• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ghostscout

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 17, 2010
    Cedar Park/ North Austin
    So I'm looking to purchase a long range rifle, but I'm not dead set on any particular one. I am interested in the REM 700 VTR in .308 but not sure yet. Just seeing what kind of opinions you guys.have on any long range rifle in general. Thanks
    DK Firearms

Opulence 870

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2011
    HOUSTON
    Well the 700 series is a great rifle due to the upgrades and well rounded remington name. The question is are you wanting one for punching paper or target; or are u wanting one with stopping power for game. I am currently building a .243 for fun strictly for paper and target precision.

AusTex

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    I would start with .308 if you are new to this.. Rem 700 is a good start also. .308 is cheap enough to do a lot of shooting.. Just w/e you do start at 25 yards, sight in at 100... practice the fundamentals, work the scope, trigger pull, breathing. Then go to 150 hold center and pull the trigger, 200, etc etc.. keep up the groups fundamentals. Look up scope tracking. All these very basic things will make you a better shooter and really understand how everything works. Once you figure out the ballistics keep pushing out. Just don't go out there and guess cause you will waste a lot of money, get frustrated, and develop bad habits.

What ranges are you considering long range? And as someone else said, targets, hunting?

jcm

Designated

Senior Unobtanium Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    Killeen
    So I'm looking to purchase a long range rifle, but I'm not dead set on any particular one. I am interested in the REM 700 VTR in .308 but not sure yet. Just seeing what kind of opinions you guys.have on any long range rifle in general. Thanks

It's possible to reach that with the VTR with 175gr match ammo from what I read, (actually looked into long range platforms myself a while back) from what I remember the stock is not up to the job though and it should be professionally bedded. You'd need good rings and a good scope of course. I'm no expert just sharing what I read.

AusTex

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Ghost, sry to make assumptions but this being a mixed forum you never know. Well then you might want to go a little more advanced. You know the capability of a .308win. it is very possible, but go for the 1:10 twist if you can get it. They say there is no difference in .308 with a 20" tube or 26"(not no difference but not enough to justify it). I can tell you from my .308 shooting on multiple platforms and hand loads I prefer a little longer barrel with 1:10 twist and hot/heavy ammo. The .308 just looses a lot of umff... out at those ranges. Still mess someones day up though.

I have shot the vtr but only at 100 yards. I had a rem 700 pss, I have shot the sps, and the 20" pss model that the name is slipping my mind. All good guns but the 20" sps is lightweight and the stock feels weak to me.. Also not fully free floated. I have put up .75 groups with it but you get out there with some wind and hot ammo and I had a hard time really keeping it steady.

I prefer win 70 actions myself but there are a ton of good options out there now. I would look into 6.5 and see if you can afford to shoot it with ammo and platforms available.

Do you have access to hand loading? I have a lot of .308 loads already worked up.

If you have the time and some money I have recently been getting into 300 wsm.. Knock down power, trajectory, B.C's just go way up with the extra powder the 3wsm offers. With a heavy stock and a break you are not looking at bad recoil either. I don't have any great videos but browse my chanel on youtube and you will see some 500-800 yard shooting with .308 and 300wsm. YouTube - fn spr .308 long range **EDIT*** also watch these videos on high res.. on this .308 video you will see the bullet trace drop out of the top right corner and make impact with the target(man sized steel) then on my channel watch the .300 wsm videos at farther ranges, watch the laser beam like trace to target..

I am no expert but I have a little experience under my belt so anything you need let me know.

Thank you for your service!

Jeremy

ghostscout

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 17, 2010
    Cedar Park/ North Austin
    No worries AusTex, hopefully I didn't come across as a Dick in my reply just giving you background info. I've shot the M24(equivalent to 700) and shot 700m with it on a good day and the barret a few times but our range wasn't long enough to do it justice. Other than military weapons I don't have much experience with long range weapons. So I'm trying to get a feel for what's out there. I've heard that 300 winmag stay supersonic past the 308 but I don't know if there is any truth to it. And no I don't do hand loads, its been something I've looked into but have no idea where to start. I should for as much as I shoot.

AusTex

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    M24 and Barret are awesome in my opinion. You did not come off that way I was just kinda embarrassed. The 300 win mag will stay super way past the .308win. I shoot the .208 amax out of the 300winchester short magnum (has 300 win like performance but less recoil, less barrel burn out, and fits in a short action- and you only loose 20-40fps way worth it) but it is a 208grn bullet with a .648 ballistic coefficient. A 30 cal 175grn sierra has a bc of .505... At what I can push that round it stays supersonic to 1500 yards. The 168grn sierra hpbt (standard .308 match load) will go transonic at 800 yards or around it. That does not mean you cannot make hits though as a lot of people seem to think.. just as a bullet goes back to sub doesn't mean it flies off course in a 45 degree angle. It just starts dropping out of the sky even more(it can de-stabilize though loosing accuracy)

The reloading especially for a single caliber on a single stage press is about as easy as it gets. I asked cause it will get real expensive to shoot match quality .308, 300wsm, or 300win mag.. and you have to be rich or dedicated to go the 338 or 50 cal obviously.

Take a look at savage rifles, cz has a few good ones.. I would also watch sniper central, ar15.com rifles & shotguns for sale thread, and snipers hide for sale forums. A lot of people build up these guns and shoot them 20 rounds.. maybe not at all and realize it is not for them.. There are deals to be had on bolt actions.

Again I would start with comparing ballistics between the possible calibers you are considering 6.5, .308win, 300wsm or winmag. once you pic your caliber start looking for the rifle.

See if there are any guns in 6.5 swede if you are willing to hand load... that being said I would really start with .308win if you have no plans to hand load.

Where are you located at in Tx?

ghostscout

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 17, 2010
    Cedar Park/ North Austin
    I live in north Austin now. I wish I had the money to cut all the BS and just go buy 338 or 50, but I don't so I have to rely on my reading skills. all the help is great man, I appreciate it. And if someone showed me once on the whole reloading deal, I'd be set.

dobarker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    Sonora
    If the VTR has your taste, then by all means, but basically what your getting is a sales pitch with a muzzle brake machined into it.
    Dick's sporting goods has the 700 SPS varmints for something like 420+tax, they are the same thing as the VTR, minus the extra cost for a "tactical" scope mount (required on the VTR as opposed to standard 700's).
    The 700 SPS varmint is a great rifle and if you don't like the cheesy camo synthetic stock, you can find wood or aluminum pillar bedded for 50- sky is the limit.

I own a 700 SPS varmint that I immediately ripped the synthetic stock off of and put an older 700 Varmint special wood stock on, bedded the action and floated the barrel. Out here in Lubbock i've been using the heck out of it keeping local prairie dog populations down at an average range of 300-500 yards.

Just my .02

It's hard to go wrong with any of the 700 series. Youre headed in the right direction with good company. Just be sure that you don't get one with the "special" triggers.

AusTex

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Dobarker you wanna let me come help with that Pdog problem :)

Ghost, I have two friends working up at reds north that are great resources on is form 3/4 marines. Also I hand load everything. My reloading stuff is not all set up currently and I had to move and I am super busy for the next month in a half but I can and would like to help you out in any way. If you want to go out though with me and shoot the .223, .308, 300wsm long range I have a few setups and can get my hands on (i think) a rem 700pss and maybe the sps tactical if my pals will let me. I think they will as they were my old guns. I have been planning to get out to the 1000 yard range but I wanna go on a perfect day as I need to dope my new loads and don't want to mess with poor shooting conditions.

I have done some write ups on this site about my experiences with my rifles/loads.. I will try and get you some links as there might be some answers to some of your questions there also. Google is obviously your best bet though as there is great info floating around.. Just try and get it from people out there really using their guns also remember (as I assume you can relate to) that military needs and specifics are not always great to compare to our civilian uses. Lots of info on the net I seem to see about guns gets pushed or trashed depending on how it applies to the military and as target shooters those rules do not always apply obviously.

dobarker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    Sonora
    AusTex, anytime, i'll be heading out of Lubbock in July to go on a 3 year field tech training in Wyoming, so longer ranges are in store, and along with better pay, I may even own a Barret by the time I get back around to Texas.
    Ghostscout, you're in good hands, and on the right path. If you have any more questions, just keep asking, we'll answer as best as we can.

ghostscout

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 17, 2010
    Cedar Park/ North Austin
    AusTex, that sounds great, is like to get together sometime and do some testing and gain a bit more experience. I have my at that I occasionally go out and blast away at targets with. I use 62 and higher grain and once in a while when money is burning holes in my pockets ill buy some black hills 77gr. Most of the.ranges I go to are limited to 100m or so, but when I went to Indiana a few weeks ago, my buddy has a range set up for 1000+m. So I got.to test the AR out around 300 and was consistent hitting the silhouette. But as far as any other platforms not too much experience. But yeah we should set up a day to go out to the range

AusTex

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Dobarker.. I literally might have to take you up on it as I have been once and it was one of my favorite times spent behind my rifle.

Ghost. I have limited access to a private spot that we have just about got to 1000 yards.. Still some trees to cut. However the range in liberty hill has steel at 100 yard increments out to 1k I have been told.. Keep in touch with me after this weekend as I will have open weekend till may then.

JCM.

ghostscout

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 17, 2010
    Cedar Park/ North Austin
    Well if that's the case on the private property, ill grab my ax and hack away. Haha. I've been out to the liberty hill range a few times but it gets pretty expensive compared to other ranges but on the other hand it is really set up well. I got to toy around with some of larue's toys on the 1k range last October but nothing since. Yeah for sure ill keep in touch. Just let me know when, I'm practically free Thursday through Sunday every week.

Top Bottom