• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bumble442

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Waco
    My eyes aren't what they once were and now I am looking for a scope that I would be able to at least see the holes in a Target From a 556 Round out to at "Least 300 Yards".

I have a budget of $400 Any Suggestions on what power Scope I would be able to accomplish that with?
    Capitol Armory ad

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Gonna depend on your eyes...9x would be plenty for some people, but 15x or so will definitely get you there. In the $400 price range, I am a big fan of Burris' Fullfield II scopes. In my experience, you get a lot of bang for your buck. Bushnell and Nikon also have good quality scopes in that price range. Leupold's Mark AR series are a little more expensive, but you might want to take a look at them as well.

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Need to be over 9x for sure 16x would be minimum.

Look at the Primary Arms 4-16 for a budget minded optic.

Burris makes some nice scopes.

What reticle are you looking for?

Target turrets that you can adjust?

How far are you shooting?

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Gonna depend on your eyes...9x would be plenty for some people, but 15x or so will definitely get you there. In the $400 price range, I am a big fan of Burris' Fullfield II scopes. In my experience, you get a lot of bang for your buck. Bushnell and Nikon also have good quality scopes in that price range. Leupold's Mark AR series are a little more expensive, but you might want to take a look at them as well.

The Burris scopes are one of the best deals going. Great optics for the price and a very wide range of prices. Burris also has excellent customer service (a true no b.s. forever warranty). The Leupolds are great also but more expensive. The Nikons are coming up fast so they maybe worth looking into. Not a fan of the Bushnells. The warranty is what I'd consider very important on whatever you pick.

Bumble442

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Waco
    I have a buddy that has 1000 yard range at his place, we have put steel plates and target stands for paper targets on it we ping the plates with his AR-10 but I can't see them with my EOTech 557 W/4 dots & 3x Magnifier. I can't recall what power scope he has on his but I do know you can see your heart beat in the reticule at that range. Is that something I'm going to have to adapt too? Don't see myself shooting out past 600 with my AR-15 and really don't want to buy a spotting scope ether.

I was thinking about a Mil-Dot since that is what he has and that is what I have used in the past but only on a 3x9x40 but even with that I can't see the holes in paper with Shoot-n-see targets at 100 yards. Are there any better reticules that would be suggested?
    Thanks

pinoyinus

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2012
    Round Rock
    For that amount, I'd recommend a Nikon Buckmaster's. It's served me very well. I just bought a used 6x-18x with BDC reticle for $200 in another forum. They also have a special on the P223 line. I think the one with 3-9x magnification is selling for $199 at BassPro and it includes the nikon mounts. What I like with Nikon is their lifetime warranty.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Bump for interest.
    Anything new out there?
    OP price range of $500 fits. Not a penny over though.

OIF2

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Hill Country
    Look into the SWFA fixed 10X. Superb optics, precise adjustments, mil-dot and 30mm tube. All the power and features you need and only $300.00. I own and use a lot of expensive scopes in my day-job, and this one is impressive. A fixed 10x is simple, rugged and all the power you need. This is a good one.
    Bob

bignic83

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2014
    West of San Antone
    Need to be over 9x for sure 16x would be minimum.

Look at the Primary Arms 4-16 for a budget minded optic.

Burris makes some nice scopes.

What reticle are you looking for?

Target turrets that you can adjust?

How far are you shooting?

I have PA 4-16 FFP. Love it priced reasonable and holds zero on my .308.

kittyhawk

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    NE Houston
    Check out the Leaupold Mark AR scopes. Ive got the 3x9x40 with the fire dot and LOVE it....... They also make a 4x18x50 modle also.

They can be found in your budget.

texas skeeter

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Somewhere here nor there....
    This will get you out there. I have one and it holds zero on my .308 perfectly. Very nice scope for the $.

Millett Riflescope Illuminated Mil Dot 4-16x50 Rifle Scope - BK81001 290$ shipped

Magnification:4x-16x
    Objective:50mm
    Tube Diameter:30mm
    Weight:1.75 lbs.
    Side Focus Range:10 Yard to Infinity
    Windage:1/4 MOA elevation Adjustment
    Reticle:Illuminated Mil-Dot Bar
    Lens Shade:Standard
    Eye Relief:3.5"
    Lens Coating:Multi-coated

BK81001.JPG

Se7en62

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 24, 2015
    That Holler Up Yonder, Texas
    I run the Nikon P-223 BDC in 4-12x40 and love it. It's clear, offers great light transparency, and fits well within your budget at $249 on Amazon, which is where I bought mine. Be sure to get the Nikon P-223 mounts as well for another $35 or so. You just can't beat a Lifetime Warranty at that price point.

41WDDy2HJ8L._SX300_.jpg

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    Nothing mentioned will likely have the glass to see 223 holes in paper at 300yds, maybe a shootnsee target. For that you will need glass that is good plus decent magnification then if you are wanting to dial long shots a scope with quality internals.

Top Bottom