• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bryonbush

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 17, 2010
    Terrell
    anyone use the lee classic turret press? im looking at getting one to replace the single stager i have. ive seen very good reviews online but wanted to see what people had to say about it here.
    DK Firearms

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    I've got one, but it doesn't get much use. I'm only using it with a decaping die then a resizing die for 5.56 and 7.62 military brass these days. It's a pretty good turret for the money, but after getting a Dillon progressive, I'm using it very little. If you get one, get the cast model, I've played with both and the cast is the sturdiest one they have. That's the one I bought.

PopsXD9sc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Longview
    Loaded many 1000's of 9mm and .45 over the past couple of years. Only thing I didn't like was the powder measure but that can be upgraded to where it works pretty well. For the money I had in the press it was well worth the money. Got a good deal on a Hornady LocknLoad so the calssic turret is used for .223 only now.

bryonbush

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 17, 2010
    Terrell
    well thats good to hear that its worth getting. i reload 223 and .40 for now but if it works out, then .30-06 soon. i had my eye on the hornady lnl or even the dillon, but i cant justify that in my budget at all. cody- how do i know which press is the cast model?

Charley

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    San Antonio
    Are you talking the Lee Classic Cast turret? That's the relatively newer cast iron press. I think it is a great value for the money, well designed and plenty strong. I use mine for forming brass and other heavier duty jobs than straight handloading. The older turret press is aluminum. It is reasonably strong, and does the job, but it will wear faster. I wore one sloppy after about 15 years and many thousands of rounds.

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    cody- how do i know which press is the cast model?

When I bought mine, Midway was selling a "Lee Classic Turret" and a "Lee Classic Cast Turret". I checked out both and many people were saying that the
    cast was a sturdier unit. I bought it for about $20 more.

One thing you'll notice is that nothing is as precise as a single stage. Every turret or progressive press I've used has had some slop to it, it's just the
    nature of moving parts. I still load all of my precision ammo on a single stage.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    A turret press is just going to save time switching between dies. If you want to spend the $$ to upgrade. . . .get a progressive. You'll be happy you did. I've got a Dillon, love it. I don't think I'd be sad with the Hornady. Truth is, I've looking to ditch my lyman turret press and get a standard single stage because I'm not thrilled with the consistancy of my turret.

Top Bottom