• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    I said in another thread that it looks like now would be a good time to buy a lever action rifle in order to hedge my bets with the AR frenzy that is going on.

I already have a tube-fed 22 Marlin 60 that should be safe for awhile; although, it is semiauto.

And I already have a bolt-action carbine in 5.56 that I bought to hedge my bets and it should also be safe for awhile.

But I do not own a lever action.

What do you consider to be the best current production lever gun and why?

And what do you consider the best lever rifle caliber for home defense (I don't hunt)?

Thanks! Looking forward to your responses.

PS, this isn't a debate, I am just looking for information.
    ARJ Defense ad

Last edited:

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    What do you consider to be the best current production lever gun and why?

Marlin 1894.
    Readily available and a solid performer.
    Action is strong and can handle hotter loadings than the Winchesters.

And what do you consider the best lever rifle caliber for home defense (I don't hunt)?

Many probably will not agree with me on this.
    Good old 357mag.
    The .357 in a carbine will do great for home defense duty. .357mag fired from a long gun is most certainly no pooftie ballistic wise.
    Ammo choices are all over the map. Light .38's up to nuke'um from orbit monkey death car magnums.
    You'll definitely get more use out of it than a larger centerfire like a .30-30.
    You can plink with milktoast level .38Specials all day long. Keep some firebreathing magnums in it for HD use.
    And there is the benfit of pairing it with a nice handgun.

I do not own a lever action.

You automatically get your Man Card when you buy your lever action.

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    While I agree with @Moonpie on the 1894, I prefer the 44 Magnum version. It also pairs nicely with a Revolver, and you can run light loaded 44 special rounds, or some really hot loaded magnum rounds that make some weldors not want to shoot it anymore. It has about the same ballistics as a 30-30, so it makes a good hunting rifle also.

That doesn’t mean I’m not planning on getting the 357 version someday.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Marlin 1894.
    Readily available and a solid performer.
    Action is strong and can handle hotter loadings than the Winchesters.

Many probably will not agree with me on this.
    Good old 357mag.
    The .357 in a carbine will do great for home defense duty. .357mag fired from a long gun is most certainly no pooftie ballistic wise.
    Ammo choices are all over the map. Light .38's up to nuke'um from orbit monkey death car magnums.
    You'll definitely get more use out of it than a larger centerfire like a .30-30.
    You can plink with milktoast level .38Specials all day long. Keep some firebreathing magnums in it for HD use.
    And there is the benfit of pairing it with a nice handgun.

You automatically get your Man Card when you buy your lever action.
    Lever action in .357 or 44 mag is a GO TO and CANNOT GO WRONG!

We do need to get this off Youtube, the Libtards will see it and classify it as an ASSUALT Rifle...

Pops1955

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    I have a Marlin 1894 in .38 / .357. Love it. Have to agree with Moonpie. Great HD gun.
    I have and 1895 Marlin Trapper in 45-70. Great for Hogs, Grizz and anything else you really hate.
    Also have a Marlin 336W for deer, etc.
    I love lever guns.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    If you go with a handgun cartridge, use a bullet that is designed for the higher velocity resulting from a carbine length barrel.
    I did a bunch of testing a while back with .357 magnum from a Rossi '92 lever action. Those hollow points designed for 1300 fps become varmint bullets at 1800 fps. No penetration, just fragments.

ETA, found thread.
    https://www.texasguntalk.com/threads/bullets-for-357-magnum-rifle.64897/page-4

Last edited:

Bambulance Man

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 11, 2012
    Texas, Fate
    I’m halfway saved up for the new Henry side gate loader in 30-30. You can’t go wrong with a classic cartridge like 30-30. And that side gate loader is beautiful.

40eb9b5f363398c8e0beee692b36fdae.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Attachments

• 40eb9b5f363398c8e0beee692b36fdae.jpg
      40eb9b5f363398c8e0beee692b36fdae.jpg
      26.8 KB · Views: 245

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    In levers, Winchester is the name to beat. It's not that they make the best, it's just that it's the brand most identified with lever action rifles and so it commands the highest resale prices. Marlin makes a very good lever, as does Browning. The Henry is also a terrific rifle, and it's all made in America, and they have several different models to fit fashion (beautiful brass) or function (flat black for hunting). If you find an old Savage 99, those are terrific rifles and a bit unique in that they use a rotary magazine. In a used Winchester, you really, really want a pre-1964 rifle. After that, they changed to cheap parts and design to try to lower the price, and the rifles aren't as nice - and also not nearly as pricy.

One thing to look for is how the rifle ejects. If it ejects out the top, that makes it hard to mount a scope. (That is, if you want to mount a scope.)

As for caliber, pistol calibers are fun to plink and shoot small game. Rimfires are also fun for that. If you want to hunt larger animals, then I highly recommend the venerable .30-30. It's the oldest smokeless cartridge, and it has probably dropped more legitimate deer than all other calibers combined. (The .22 has dropped the most deer, as that's the midnight poacher's choice.) The 30-30 is easy to shoot, does a great job out to at least 150 yards, and is not expensive. If you decide to reload, Hodgdon has a powder called Leverevolution that is specifically made for lever action rifles and will give you absolute maximum velocity without high pressure. Varget and several other powders work really well also. Stick with round-nosed bullets for safety's sake, unless you are using a Savage 99. (Yes, I'm fully aware that someone will swear there's no safety problem with pointed bullets in a tubular magazine. I'm not willing to take that chance, so I will stick to - and recommend - round noses. Besides, within 30-30 range, you don't need spitzers.) Avoid the sabot rounds that may still be lurking out there. Everyone jumped on that bandwagon in the 1980's and nobody found them to be any better than regular bullets. Likewise, don't go too crazy on larger calibers. It's a light rifle by design and recoil can be brutal. Stick with the range of calibers it was designed for.

Someone mentioned that he had a post-64 rifle and it was "good enough". There ARE things that a good gunsmith (or even a patient amateur) can do with a lever action rifle to make it work more smoothly. Check out YouTube for videos of some of the cowboy action shooters. Those lever rifles are super smooth!! A little polishing here and there can change a rifle from mediocre to fantastic in pretty short order.

Lastly, don't buy a lever action rifle just because you're scared the bullies in Washington are going to confiscate your semiautomatics. Buy one because it's lightweight, reliable, and fun to shoot.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    In levers, Winchester is the name to beat. It's not that they make the best, it's just that it's the brand most identified with lever action rifles and so it commands the highest resale prices. Marlin makes a very good lever, as does Browning. The Henry is also a terrific rifle, and it's all made in America, and they have several different models to fit fashion (beautiful brass) or function (flat black for hunting). If you find an old Savage 99, those are terrific rifles and a bit unique in that they use a rotary magazine. In a used Winchester, you really, really want a pre-1964 rifle. After that, they changed to cheap parts and design to try to lower the price, and the rifles aren't as nice - and also not nearly as pricy.

One thing to look for is how the rifle ejects. If it ejects out the top, that makes it hard to mount a scope. (That is, if you want to mount a scope.)

As for caliber, pistol calibers are fun to plink and shoot small game. Rimfires are also fun for that. If you want to hunt larger animals, then I highly recommend the venerable .30-30. It's the oldest smokeless cartridge, and it has probably dropped more legitimate deer than all other calibers combined. (The .22 has dropped the most deer, as that's the midnight poacher's choice.) The 30-30 is easy to shoot, does a great job out to at least 150 yards, and is not expensive. If you decide to reload, Hodgdon has a powder called Leverevolution that is specifically made for lever action rifles and will give you absolute maximum velocity without high pressure. Varget and several other powders work really well also. Stick with round-nosed bullets for safety's sake, unless you are using a Savage 99. (Yes, I'm fully aware that someone will swear there's no safety problem with pointed bullets in a tubular magazine. I'm not willing to take that chance, so I will stick to - and recommend - round noses. Besides, within 30-30 range, you don't need spitzers.) Avoid the sabot rounds that may still be lurking out there. Everyone jumped on that bandwagon in the 1980's and nobody found them to be any better than regular bullets. Likewise, don't go too crazy on larger calibers. It's a light rifle by design and recoil can be brutal. Stick with the range of calibers it was designed for.

Someone mentioned that he had a post-64 rifle and it was "good enough". There ARE things that a good gunsmith (or even a patient amateur) can do with a lever action rifle to make it work more smoothly. Check out YouTube for videos of some of the cowboy action shooters. Those lever rifles are super smooth!! A little polishing here and there can change a rifle from mediocre to fantastic in pretty short order.

Lastly, don't buy a lever action rifle just because you're scared the bullies in Washington are going to confiscate your semiautomatics. Buy one because it's lightweight, reliable, and fun to shoot.
    You are aware that the leverevolution powder is for loading leverevolution ammo, right?
    60F7AA24-EDEB-409A-A631-8EA35505F5FA.jpeg
    pointy flex tip rounds are perfectly safe and seriously extend the flat shooting range of the 30-30

Attachments

• 60F7AA24-EDEB-409A-A631-8EA35505F5FA.jpeg
      60F7AA24-EDEB-409A-A631-8EA35505F5FA.jpeg
      77.2 KB · Views: 356

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I like the Henry or Winchester over Marlin, not that Marlin is bad. 30-30, may not be the cheapest round, but nothing says lever action like 30-30.

Top Bottom