Venture Surplus ad

Lee Anniversary. What Else Do I Need? Is It Cost Effective?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rabies

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    Texas
    TinyURL.com - shorten that long URL into a tiny URL Lee Anniversary

OK. So I'll need:
    Dies
    Powder
    Bullets
    Brass
    Primers
    A table to mount this to

What else?

How stout of a table?

Then there's this. TinyURL.com - shorten that long URL into a tiny URL Lee Hand Press

Looks like a lot less gear but still says it's ready to go. I can imagine it's slower and takes more labor.

What I'm looking to do is reload for my wife and I. A few boxes here and there. We'd be doing .38, .357, .380, .44, .45 LC and 9mm. Maybe 7.63x39mm and 8mm (Mauser K98). Will either of these do shotgun shells?

My aim here is to reload and load ammo so we'll have it to shoot when we want. The ammo shortage won't last and prices will go down. Supply has come back up and prices have gone down already. It ain't like it used to be though. This going to the store and seeing bare ammo shelves and paying twice for odd name stuff as what brand name stuff used to be has gotten old. I saw .44 going for $1 a round today. And this is on the down slide of the panic. Looks like reloading isn't just for people who are "really into it" anymore.

Thanks y'all.

*** Tiny URL will bring you to Cabela's. The links were 100+ characters long.
    Capitol Armory ad

country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    You will need a caliper to measure the OAL of the rounds, as far as the table. I used two pieces of 3/4 oak plywood for the top with 4 4x4 post as legs. Its solid. I bought the single stage anniversary kit, works good. For shotgun shells you'll need a seperate press.

c_m_shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    Paradise
    If you are going to reload rifle rouns the table will need to be fairly stout. Mine was on a portable grinder stand for about ten years until I tore the top off with a stuck .270 case. The anniversery kit works, but I upgraded to a better scale. I weighed every charge for a long time and the Lee scale didn't like to stay set. Definatley get a set of dial calipers also for checking length and crimp.

When you get started, go for the caliber you shoot the most volume with first and get real comfortable before moving to another. You will find that each will have their own challenges, just be patient and take good notes, so you can go back and know what worked well and what didn't. When I was only loading one caliber I never wrote anything down, and now I am kicking myself for it. I have forgotten a lot of good combinations.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I like the Lee presses for beginners. The hand presses are not a good way to go at all. Maybe for reloading at the range is about it. I foresee you wanting a progressive in the near future because of so many handgun rounds.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    My table is four .5" plywood sheets together. It is 18" deep and 6' long. If I were to do it over again, I'd get 3/4. Not that I've had a problem before, just makes me feel better.

I have a turret at one end, and a progressive at the other.

You also need a big shelf. Lots of crap to keep organized. My Grandpa gave me a bunch of stuff too, which helps.

robin303

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    Austin
    Throw the scale away and get this: Dillon Precision: Reloaders, Reloading Equipment, Bullet Reloading, Bullet Reloaders
    I bought the 50th for my silly self for Xmas and I like it alot. Make sure you get the 4 set dies and two boxes of the Lee Breech Locks. Before you start drilling holes everywhere to set it up use a couple C clamps so you get used to everything in arms length. Lot of fun really. Try to find primers is the big show stopper for me right now. I load 9mm & 40 S&W for the G19 & 23 and be glad to help you out.

Iron Will

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2009
    Denton
    You may want to add to the list: big pair of safety glasses; a reloading tray (helps keep things tidy while working rounds); bullet puller (you will use it); a bunch of ammo cases.

I found the scale to be very accurate. Just take care of it and keep it clean. Also keep it out of A/C wind drafts when using it; it's very sensitive. The only problem I found is that the powder measure leaks like crazy when using fine powder. I wound up replacing it with an RCBS powder measure.

I also give high marks for the Lee Load Master. It really moves things along for us on a budget.

Major Woody

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2008
    I have the LEE Classic Turret press and it beats a single stage and you can change calibers by pulling out the turret and putting another one in.

Top Bottom