Lee Safety Prime

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by country_boy, Jul 25, 2009.

1. country_boy

country_boy TGT Addict

Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    I was trying to make some 45 acp today and the lee safety prime dispenser is jamming on the wolf large pistol primers I bought!:332: It will feed to a certain point then the primer just sticks in the front. Has anyone else had this problem?? Now I have to order and wait for a shell holder for the auto primer I have:(

2. oldguy

oldguy Well-Known

Mar 6, 2008
    Never used wolf primers however if your talking of the prime system for the lee classic turret check the small screws on primer dispenser I've found these will work loose causing a jam also over time they (primer system )get dirty and need cleaned.

3. country_boy

country_boy TGT Addict

Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    What its doing is the arm is a hair too small for the primer and its hanging up. I think if I run a small file it might fix it. However it came with the classic turret press and its plastic. I think im going to buy a shell holder for my hand held prime tool and save up for this MidwayUSA - RCBS Automatic Bench Priming Tool

4. TexMex247

TexMex247 Well-Known TGT Supporter

May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I hope I don't have that problem with the auto prime hand tool. I have some of those wolf primers on order.:confused:

5. country_boy

country_boy TGT Addict

Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    well I tried to run a file on that plastic primer feeder and it works but, I really have to push hard on the front. Im waiting for that shell holder to come in. The primers dont look any different than a cci or winchester primer. They arent cupped either.

6. Hoji

Hoji Bowling-Pin Commando

May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Lee seriously suggests that you you only use CCI primers in their priming tool. I have had other reloaders tell me that there is a very good reason for this, that they have had other brand primers explode in their. If you are going to use something other than CCI , get another hand primer.

7. oldguy

oldguy Well-Known

Mar 6, 2008
    I would return it to lee I've used mine with different brands (except wolf)and no problems, the learning curve on the classic turret press primer takes some time once learned it is a fast low cost setup.

8. country_boy

country_boy TGT Addict

Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    Would it be a good idea to buy the rcbs bench priming tool?

The problem is with the large priming. The small priming disk I can use any brand and it wont jam etc.

9. oldguy

oldguy Well-Known

Mar 6, 2008
    I have a Rcb bench priming tool it is very good but not without if faults, the small primers will "jump" out sometimes if handle pressure is off slightly, again i would send the large lee primer back and try a replacement.

Another option is the lee hand primer they work but become more
    of a pain as you age.:happy0001::happy0001:

10. MadMo44Mag

MadMo44Mag TGT Addict

Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    Is it hang up in the trough that the primers feed down?
    Or is it hanging up where the trough ends and the primer sits to be inserted?
    I hope that make sense???