33 acres really as most new houses are built on small lots, .5 if you're lucky. A nice neighborhood development in the metroplex, a 3,000 sqft home will run you $250 - 300,000 with property taxes being about $4 to $5,000/yr. Property taxes are higher down here but that because there is not a state income tax.

Wow! I knew it was good, but not that good. That sounds like exactly what I would look for. Outside the city, wooded, great price, big lot, taxes very low. Ill look into Fort Worth. Is your property under a HOA? Are these types of properties hard to come by, or is that the norm down there?

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Do these HOA's usually "rule" large developments or do they extend out to even the rural away from the city? This sounds like something to avoid for sure

All depends on the property and how it was developed. You can ABSOLUTELY tell your realtor "nothing with an HOA" and they can filter that in the search.

Not all are bad, but all have the potential to GO bad, and once they do you're hosed.

You might look just north of San Antonio around Bulverde. Would be close to SAT airport but closer to the hill country, more land, etc.

If you're willing to have connecting flights, anywhere 45 minutes from Tyler or Longview would work well, too, in Northeast Texas.

Dry heat gets you into the valley, but you'd have to be near Brownsville or McAllen to be near a connecting airport.

texas skeeter

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Also pay attention to County laws. Lots of Counties in Texas have a 10.1 acre or larger parcel rule to legally be able to shoot on. A buddy has a 7.5 acre pc just outside of Mansfield south of the DFW metroplex and he legally cannot shoot on it. Although he is lucky his neighbors don't complain about it. But as time moves on you just know more and more seem to complain about everything. So don't get stuck buying property too small, setting it up to shoot to find out later some whiney neighbors from Crazifornia moved in next door...

Top Bottom