• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    I've lived in this area 9/10's of my life. Fort Hood Texas has to be the most entertaining place in the U.S.

I literally grew up with the grown shaking from artillery. Remember Jurassic Park? The guys coffee shaking. That happens at Denny's. It's normality here. Even my dog doesn't wake up from the impact of a artillery shell tearing the county side of Texas to hells gate.

1st CAV must be in the field currently. It's a quite day. Birds singing, dogs snoring....

Then it comes in twos and threes. Deep~ KA-bOOm! The house rattles, the plates in the cabinets clack. You can almost feel the percussion.

And the dog keeps snoring as Fort Hood practices the art of blowing shit two steps back in history.
    Hurley's Gold

hellishhorses

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 15, 2013
    Eddy
    Funny thing, most of my Belton co-workers don't hear it but I do over in Southeast Temple. Especially those ~30 second ruuuuuuuummmmmmmmmmbbbbbbllllleeeeeesssss.

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    When I was at RAF Upper Heyford it was common for 4 or 5 F-111s to take off one after another (they are very loud). If you were having a conversation with somebody you would both just stop and wait. Seems like it would be awkward but you get used to it.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    When I was at RAF Upper Heyford it was common for 4 or 5 F-111s to take off one after another (they are very loud). If you were having a conversation with somebody you would both just stop and wait. Seems like it would be awkward but you get used to it.

Yep. Lived on Mt Home AFB in Idaho when they had the 'Varks there. Great planes, loved to watch them take off in full AB!

But you are right, it did stop all conversations on base! :D

Today I saw a four-ship of F-15s flying over Lackland. Even 30+ years later, I still stop and watch the cool planes fly by!

Cheers! M2

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    What you heard was not artillery, but tank gunnery.

Fort Hood has far more tanks than artillery.

You did not hear the impact of artillery rounds, but the sharp crack of a 120 mm main tank round breaking the sound barrier.

You live in a good place where the sound of freedom should be welcomed by all.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    What you heard was not artillery, but tank gunnery.

Fort Hood has far more tanks than artillery.

You did not hear the impact of artillery rounds, but the sharp crack of a 120 mm main tank round breaking the sound barrier.

You live in a good place where the sound of freedom should be welcomed by all.

I was wondering that. Man o' man....it rOcKs the ground. I live by Clear Creak gate. Which turns into Range Road. I'm guessing I'm about 5-7 miles from the impact part of the range. It still rattles the window.

They rain hell till 3am. It's pretty cool. Sounds better then thunder. Makes for a good night's sleep.

Burnt Jeep

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2014
    Woodway,TX
    I was wondering that. Man o' man....it rOcKs the ground. I live by Clear Creak gate. Which turns into Range Road. I'm guessing I'm about 5-7 miles from the impact part of the range. It still rattles the window.

They rain hell till 3am. It's pretty cool. Sounds better then thunder. Makes for a good night's sleep.

Thats them running their night tables for range qualifications. Gunnery is a week long event. But I tell you after they get off their tanks at 3 a.m., drag their feet in for some well deserved steak with powdered eggs, and enjoy a meal as a qualified tank crew. Nothing is better. Especially the young privates who are earning the right to wear tank boots after completing their first gunnery.

Smrtfasizmu

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2015
    You'll know loud when you live in a barracks approximately 200 yards from an airstrip that will sporadically run C-17s non-stop for weeks at a time (not saying it's loudest, I'm sure my buddies in Artillery would take serious issue with that. But as far as non-stop, droning loudness goes, hard to beat the globemaster doing flyovers)
    And man, do they fly those things low

Still pretty cool, though. It's amazing, no matter how far away they are, or how high up they fly, they always look massive

TXDARKHORSE361

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    I honestly miss the sound of machine gun fire in the distance. When I got back from Afghanistan we moved into base housing on Pendleton and I remember one Saturday morning about 7ish my wife shook me awake and asked frantically what's going on? I listened for a bit and heard the booms said sounds like mortars and rolled over"she replied should we be worried? Said nah just some poor bastards in the field on the weekend then went back to sleep.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    When I was a kid, and Bergstrom was an active base instead of an airport, we lived right under a well-used flight path between BAFB and the bases in San Antonio. I used to hear and see F-4 Phantoms (both RF-4C's and F-4E's) flying over on a daily basis - sometimes low enough to rattle the windows. I miss that.

rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    I grew up most of my teenage years only 15 minutes from the Fort Knox artillery range. Granted the area is too hilly to carry the noise (could sometimes very faintly hear it) but we would very often see the whole eastern half of the sky lit up for late night artillery training. Also had lots of flyovers by convoys of Chinooks and Blackhawks and occasionally C-130s. My parents still live out there, although they are thinking of coming back to Texas to start a business down here until they retire.

Last edited:

KBMiii

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2014
    San Antonio
    I grew up in Harker Heights and could hear it. It used to be the lullaby that would put me to sleep.
    When I was older, my friends and I would go mudding on the tank trails. Good times.
    And if you want noise? Try living next to an Air Force base where they have jets!

ChimeraDA

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2014
    Gatesville Tx.
    Well I've come out here from Va. Beach, and where I lived was at the end of Oceana Naval Air Station. So every night I had F18 Hornets either coming in to land or taking off headed to the ocean over my apt. Then once a year for 24-48 hrs straight they would do touch and go's on a mock up air craft carrier painted on the runway. It also seemed like they would test the newly rebuilt jet engines at about 12am on some nights.
    Everyone would say "That's the sound of freedom" and I would laugh, no that's the sound of you being the first and main target if SHTF! lol I do kinda miss the jets. Someone above talked about the Globemaster, I remember at Norfolk Naval Station on the flight line seeing the Russian Antonov 225. Now if you have ever seen a C5 Galaxy up close then you know how big the plane is, well the Antonov 225 dwarfs the C5! It was amazing to watch and hear that plane take off fully loaded!

Top Bottom