• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • txgolfer45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2009
    Dallas
    I'll be moving soon and need to get a safe for my new place. Been looking at the Liberty Fatboy or the Champion Trophy safes. Most likely something like 60x42x32 in the Fatboy or 60x43x28 in the Champion.

Any personal experiences with either of these?

Also considering either garage or home office/study location. Of course going to bolt to the foundation.

Thanks
    Target Sports

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Have had nothing but great experience with Liberty safes.

Why would you put your most valuable possessions in the garage? If this is a " my wife says" issue.........

Last edited by a moderator:

XinTX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    South of Houston
    Looked at both and ended up with the Liberty. Don't recall the Champion model I was considering, but the Liberty is comparable in terms of protection. But the dealer was running a special on Fat Boys, plus Liberty had a factory rebate on top of that. I paid a minimal upcharge to swap our the lock to a mechanical as I don't like or trust the electronic locks. There are some higher end electronic locks that I understand are far more reliable, but those aren't standard on safes in this price range. But I didn't want to have one more thing around that I had to keep batteries around for.

And I'll second the "don't mount it in the garage" bit. Both safes have an outlet inside so you can plug in a dehumidifier. But with the temperature swings inside a garage (unless it's air conditioned, which few are) you'll get condensation in there. It will overwhelm most dehumidifiers. Something like a Golden Rod wouldn't even stand a chance. Not to mention potential visibility from the street whenever you have your garage door open.

Texan-in-Training

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Rockdale, Texas
    . I paid a minimal upcharge to swap our the lock to a mechanical as I don't like or trust the electronic locks.

I swapped out the electronic lock on my Liberty (did it myself, S & G 6730-100 Safe Lock Kit from Amazon for $ 78).
    Having spent my career in electronics, I learned that it's not "if it's going to fail but when it's going to fail". Usually when you need it the most.
    Plus side to the swap was finding out that the internal part of the electronic lock was missing two screws and a third backed-out half way (out of four screws). Giving Liberty the benefit of the doubt, I'm the second owner of the safe and it has quite a few rough miles on it from traveling... including a bit over a thousand, riding on it's back.

txgolfer45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2009
    Dallas
    I am selling my current safe to the people buying my house. It is a Champion Trophy 35. I may just get the same thing for the new house. While I would move it to the new house, the logistics suck. Selling my house one day and moving maybe 9 days later to the new house. So, don't want to move the safe twice.

BTW, I will be putting it in the "study".

txgolfer45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2009
    Dallas
    Champion Trophy is solid!! I have one and am very pleased with it. Gives you the warm and fuzzy feelin.

My dealer has the Superior Regal 35 in stock. It has external hinges instead of the internal on the Champion. I'll be getting the Superior safe after I make the move to the new house.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I have a Fatboy 64, and it is a good deal for what I paid for it.
    I am currently looking for another as I already don't have room for several rifles.
    My next one will be better quality.

ETA: pay attention to the thickness of the steel on the sides.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Last edited:
    Top Bottom