Load data for TAC-XP in 45ACP...

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by BurkGlocker, Sep 16, 2009.

1. BurkGlocker

BurkGlocker Active Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Burkburnett, TX
    Just got some Barnes TAC-XP .451" 160gr bullets to load up in .45 ACP, and I cant find any load data using Power Pistol for these bullets. I'm thinking that the 'coppers' are comprable in length as 185 gr JHP bullets, so would a starting load of 7.5grs of PP be too much?

I contacted Barnes, and they havent even thought of a load using the 160 gr bullets in the 45 ACP, even though Corbon does use it in one of their loadings, "Compact Gun Load" I think is what they call it.

Thanks ahead of time guys...

Rock on! :texas:

Brad L.

2. Bullseye Shooter

Bullseye Shooter Active Member

Apr 28, 2008
    Texas Panhandle
  3. BurkGlocker

Aug 24, 2009
    Burkburnett, TX

Yes, they are lighter, but the TAC-XP's are solid copper, meaning that the bearing surface will be longer than a conventional bullet of the same weight. The guy from Barnes said that they might be as long as a 185 grainer, but to start there, but I would like to hear from other reloaders before venturing out and blowing up my Glock. I really like my Glock, and wouldnt want it to be in pieces, even with what I think is a good starting load, just really looking for affirmation in my choice more than anything else.

I use Handloads.com for alot of my loading data, but they are skimps when it comes to Barnes reload info. The only other site that I have found that has info on the Barnes XPB (assuming that the TAC-XP's are the same or closely related bullet) utilizing Power Pistol as a propellant is LoadData.com but they require a $30 membership fee per year, and I dont see why I should spend that much money on that one piece of info when I am already loading up $40 worth of bullets. I have already checked the Barnes Reloading Manual and they dont even have Power Pistol listed for any of their loadings. I will check and see though. Just wish me luck as I venture into the unknown, for myself, and apparently for Barnes as well...

4. TxSgt1911

TxSgt1911 New Member

Sep 25, 2008
    Loaddata.com lists the max load for the 185 XPB at 8 grains of Power Pistol, at 1.230 OAL. Hope this helps.

5. BurkGlocker

Aug 24, 2009
    Burkburnett, TX
    Thanks TxSgt1911! I really do appreciate it!

Brad L.

6. Texas42

Texas42 TGT Addict

Nov 21, 2008
    Temple
    those barns bullets are expensive!!! They sure look cool though.

7. BurkGlocker

Aug 24, 2009
    Burkburnett, TX
    I actually got 40 of them for $28 and with shipping was below $35. I got a damned good deal on them.

8. BurkGlocker

Aug 24, 2009
    Burkburnett, TX
    I got the bullets in, and after a LONG week in McAllen, I finally got home to see my 'babies'... and the wife and kids... :p

I compared them to an unexpanded 230 gr Ranger T-Series bullet, and they are the same exact length. They are going to be a +P loading, so I'm going to start at 7.5 grains of PP, but I think that I can really push 'em safely with up to 8 grains.

And man, I also have to mention the GAPING maw these things have on them, and DEEP. They're going to be some nasty buggers...

Brad L.

and P.S. before you ask about the unexpanded T-Series bullet, it was also shot through 10-layers of denim and was all clogged up.

9. Texas42

Texas42 TGT Addict

Nov 21, 2008
    Temple
    Are you gonna use them for hunting or defense?

Either way, please post any testing pictures if you have any. : )

10. BurkGlocker

Aug 24, 2009
    Burkburnett, TX
    Going to use them for defense. I love the light, fast bullets, especially in a larger caliber.

But here is a pic that I took a little bit ago, and please forgive me for quality, but the camera is no longer in my possession.

[​IMG]

It absolutely blew the first two jugs apart and split the third and fourth before coming to rest on my 'denim in a box' backstop. Bullet measured in at .820" in diameter. Primer was as expected for a +P load, similar to my Winchester Ranger +P primers after shooting them. Used 7.7 grs of Power Pistol, and to tell you the truth, I think that is going to be plenty. I also used nickle-plated Win +P brass and WLP primers.

Brad L.