• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • supercoop03

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    waco tx
    I have a few fulll size guns, one being my everyday carry gun. I am considering a small gun for ocasions when I have to wear slacks and a tucked in shirt. I am looking at the Ruger LCP, SIG P238, Taurus 738. I would be interested in info from anyone who has shot any of these, pros cons, thanks.
    Lynx Defense

iratollah

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2008
    They are all handfuls and .380 ammo is more rare than an honest politician. None are good range guns. You shoot 20 - 30 rounds and you're ready to try something else.

The LCP has been very reliable after putting a few hundered rounds through it and hand cycling it a couple of hundred times. Trigger is very long and heavy. With the CT laser it's very accurate, but it's hard to keep the laser button held down between shots. I like the recessed mag release. You will get LCP finger on your trigger finger after a few dozen shots.

The SIG has a terrific trigger but I just don't like the idea of cocked and locked carry in a pocket pistol, or any pistol for that matter which is why I gave up my 1911s. It's very light so as you'd expect, it's a handful.

Haven't shot the Taurus.

texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    The Sig P238 is an amazing newage gun after Colt left the gap with a production stop on their Mustang... It isn't as much of a handful as some people would lead you to believe... Although this could be biased because I have smaller hands... Yes .380 ACP is hard to fin but it still has a place in the self defense world in these pistols because they make carrying in certain situations feasible when at other times they might not be... I don't know about the LCP... I've felt one and I will probably pick one up but I definitely love the P238 and will probably add a couple more to my collection...

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    Are any of these pocket guns available in 9mm? I can't think of one and don't understand why they don't offer it.

You didn't mention the Kel-tec, but it shoots the same as Iratollah said of the others. It's not really unpleasant, but at the same time, it's not something you'll enjoy shooting a hundred rounds through.

texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    Are any of these pocket guns available in 9mm? I can't think of one and don't understand why they don't offer it.

You didn't mention the Kel-tec, but it shoots the same as Iratollah said of the others. It's not really unpleasant, but at the same time, it's not something you'll enjoy shooting a hundred rounds through.

The PF-9 by KelTec is a minimal slimline 9mm...

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    huh, I've not seen that tarus 9mm. I generally don't like their auto's, but if that is a good size.

I like my little kel tec. I'd prefer the Ruger LCP just because of the better finish. I've gotten 380 auto on a couple of occasions, but still pretty rare. That should start to go away. I am seeing all kinds of ammo being avalable at walmart. 380 auto should follow.

jsbcats

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Kingwood
    I have the Bersa Thunder 380 and they also now make a 9mm. I've really enjoyed it and never had any problems. I like shooting it much more than a LCP.

texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    Short of their revolvers I'm pretty much going to stay away from their semi's for awhile as well because of my bad experience with their PT111... That thing was a terrible shot... Almost as bad as a spray and pray

Seabear1500

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Corpus Christi
    I carry an LCP daily even when I carry something larger. The LCP can be mastered with practice, and only the Kel-Tec P3AT is as easy to carry in a pocket. I have owned both, and kept the LCP only because of the slide lock, which seldom gets used. They are both handy little tools that do what they are made for.

DirtyD

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2008
    Spring
    I am surprised that more people dont carry the Kahr PM series, or at least look at it.... 9mm, .40 or .45 in a package not much bigger than an LCP. I went through an LCP, LCR and finally settled on the Kahr. It is small enough to be a pocket gun, but still packs a little more punch....

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    I am surprised that more people dont carry the Kahr PM series, or at least look at it.... 9mm, .40 or .45 in a package not much bigger than an LCP. I went through an LCP, LCR and finally settled on the Kahr. It is small enough to be a pocket gun, but still packs a little more punch....

I'd like to get a PM9, but I think they are a tad big to be a "real" pocket gun. (I don't consider the bersa to be a pocket gun either) Though I think it would be a great IWB carry gun.

They also run about twice as much as the others.

Seabear1500

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Corpus Christi

I wouldn't mind having one, but too many guns are on my list. Too many choices. I have a PT111 and a PT145 which have both earned the right to be carried, just not in my pocket. Heck, my LCP even hid in my tuxedo at my daughters wedding last month.

DirtyD

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2008
    Spring
    Not to argue, maybe I am just a bit larger, but my PM9 has accompanied me in dress uniform numerous times and regularly rides in the pockey of my cargo shorts. As for price, I picked mine up used for about 450...

mjohnson6565

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    I have both a PM9 and P238. The 238 is slightly smaller and lighter. Both have very good sights for pocket pistols. The PM9 is 9mm so it's cheaper and easier to find and packs more punch. I really enjoy shooting them both but if I had to chose just one I would go with the PM9.

TrailDust

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Kalifornication
    Speaking of little guns, does anyone have experience with the Walther P22? My sister is looking for a .22 handgun and handled one of these at a recent gun show and liked it. Any comments or insight I can pass along to her? Thanks.

DirtyD

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2008
    Spring
    I have a P22 with thousands of rounds through it, great little gun and not too picky on ammo, just keep it clean.

texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    Just bought a new IWB holster for my Colt Mustang and have re-established my love of this gun... It got lots of personal time this morning in a very, very, very detail cleaning...

Top Bottom