• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rapt'r223

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2020
    Waxahachie, Tx
    I've been carrying my shield plus for a bit now. I just got a 4" shield plus PC with a red dot. So I'm in the market for a holster. What I'm also contemplating is if I want to put a light on it as well.

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    I've been carrying my shield plus for a bit now. I just got a 4" shield plus PC with a red dot. So I'm in the market for a holster. What I'm also contemplating is if I want to put a light on it as well.
    Give the guys linked below a call. They did a holster for me a while back and am quite pleased. Your preferred firearm is not listed, yet, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

https://rrtholsters.com/2020/product/type-i-holster/

BeatTheTunaUp

Fux with the best, Die like the rest
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Temple TX
    I agree. A carry gun should stay trimmed and easy to conceal. The more things on it means weight and bulk. Both are reasons it won't get carried 100% like it should.

caliburn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 4, 2022
    Houston
    I figure people with lights and optics for carry guns are carrying outside the waistband. I've seen some YouTube channels showing off "EDC" full sized handguns with optics and lights for IWB... It doesn't work for me, but I suppose with the right body type and clothing it might work for others.

Rapt'r223

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2020
    Waxahachie, Tx
    I figure people with lights and optics for carry guns are carrying outside the waistband. I've seen some YouTube channels showing off "EDC" full sized handguns with optics and lights for IWB... It doesn't work for me, but I suppose with the right body type and clothing it might work for others.
    I'm kind of experimenting. Right now my go to is my shield plus(original barrel length) with night sights in AIWB closer to a belly carry though. It just about dissappears there. My glock 45 prints badly. I may get an owb for it as my winter carry. Well unless I like the 4" shield better.

caliburn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 4, 2022
    Houston
    I'm kind of experimenting. Right now my go to is my shield plus(original barrel length) with night sights in AIWB closer to a belly carry though. It just about dissappears there. My glock 45 prints badly. I may get an owb for it as my winter carry. Well unless I like the 4" shield better.
    Experimenting is good and having the tools to experiment with is important. I find hot weather AIWB usually ends up having the thinnest gun with the least trinkets on it as being most comfortable. For AIWB I had found leather holsters more comfortable than kydex. the light for the shield is pretty small though, so you should still be able to have that in an inside waistband holster without much issue.

For OWB carry, I tend to perfer holsters with retention, like Safariland vs leather or non retention holsters, but mainly that was a habit picked up from work.

shipwreck

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Beretta City,Texas
    I love the Shield Plus, and I made my 4" one the main carry gun I use. It shoots amazing.

And, I never really cared for lights on handguns, as the weight always affected the balance of the gun IMHO. However, the TLR6 is so light. I took a chance and put one on my standard 3.1" Shield Plus (with night sights) - and it is my night stand gun.

Honestly, I can't even tell This TLR6 is on the gun, it is so light. So, that part is great.

There are not many options for the Shield Plus, as there is no rail on the gun. This is the best one.

I also bought just the LED model TLR6. It's not much more money for the laser option with the light, but I did not want a laser on it.

Just realize that the mount does take away a portion of the trigger guard space. When I first got the light, I wasn't sure if I was going to keep it. Getting your trigger finger back into the trigger guard is a little different when you lose that space.

Now, with some practice, it works out fine. And, mine is my night stand gun.

That being said - I don't think I'd put it on a carry gun. A night stand gun would have more time to get into action. Hurriedly grabbing a gun from a concealment holster and getting that trigger finger on the trigger... I think it will be a tiny, tiny bit slower to get into action, as putting the finger into the trigger guard with less space is not quite as intuitive.... At least not for me - a guy shooting for over 30 years.

I like the light, but I wish it didn't carve out so much space around the trigger guard. It may not look like much in photos. But you will see what I am talking about if you get one.

0vBk4HE.jpg

n3UHRr3.jpg

Last edited:

Rapt'r223

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2020
    Waxahachie, Tx
    I love the Shield Plus, and I made my 4" one the main carry gun I use. It shoots amazing.

And, I never really cared for lights on handguns, as the weight always affected the balance of the gun IMHO. However, the TLR6 is so light. I took a chance and put one on my standard 3.1" Shield Plus (with night sights) - and it is my night stand gun.

Honestly, I can't even tell This TLR6 is on the gun, it is so light. So, that part is great.

There are not many options for the Shield Plus, as there is no rail on the gun. This is the best one.

I also bought just the LED model TLR6. It's not much more money for the laser option with the light, but I did not want a laser on it.

Just realize that the mount does take away a portion of the trigger guard space. When I first got the light, I wasn't sure if I was going to keep it. Getting your trigger finger back into the trigger guard is a little different when you lose that space.

Now, with some practice, it works out fine. And, mine is my night stand gun.

That being said - I don't think I'd put it on a carry gun. A night stand gun would have more time to get into action. Hurriedly grabbing a gun from a concealment holster and getting that trigger finger on the trigger... I think it will be a tiny, tiny bit slower to get into action, as putting the finger into the trigger guard with less space is not quite as intuitive.... At least not for me - a guy shooting for over 30 years.

I like the light, but I wish it didn't carve out so much space around the trigger guard. It may not look like much in photos. But you will see what I am talking about if you get one.

0vBk4HE.jpg

n3UHRr3.jpg
    Yah I can see how the light does reduce the Space. I have my Fudd gun, FN FNX-45 Tactical with a TRL-1HL as my nightstand gun. I figure 15 rounds of .45 ACP will help keep me safe! I like the idea of seeing how it feels and the deciding.

Top Bottom