• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mleroyl

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 23, 2012
    Cibolo, TX
    Any ideas/ insight on how long it will take the ammo supply-chain to recover & resupply. It only took a week for A LOT of ammo to disappear. Curious to read your take.
    Capitol Armory ad

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I don't think the buying will slow down until we see what happens in January. I'm keeping my hopes up that we can hold them back but I feel like if they can't get a ban passes they will try for new taxes on ammo and firearms. Don't expect anything to change for a month or so then if things go well the shelves will start to fill up again. I think the rifle prices may get back to normal faster cause there will be a quick drop in demand(once we're out of the woods).

If things go south in January, I see the demand to stay high and prices too. Even if they come back down there's a good chance some new tax will push them right back up.

Very unstable times for gun owners.

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    I am sure that every seaworthy ship is loading up at Russian ports to bring more ammo to the US. They have enough reserve to bankrupt our desire to buy ammo...

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    I am sure that every seaworthy ship is loading up at Russian ports to bring more ammo to the US. They have enough reserve to bankrupt our desire to buy ammo... There will be more Tulammo than anyone has ever seen.

First the ammo is sold out, next comes the primer shortage.

mleroyl

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 23, 2012
    Cibolo, TX
    The "uncertainty" arguement resonates with me as the primary driving factor. [Rifle rounds (other than .223/5.56) seem to still be readily avaialble.]
    We've all seen the "how much is too much ammo" discussions. Three weeks ago a couple 1,000 per caliber may have done it for most folks.
    Now? Not so much.
    I believe most of us have a least considered a worst case scenario in which our caliber is "unavailable" or "backordered" in perpetuity and therefore we can no longer can envision an upper limit on "how much is too much" ammo. The answer becomes, how much can we afford to spend on ammo.
    I was in Freedom Munitions on Friday and saw bare shelves in a bulk ammo Mecca. The only rounds they had in any significant qty was .40cal. I suspect that as they resupply, the stock will immediately be absorbed by us facing a fear of a) a future of restricted ammo purchases or b) a future of significantly higher ammo prices.
    Do now fortuitous bulk ammo purchases or holdings become "investments" - only capable of being undone by resupply and uninflated pricing?

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I am sure that every seaworthy ship is loading up at Russian ports to bring more ammo to the US. They have enough reserve to bankrupt our desire to buy ammo... There will be more Tulammo than anyone has ever seen.

First the ammo is sold out, next comes the primer shortage.

Already here. Powder valley, cabelas, and Midway are already sold out of SPP and most small rifle., Thinki I may try to get in an order of .50 cal if there's any left.

mleroyl

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 23, 2012
    Cibolo, TX
    Unfortunately, I think so too. Even if one's not currently reloading a particular caliber....ugh...textbook anatomy of a run...get what you can because it may not be there or be significantly more expensive...

GaryH

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2011
    Cowtown
    I went looking for bulk .22lr and bought about 1500 rounds at the local independent gun dealer's regular price. Walmart and Academy, my usual places to buy, were out. This, and the 3000 I have in my ammo drawer, will suffice until next spring since my shooting is limited in cooler weather. I have about 1k rounds each of 9mm and .45acp that I keep on hand. So, I'm ok for now.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Last time around, it took about 18 months for all lines of ammo to recover to normal stocking levels. (If you want it, you can find it at market price).

mleroyl

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 23, 2012
    Cibolo, TX
    I'm seeing resupply occurring - just sporadically. Folks continue to absorb/ wipe out massive quantities of whatever ammo is hitting the shelves.
    Didn't see this happen last time. But I have to believe there's more manufacturing capacity today.

Top Bottom