Gun Zone Deals

Let's get this debate started. Which is the most practical: .22lr revolver or semi-auto pistol?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tbark44

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    nowhere
    I prefer revolver , single action in a fast draw rig , i rarely miss in .53 draw within 10 feet , shooting steel competition ruger 22/45 w/ fastfire .
    ARJ Defense ad

pitboxer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2017
    houston
    A 9 shot revolver isn't a bad choice. But the ammo variety would be my only reason for that over a .22 Ruger Mk.lll. Rat/snake shot is the only thing I'd carry other than .22 long.

Leadslinger

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2010
    el paso texas
    Sorry guys i was at work. I have had more time to provid a comprehensive answer. First the title is which is more practical.

Yes I meant one can carry more ammo on body than loaded mags.

I have. Small bag approximately 4 x 5 inches that can carry 500 22lr rounds with ease. Versus mags and extra ammo which require more space and are more cumbersome.

Yes loading a revolver may be slower to reload but they are also more reliable and can shoot various types of loads. Long, shorts etc. Semi auto's are limited to longs.

Once you have expended your magazines you still have to find the time to reload mags anyway.

The revolver is not as ammo sensitive as semi auto's. Some semi auto's only shoot one particular type of ammo and still have failure to feed or eject. Not so with revolver. If a round doesn't ignite then pull the trigger again. Provided you are shooting double / single action or a lever gun.

I have various 22lr and 22 mag semi auto's and revolvers / rifles.

I have been lucky in that my ruger charger (with folding stock KAK brace) and my AA glock 22 conversion upper shoot both remington gold bullet and thunderbolt seldom having FTE or FTF. They are a joy to shoot along with my kel tec pmr 30. They are highly accurate and can put rounds down range in a hurry.

That being said my ruger lcr 22lr, taurus 94 both 8 to 9 round capacity, my NAA blackwidow 22lr/22mag and my 1970's marlin lever gun 15 round capacity do it more reliably without regard to ammo types or loads.

There is also the option of a 22lr/22mag revolver /carbine like the NAA blackwidow taurus 992 revolver and or the circuit judge 22lr/22mag. These add another aspect of practicality to the equation.

Semi autos also begin to fail once they become dirty long before a revolver or lever gun.

Not to mention the reliability differences in the mechanics of the semi auto's vs revolver / lever guns or even bolt action.

Whew .... my texting fingers are tired after that. More fodder for the discussion. Lol.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

NavyVet1959

Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2014
    Texas, ya'll
    I like .22 revolvers when I can easily remove the cylinder and then separately seat the bullets and the powder charge. But, I would probably prefer a break action or rolling block single shot over a revolver.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    22lr revolver vs. semi-auto pistol

Which do you think is the most practical choice for field use?

I'm voting revolver.
    Why?
    1.) Can use any ammo. Short, Long, Long rifle, rat shot, CB caps, etc.
    My revolver RAFFS at your single shot semi.

2.) WHERE DID MY MAG GO?!?!?!?!?! It WAS in the gun. But now it isn't.
    Can't lose a cylinder very easily.

3.) There are these things called Speed Loaders.

4.) Ok, on suppressors, we'll call it a draw.

For years I carried a Single Action, 9 shot (IIRC) Colt pistol. I wore it on my hip cowboy style. I wore it working on the ranch, walking and riding fence on horse, working around the lake and creeks. Killing rattlers and water mocs of which we have no shortage.

I could slap leather and take a snakes head off from the hip, I practiced walking cans down one of our dirt roads.

I was good and I was fast and I had to be, there was no option for failure, that or get bit.

I will guess you could do that with your semi auto?????

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    I want a Ruger bearcat 22lr.

IMG_0420.JPG

I can haz a Bearcat.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I can haz a Bearcat.
    I was going to get one just because I've always wanted one. Then I handled one at a gun show and found that it's simply too small for my hands; I couldn't grip it securely. I know it doesn't require a firm grip but it was more than that. It was so small it simply felt awkward in my hand.

Over time, I've come to regret that decision. The very issue I had with it, small size, is what would make it perfect for introducing certain newbies to handguns.

Now I want one again. I might never choose to shoot it when I'm alone but I'd like to have it as an option for students.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I was going to get one just because I've always wanted one. Then I handled one at a gun show and found that it's simply too small for my hands; I couldn't grip it securely. I know it doesn't require a firm grip but it was more than that. It was so small it simply felt awkward in my hand.

Over time, I've come to regret that decision. The very issue I had with it, small size, is what would make it perfect for introducing certain newbies to handguns.

Now I want one again. I might never choose to shoot it when I'm alone but I'd like to have it as an option for students.

The small grip is the only reason I want one. Perfect for getting a youngster started with handguns.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    oooh - if we had to bring the "only one" into the debate, I'm in full agreement.
    You, me, Rasputin, and Bob, so far (at least; there may be one or two in this thread that I've missed). I'm honored to be in such good company.

Leadslinger

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2010
    el paso texas
    I still gotta go with something that'll take a can. Because shooting with a suppressor is freaking practical as hell.
    I would really like a can but when Noone else at the range has one it seems like more money than it's worth. If I was shooting on.my own property or maybe hunting it may be worth while. until everyone has one then it holds no practicality for me.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom