• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AusTex

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    For those of you that met me at the lone star shoot I brought out a .223 bull BBL and a .308 win Fn SPR. Well I went and did some shooting! I have a few pictures and such and I wanted to give a report because obviously these guns operate well beyond 100 yards and lone star was limited to that distance.

Started out with the .223 with 69grn HPBT Hrndy set to where they just and I mean just fit in the magazine (my .223 is semi auto dpms custom build with er shaw bbl 1/8 twist - 2 stange rra - magpul prs) light crimp. This was with 24.5 grns Varget pwdr and CCI 400 primers. LLC Brass. (this combo makes for a hot load)

Zeroed this gun in at 100 yards with the 69's and went to work. We were shooting at a Silhouette target at 500 yards. We were lucky this day and there was only a lite amount of wind from left to right (full value 5mph) Anyway these bullets performed awesome and I shot one low and left, then I corrected for wind and came up a few moa and was on target. With the .223 I made the majority of hits in the upper left shoulder. I shot a clip of 9 in rapid fire(a bullet per second or less) and made 8 out of 9 shots.

I then switched over to .308. I was shooting hand loaded 168grn sierra hpbt rounds. 44.5 grns 4895 on win primers and win brass. 100 yard zero. 7 Moa up, wind was not an issue. I only shot a few of these rounds as once i found my mark i was on and just was not missing.

.223 bull & .308 FN
    PB110013.jpg

Not sure how this shot has me in focus and is also zoomed on the target area. follow the road down and as it curves left there is a tree, then you see another patch of green grass road. This is where the below target was placed. Just over 500 yards. If you squint hard you can actually see a small off colored dot here, this is the target. You cannot tell from the picture be we are shooting over a rather large valley with some 15-20 foot tree's.
    PB120017-1.jpg

Now this picture shows you a better idea of what the naked eye was seeing and more of the true range of where we were shooting.
    PB120018.jpg

PB120020.jpg

PB120021.jpg

Notice the .308 shots in the head area, .223 shots on the left shoulder and at the very bottom where it looks like i put two exact .308 rounds - one dug up the dirt the 2nd hit the bottom bar and really bent that angle iron! these were my first two shots and then I adjusted. The bottom shots seem like they would be reversed as far as the damage goes however the gold spray paint had just been sprayed on 30 mins before the shooting took place. The top bullet hits (.308) actually did deeper damage to the steel where the bottom hits were just taking that un-dried gold spray paint off the metal. Also just for reference each Welder Square is exactly 9" x 9" in size. ( this is very convenient because my nightforce has a range finding reticle and they are in 9" and 18" circles and posts)
    PB120023.jpg
    Target Sports

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    Great shooting !! You & lots of us aren't bench rest shooters and 500 yds, is a long way off....Heck, most of mine is 200 yds or less, iron sights...But have some scoped
    rifles also..

AusTex

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Thanks! The fun sure doesn't end! We usually just keep moving up that road as the day goes on and we can get back to almost 700 yards but we just straight ran out of time that day. The main reason I posted this is because I just got myself my first digital camera also! So now i can start documenting some of the stuff I do which is going to be great.

As i said before I know its no surgical work! but I do enjoy being able to make hits out to 750 within a reasonable size target.

Cuate my friend was shooting the target with a .223 open sights also. He was only hitting it probably one in 5 rounds but he was shooting monarch and was having a hard time prone b/c he only has 35 round clips.

AusTex

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Video Update. In the video I have the gun on a new sand bag system I am trying out so I just have my shoulder on the gun enough to stop it from flying back to hard. Normally the recoil of this rifle is less sever looking and feeling. Turn up the volume and you can hear the round hit the steel.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    That's pretty cool! Doesn't somebody make a little adjustable knob for the same purpose? I thought I saw a GA precision rifle in a gun mag that had one on it but I've never seen one after that.

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    Doesn't somebody make a little adjustable knob for the same purpose?

My rifle stock has one, but I find it gets in the way most of the time. It’s only really useful for shooting from a bench and I mostly shoot from a bag. I end up removing it and just using my left fist as a rear rest most of the time.

AusTex

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Yeah they do. The ball might be more stable but you don't get a cheek weld, storage bag, and ammo holder :). Just depends on your needs. I use that rifle for a long range hunter also.. So it is nice to have a few of my favorite doped out rounds on the gun at all times without them being in the chamber or magazine.. as the trigger is at about a 1lb pull.. It scares me to keep ammo in it unless im in the shooting position about to pull the trigger.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I thought I'd seen them before! LOL! I would rather have something like what you're currently using tho. It seems to me the little knob would be a PITA. But I have only used sand bags to support the butt so I guess I'm biased! LOL!

AusTex

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    I did build it. I put in my original thread the squares are 9"x9". I was wrong they are 8"x"8. So the target is H x 24" W x 16". Not a small target by any means. But Great for practice. (pretty accurate silhouette size shooting at range) Also instant Feed Back on hits. Moving the target became to hard so I cut everything you see off and built a very simple stand to get it up another foot off the ground and a folding rear stand so you can adjust the target angle. Basically just metal stakes. I will take a picture of the new target. It is probably 30lbs lighter and much more portable. We built it the first time as it was spring fed so we could shoot it at closer ranges with pistols. We built swingers though for pistols now so we only shoot that guy at 400 yards or more to prevent damage with the larger calibers.

From making targets what I have found to be most important is weight, size, portability, and being up off the ground. At 800 yards its amazing how even the smallest clump of grass or bush can completely hide your target.

I found these metal squares in a backyard under some rubble. They must be of high quality b/c they will take a xm193 at 25 yards and only penetrate maybe 1/2 way through.

I have made a handful of targets.. All out of found scrap metal. Pole swingers, hanger swingers, plate hangers, Knock downs. I have a cutter and a welder. If you have any metal id help you out if you don't have the tools. I will also take some pictures of some of the other targets I have.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I might take you up on your offer, tho I do have a welding machine and I'm not afraid to use it, lol. How thick are the squares? Too bad you don't know what they are from. I'm guessing they are probably not mild steel.

AusTex

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    My rifle stock has one, but I find it gets in the way most of the time. It’s only really useful for shooting from a bench and I mostly shoot from a bag. I end up removing it and just using my left fist as a rear rest most of the time.

I hate it when you purchase an item and you think it is going to be what you were missing and it turns out to be more of a hassle than its worth, but you paid for it so you wanna utilize it. And you don't want to admit you made a bad purchase...

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    In the magazine the guy that was shooting the test rifle was using it to pull the rifle into his shoulder in just about every pic. LOL seemed to me like the only time they used the little stand was to help prop the rifle up for the glamour shots! LOL

Top Bottom