• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Marlowe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    out in the boonies
    Well this seems to have veered so far off topic I'm not sure it even applies to the OP anymore
    Well, once you get down to it, if he is interested in it as he says he is, it's a good debate to hear both sides of... I know my views on the subject weren't simply formed in a vacuum with no others providing input..
    Capitol Armory ad

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    True, and there is never ending debate I the hunting world concerning minimum ethical caliber and maximum ethical distance etc.

Talked to a guy about a month ago who felt 300 win mag was the best white tail cartridge which seems excessive to me.

I honestly feel the OP figured out that his original plan would need some adjustment and in the interest of what he is trying to learn the debate should be kept to what he should look for in order learn long distance shooting and what would be a good rifle for elk hunting.

It seems we have hijacked his thread with our arguments.

My vote Rem 700 SPS for target in .308 (possibly in a caliber such as .223 if ammo cost is a concern for him) which can be upgraded over time as needed.

Don't hunt elk or anything that is similar to those demands so I don't have much input on the subject.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    I keep threatening to do that, just in case I ever run into any cape buffalo or grizzlies roaming the wilds up and down the lower Brazos...

I bought mine with the specific goal of getting good enough with it to take on the only game hunt that interests me. I will, before I die, stalk and take an Alaskan brown bear.
    Nothing against those of you that hunt, but deer and elk just don't do it for me. Especially the version that involves feeding the damn thing corn year round with a lazy boy set up within spitting distance of the feeder. But that's another topic.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I bought mine with the specific goal of getting good enough with it to take on the only game hunt that interests me. I will, before I die, stalk and take an Alaskan brown bear.
    Nothing against those of you that hunt, but deer and elk just don't do it for me. Especially the version that involves feeding the damn thing corn year round with a lazy boy set up within spitting distance of the feeder. But that's another topic.

Still tastes good matter how comfortable I am when I shoot, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress

I'll be your spotter, backup, or whatever...

Texastransplant

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Purmela, Texas
    7 mag is a great choice. It has just about the best ballistic coefficency that you can get. It will take any game we have here in the lower 48. Ammo is available everwhere if you don't reload your own. If you do, you can turn it into a great varmit rifle too with 120 grain hollow points. I believe at 1000 yards it will shoot with a bit less drop then 300 mag, albeit just slightly less power.

yankee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2012
    kemah, tx
    at a 1000 yards, I would want something the size of an elephant to have any reasonable chance of hitting it and something about 20mm to have any chance of killing it.... that said, out in the elements with the excitement of the chase and guesstimations of windage and range at work, accuracy is usually more operator dependent than firearm limited. In my limited experience, most any rifle will shoot better than most hunters can point it at anything over 200 yards in the field.

Sir_hellraiser

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2012
    United States
    Well let me put some things to rest

1 I am new.
    2 I dont plan on hunting at 1000 yards.
    3 I do like to try and shoot long distance at a range.
    4. My questions was mean to be a two part 1. What sa good long range rifle that can shoot 1000 yards. 2. What would be a good rifle for ELk if they can be the same gun thats great but really dont need to be.

5 Every one has opinions and thier own ideas which is cool and respect

6 I did expect to catch some hell lol

I want to thank everyone for their input I learn alot so far and i still very far away on knowledge and still learning

Sir_hellraiser

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2012
    United States
    What is the OP's definition of "new to rifles"?
    How much shooting have you done?

I never grew up around guns when i was a kid i shot my dads 357 magnum when we would go down to his place at terliguna. ONly time i got to shoot it. we never talked about guns we never hunted I shot a shot gun a few months back at my moms farm. and that is the extent of it.

I have done some bow hunting in Nebraska back 10 years ago.

So to me i am new green behind the years

Javelina23

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2012
    Houston
    I think you should look into a .270 WBY MAG. It is kind of a rare caliber, but I think it will do the trick and I can pretty much guarantee that you will be the only one in your hunting group that has one.

Bluesea112

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2012
    West
    Browning A-Bolt in 300 RUM. It is 3 rifles in one, because you can use loads with the power of a 30-06, 300 win mag, or 300 RUM.

Texas Solo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    San Antonio
    I have two schools of thought:

get a bad ass accurate 22-250 and go long range for prairie dogs. It's a blast, and you'll learn a ton about wind, mirage, and all the things necessary for long range shooting. After learning all those things, only then consider an Elk rifle. The education you get while doggin will help you make a better choice in an Elk rifle that's right FOR YOU.

Get an 06 and keep it to 500 yards.

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    I have two schools of thought:

get a bad ass accurate 22-250 and go long range for prairie dogs. It's a blast, and you'll learn a ton about wind, mirage, and all the things necessary for long range shooting. After learning all those things, only then consider an Elk rifle. The education you get while doggin will help you make a better choice in an Elk rifle that's right FOR YOU.

Get an 06 and keep it to 500 yards.

Where's the dogs at? Never seen one.
    Are they in TX?

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    xbasbajajjs