• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vvllbs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Picked up a used "handloader" from a trade a while back and want to give it a try to see if reloading is for me or not? It says not to use for semi auto, pump or lever actions. I will mainly be using a H&R Handi Rifle (I want to mimic Leverevolution) also want to make loads for my 357 Revolver (JP Sauer Hawes Western Marshall) and maybe some 38's for a Taurus 38 snub. Don't know if I can put the mimic Leverrevolutions in the Western Marshall but would like to make a deer/hog load that would work in the Handi and Western Marshall?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Guns International

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    If I remember correctly the Lee Handloader kit doesn't provide a way to measure length of the cases or a tool to trim them to correct length.
    Lever and semi guns have to have ammo the correct length to function properly.
    You can load with the Lee kit but it's very slow and tedious.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    I've always thought the Lee hand loader is so you can reload sitting at the range. Adjust the powder load as you shoot.

Same with stuff like this too. Where you reload with a rubber mallet.

90253.jpg

DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio
    I've tried them with a .243 and .308. They work well but take a while and your powder options are limited if you use the single scoop that comes with the kit.

xdmikey

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    cypress, tx
    If I started with that I would be finished with that!

if you want to go cheap(I am Mr Cheap!)I would get a Lee anniversary kit from midsouth or Natchez or a distributor out of state from you(save the tax)and give it a whirl. It comes with everything you need to make full rounds.

DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio
    I don't know which press comes with that kit but a single stage press is pretty slow when loading pistol ammo. Get a turret press. You'll be happier in the long run.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I started out reloading shot shells on a Texan loader in 1967 and moved into cartridge reloading using Lee Loaders in .357 mag and .45 acp. I was so stinking poor that it kept me in the Lee loading for some time!

Those Lee Loaded rounds kept my Ruger Blackhawk and 1911 guns shooting for several years and the round count was tallied by counting the empty boxes from the Speer bullets used. I forget the round count, but it was in the thousands!

Yes, the Lee loaders neck size only but using the same pistols every time, there were no bulging or chamber issues with those rounds.

Several primers went off in the Lee primer seating device and I really hated that, so I got the little Lee hand priming device to use on the priming step, instead.

Get a plastic loading block and work the brass in groups. Don't let anyone tell you that the little Lee loader won't work well. It kept me shooting when I didn't have two nickles to rub together!

Incidentally, I still have the two Lee Loaders after all these years and they could tap, tap, tap rounds today, if necessary! The loaders haven't changed except for the color of the dipper and the box. The older units came in a foam bottom and a cardboard top.

Put your powder in a container, run the dipper through it and scrape off the excess without tapping it. Unless you tap the powder dipper to pack the powder down, the dippers provide a very consistent charge.

A plastic tipped mallet worked best for me.

Have fun!

Flash

Last edited:

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    My first foray into reloading was with the Lee Hand Loader in 9 mm Luger.

At the time, I was not familiar with the importance of case length, charge weight, or seating depth.

It was a tedious process, but I enjoyed assembling rounds.

Every now and then while "hammering" in a primer it went "bang." Scared the bejeesus out of me.

Every round I loaded went bang with no ka-booms at the range.

The neighbors downstairs, however, complained of my constant "banging" upstairs as I used a hammer to resize the cartridge cases.

Be well.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    Why not try it? It works as advertised. It's how I started.

It's fun to make primer only brass with wax bullets as well. In the house they can be fun to shoot. Hearing protection is still needed I found out.

Enlarge the flash hole a bit for more fun with the wax bullets and fewer primers backing out. Don't use the large flash holed brass for anything else.

vvllbs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    On an impulse buy I bought a large quantity of 148 DEWC and 125 Hollow Points from Berry's Bullets, I also bought some CCI primers the other day. Still need powder, any tips on what kind of powder.

vvllbs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    I also bought a Lee for 45 LC, need tips for loading it for my survivor 45/410 single shot as well

Kosh75287

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2008
    Nemo
    Just don't forget to lube the cases before sizing and de-priming them. I used a q-tip dipped in 3-in-1 oil back when I used a Lee Loader. I swabbed the inside of the die on every other case, and that's probably too often.

texbiker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2012
    SE san antonio
    reloaded my first ammo with lee hand loader. couldn't afford 44 mag. it works, but beware- it leads to harder and more expensive products. it's the gateway reloader.

LOCKHART

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2014
    Lockhart, Texas
    While the Lee loader does only neck size bottle neck cases, I believe it full length sizes on straight wall cases. I loaded MANY .45 acp rounds on mine, back in 1965, when I first started reloading.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I unleashed that Lee loader on the rat population in the late 1960's. There's no telling how many of the furry bastards I sent to rat heaven but each round in .357 magnum and .45 acp came out of that Lee Loader! After all these years, I could grab the two boxes and tap out rounds. They were good investments!

Flash

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    If I started with that I would be finished with that!

if you want to go cheap(I am Mr Cheap!)I would get a Lee anniversary kit from midsouth or Natchez or a distributor out of state from you(save the tax)and give it a whirl. It comes with everything you need to make full rounds.
    I took your advice and went to Natchez. That Lee loader kit is only $120.99 seems like a good buy. But then I get stuck in the weeds. I know there is other stuff I need, like dies. Do I need one, two or a four die kit. I also want to start with .38 as the prices are starting to rival .45acp. What about books and other doohickies that are needed? Someone asked on the site what else they needed and the answer was " the components." Huge help.

Sorry if I hijacked your trhread.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    IIRC, the only other thing you need is a die set. Get the 4 die carbide set with the factory crimp die. And a set of calipers. You can get 3 or 4 inch calipers at Lowes for I think less than $20. They work pretty well.
    Components- bullets, powder, primers and cases.
    Reloading manuals are very good to have. Loadbooks also works very well for a single caliber. Cost about $8. For about $20 dollars or so you can get the Lee manual. But I believe the kit comes with a Lee manual.
    But don't count out the Lee Loader. I have a press and dies for every caliber I shoot. I also have a Lee Loader for them. Handy little gadget for sure.

from an idgit coffeeholic

Top Bottom