• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Does anyone have a list of places that offer the CHL courses (both initial and refresher) in San Antonio? I know of several, but was looking for more of a complete list when folks ask about it.

Thanks! M2
    DK Firearms

San Antone RR

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    San Antonio
    Check with the Bullethole on Grossenbacher. I have never had any complaints. I took my initial course there in 95 or 96 and have taken refreshers there as well. Great staff, in my opinion.

Adionik

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    san antonio
    I went to the Bullet Hole.

I know you already hate that place, so it's probably not even worth mentioning, but I recommend NOBODY go here. The class itself was okay, instructor was good, but the staff at the bullethole when I had a problem with my packet was the sorriest, laziest, unwilling to help group of people i've ever talked to. So, pray that your packet is 100% correct or grab your ankles in hopes of anyone at the bullethole giving a shit to fix the problem!

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Yeah, my distaste of the Bullethole is becoming widely known; but even back in 2006 when I went through the CHL course there it was useless. The instruction was minimal at best, contained numerous errors which I pointed out (I studied the DPS Concealed Handgun Laws book before going, and highly recommend everyone doing the same!), and the way the exam was proctored was a joke. Honestly, if someone can't pass the course by studying the aforementioned book and sitting through the class, they really shouldn't be carrying!

I know several CHL instructors now, so there are better options...but the bottom line is I won't set foot at the Bullethole again!

Adionik

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    san antonio
    There were several people at the Bullethole class alongside me that SHOULD NOT have got a CHL. A few of them even seemed mentally unstable, not to mention one of the jackasses that shot MY target at the shooting portion! Ridiculous! I'm horrified to know that those people will be carrying alongside me. Perhaps I should invest in a level IIIA vest.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Felt the same way when I took the course there...I think the place is a magnet for people who really shouldn't be handling firearms!

target4fun

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2008
    San Antonio
    I teach NRA Instructors all over the country, and also teach CHL courses once a month in San Antonio. Needless to say I have used many different ranges and I wont take any of my CHL students there even to do the range portion due to their lack of safety.

DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio
    I took my original and first renewal at Texas Concealed Handgun. The gentleman, Sammy Miller, who teaches the class appears to be very knowledgeable and puts on an interesting class. He also has a guest speaker teach a part of the class. At my first class I believe the guest speaker was a judge and at my renewal it was a Bexar County ADA. The class includes Photos, Finger Printing, Notary and any help you need with the paper work. Once I was finished with the class all I had to do was drop it off at the Post Office.

jcrntx

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 21, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    I have to agree with the majority of the previous posts. I took my initial CHL class at the Bullethole 12/08. Did not study up like majormadmax but wasn't too concerned as we had a day long class to learn what we needed. The class content was almost non existent. Watched a couple videos about how to carry concealed (where to put your holster). Talked about the 30.06 notice. Just wasn't very substantial. Needless to say, passed the test (so maybe what needed to be covered was) and got my CHL, but have gone back now and studied and done more self educating. I would not recommend it as a CHL training site.

BillyB

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2010
    Helotes, TX
    I took my original and first renewal at Texas Concealed Handgun. The gentleman, Sammy Miller, who teaches the class appears to be very knowledgeable and puts on an interesting class. He also has a guest speaker teach a part of the class. At my first class I believe the guest speaker was a judge and at my renewal it was a Bexar County ADA. The class includes Photos, Finger Printing, Notary and any help you need with the paper work. Once I was finished with the class all I had to do was drop it off at the Post Office.

I took my class with them last month and was very pleased. Really felt like I got something out of the classroom instruction and all I had to do on the Monday morning after the class was put a check in the envelope and send it off to Austin for processing.

Tapup

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2011
    San Antonio
    Tactical Safety Institute offers the Concealed Handgun Course in San Antonio, Texas. If you want some top-notch training these guys are it. Both instructors have years of experience they bring to the table. I attended their class a few months ago w/ nothing but positive things to say about it. From start to finish, these guys were impressive, exceeding my expectations for a 10hr course. I highly recommend anyone considering on getting a CHL to take these guys. I believe their cost for the course is the cheapest in San Antonio. Visit thier website at www.tac-safe.com

wiredgeorge

Older than I was yesterday!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2010
    Mico TX
    If you want to have a pleasant day with a good instructor, call the Bandera Gun Club. If you are a vet, take a copy of your DD214 and you will receive a large discount. If you take the CHL course, you also get a year's membership at the range. Part of the day is spent going around Bandera taking care of various course-related stuff; passport pics are taken at the photo studio on main street, fingerprints used to be taken at the county sheriffs office/jail on 173 just outside of town (something else must be done now as rules have changed), you get your packet notorized at the bank next to the OST for free; etc. The instructor and boss at the range is JM and he makes the class both fun and interesting and makes sure you have what you need to carry concealed. They do the class at least once a month; maybe more and refresher classes as well. A day in Bandera would be a fun adventure for most of you city boys and girls (lots of ladies take the class there). The range is very family oriented and members are into IDPA & skeet/trap shooting competition.

Vet63

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2011
    San Antonio
    Just completed my CHL renewal with Tactical Safety Insititue (www.tac-safe.com) based on a referral from a work associate and all I can say is WOW. Start to finish these guys were professional and extremely competent. Heck, I never knew just how "lacking" my inititial class was (wont mention well-known provider) until I attended this class. Outstanding course content and slides, riveting videos that definetly get the point accross, very nice facility, and some solid examples coming from instructors who have been there and done that! Lots of discussion to ensure everyone was well aware and educated on the laws.

And to top it off, these guys are affordable. They had several military folks in the class and their cost was $49 bucks! Class cost included everything but fingerprinting, which you can get for $10. I even signed my wife up for their Pepper Spray training. I can't recommend these guys enough and they have frequent classes to choose from!

Bald Eagle

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 30, 2011
    San Antonio
    I just took the CHL training at Lonestar Handgun. Very professionally done. One advantage is that they do the pictures and fingerprints on site, although you still have to pay for the fingerprinting online ahead of time. They also gave everyone a "Cool Guy" photo standing next his/her qualification target.

Top Bottom