• Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2009
    Houston
    Re: Lifting Suplements

My daily supplements consist of:
    Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold Standard Protein
    BSN Cellmass (creatine blend)
    BSN NO Xplode (caffeine/nitric oxide/creatine blend)

in addition to other vitamins and minerals:
    Multi-vitamin
    Cosamin-DS (glucosamine)
    Co-Q 10
    Fish Oil
    Psyllium (digestive health)
    Guns International

drummingchevy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2009
    Houston
    Creatine seems to be the best thing that doesn't also funky ingredients. Personally, I can't handle Muscle Milk. Makes me really gassy and gives me diarrhea. OTOH, I have developed preference towards Dymatize products. I use their creatine, Elite Casein, ISO-100 whey, and Elite Mass. But, of course, I use that stuff to supplement a healthy high-protein diet. The Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Casein is great, too. The chocolate flavor tastes like raw cake batter.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    True Protein allows you to custom build your own supplements which really lets you get what you want.

Animal proteins (whey, egg, casein, etc.) are simply the best for your system, they contain all the necessary building blocks for muscle mass, but there are other supplements for increasing your ability to work out or recover (the list is endless). Frankly, if you stick to a regimen and you train properly, that counts far more than supplementing your body.

My philosophy is simply this ... protein before, water / basic glucose or fructose immediately after / during, and protein after. You don't want to slam down 200 grams of protein once a day as that can damage your body and is not consumed or tolerated well. It's best to fuel the machine in smaller packages throughout the day.

I find that it's easier to supplement through diet rather than shakes for protein. The shakes kill my desire to eat and I would find myself forcing down dinner for the sake of eating rather than being actually hungry. Then there's the gas, bloat, etc. that some people get (fortunately I don't).

We used to do alot of this stuff for baseball, but I haven't been in the game for a good number of years.

ArielT

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2011
    Austin, TX
    My philosophy is simply this ... protein before, water / basic glucose or fructose immediately after / during, and protein after. You don't want to slam down 200 grams of protein once a day as that can damage your body and is not consumed or tolerated well. It's best to fuel the machine in smaller packages throughout the day.
    You're opposed to eating once a day like in the warrior diet, then?

SWJewellTN

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    LaVergne,TN
    Re: Lifting Suplements

Good information with an exception. Other than drinking lots of water, I'm of the opinion that every male over 25 should take a multi-vitamin (cheap drug store ones are ok) and creatine. Do some reasearch on creatine, it's good stuff.
    I disagree. Many of the cheap ones do not contain the amounts that they advertise and also do not break down in the stomach acids. Only their dye coating absorbs causing the urine to change color and make you think it's doing its job. I used to tell my patients that One-A-Day goes in once a day and out once a day unchanged. Test your vitamins by placing one in a small amount of vinegar. If it doesn't break down in 20 minutes in the vinegar it won't break down in the stomach. If it doesn't break down in your stomach you are not absorbing the vitamins and minerals.

SWJewellTN

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    LaVergne,TN
    Interesting comment on non dissolving vitamins; do you have any brand recommendations?
    When I was practicing I used a physician's grade supplements from a pharmaceutical laboratory that I've long forgotten the name of because I've been out of practice for 11 years now: however, today there are gel-capsules and liquid brands in the stores that are little-to-no problem with absorption. You still have to worry about them actually containing what they say they contain. There was an investigative story done not more than a year ago showing many brands not matching their labels. A web search shows many advertising physician's grade supplements, but I'd check for certifications before ordering.

ArielT

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2011
    Austin, TX
    When I was practicing I used a physician's grade supplements from a pharmaceutical laboratory that I've long forgotten the name of because I've been out of practice for 11 years now: however, today there are gel-capsules and liquid brands in the stores that are little-to-no problem with absorption. You still have to worry about them actually containing what they say they contain. There was an investigative story done not more than a year ago showing many brands not matching their labels. A web search shows many advertising physician's grade supplements, but I'd check for certifications before ordering.
    Super helpful

Willy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2009
    Ellis County
    Liquid vitamins are the stuff. They absorb into your body quickly and almost completely. Taste terrible though.

I found my strength increasing when using creatine, but I got to where I couldn't handle the heat like I used to. I don't know if it was affecting my BP or what. It improved when I got off of it. That was 10 years ago. Creatine may be a whole new and improved product now.

I've recently started to get back into lifting and I need to drop about 30 lbs. Not to hijack the thread, but I want to maintain or improve strength and lose weight. Any good ideas or sources of info for a training plan/ supplement plan. It has to be low impact because of a knee injury. (No ACL) I'm leaning toward amino acids and vitamins and lowering the calorie intake, but I will need to ask around. I'm behind the times on sports nutrition.

ASCO12

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    Belton
    No matter what, your diet/nutrition choices are always the most important. Without the proper "fuel" in your body your workouts are going to waste. Also if you do not take in some sort of protein/carb intake within 45 minutes of post workout then again your workout was just ruined. All of these pre-workout drinks are just loaded up with caffine and you can get the same effect by drinking a cup of black coffee or a sugar free energy drink.

Again, you can never stress enough about the diet. If you want to put on weight then you have to significantly increase your carb and protein intake...mind you those need to be healthy carbs. If you are attmepting to lose weight then you still want the healthy balanced diet without the massive amounts of calories per day.

I could keep going, but im tired of typing.

The best advice from above is don't listen to anyone at GNC or Vitamin World...they are SALES associates!

gas-man

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Austin
    Well said ASC012. Eating clean is the hardest part for me. I hit the gym 6 or 7 days. I use the following with a not so clean eating habit..

1 MR at 400 am then off to the gym
    Intek protein powder
    one a day vitamin
    Omega fish oil
    glutamine
    glucosamine
    kre-alkaline

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I was just wondering what lifting supplements people use. I have seen decent results with cheap creatine but im almost out and looking for something better for me.

This is a cool section!

I use a Bobcat skid steer. Lift a ton at a time and don't break a sweat.

tsmith

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    TX
    Nothing else has the bang for the buck that inexpensive creatine does. If you're one of the fortunate guys for whom it works well, I would stick to just that until either you plateau and feel like you must progress further or until you have some extra money burning a hole in your pocket.

Top Bottom